1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Too much edc? Do we really need it all?

Discussion in 'Where, When, & How Do We Carry All This Stuff?' started by BrendanH, Jul 6, 2015.

1. Schnurri

Schnurri Loaded Pockets

At least here in Germany, that rarely happens. On a train, maybe, but not very likely. And as I said: you're never really far away from civilization in Germany. So if your are going to be stuck for hours, and you know it, you can always walk to the next village and back.
    Granted, if the weather forecast indicates snow, I take some blankets and a thermos or two with to drinks. But if you have to spend the night inside your car at temperatures below freezing, than your planning has gone wrong. Over here, there is always an alternative route, somehow.

2. Devon Scout

Devon Scout Loaded Pockets

My wife once commented on my watch and shaving brush collection. Why do you need so many ? You can't wear more than one watch !

The reply, well the brushes all act differently, some are good with hard soap, some with soft, some are bowl lathering some are face. As for the watches, well my question was how many handbags do you have ? Cased closed and she's never mentioned it again. Well how could she? She's asked for a handbag for this Christmas too.

So can we have too much EDC, do we need it ? Yes because we like it and we can. Like my brushes two identical items can do different things in different ways. Well that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

3. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

Ya don't mind us Americans. We like to over prepare and carry gear around like its an apocalypse and I'm sure if there really was an emergency, we'd rather fiddle with the gear that we think we need, rather than quickly respond at that particular moment. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Schnurri

Schnurri Loaded Pockets

5. Devon Scout

Devon Scout Loaded Pockets

As a Scout I'm always prepared, usually over. I've com back from camp and thought why did I take that ? But better ready than regretting not have the tools to hand, even if I have something that will 'do'.

Cobra 6 Actual, Gallows and Nomad55 like this.
  6. Pepsi Jedi

Pepsi Jedi Loaded Pockets

What happens when the power goes down and you can't make those purchases? When their registers don't work and the scanners don't work so they won't sell you stuff as it'd mess up their inventory, or they can't make change because it's all done on the register. (Yes I'm aware most people can add and subtract but most businesses don't let um when the power goes down. They shut up shop till it comes back up) What happens when that 'thing' happens and not just you but the 500 other people around you want that same provision? When people are fighting over the beef jerky and batteries? You speak of being in urban area's and everything being possible in a few minutes, but when emergencies happen you're then competing with all those 1000s of others in the urban area for the same stuff.

There's also something to be said about preparing vs reacting. If you need something, and you have the best one of those, in a manner which you like and enjoy and know how to use, you're going to be better off than if you're scrounging at the last minute to buy what ever is on hand, that you can find, when you need it. Sure a plastic bag from Walmart will carry some stuff if you have no other bag, but a bag from 5.11 or Maxpedition will do it better, longer, and more securely. Sure you can pick up a cheep pocket knife from a store along the way, but the Gerber in my pocket, i know will last, and won't break on me in a pinch. Yeah you can buy candy bars at a gas station, but the food I carry I know won't go bad in a few days and is more than just empty sugar. etc etc etc on down the line.

Many of us here, (By nature of being on an EDC forums board) Don't trust in what we can just find around, if an emergency hits. We plan before, so we'll be ready if and when it happens. When everyone else is scrounging and fighting, even killing one another for a hot pocket or bottle of water, we're already on the go. Our EDC bag on the shoulder, ready to do our thing. It gives us a sense of security. And isn't 'paranoid'. Natural disasters happen. Storms, Earth quakes, tornados. These are things that happen all the time, and aren't end of the world type things.

7. Pepsi Jedi

What happens when the power goes down and you can't make those purchases? When their registers don't work and the scanners don't work so they won't sell you stuff as it'd mess up their inventory, or they can't make change because it's all done on the register. (Yes I'm aware most people can add and subtract but most businesses don't let um when the power goes down. They shut up shop till it comes back up) What happens when that 'thing' happens and not just you but the 500 other people around you want that same provision? When people are fighting over the beef jerky and batteries? You speak of being in urban area's and everything being possible in a few minutes, but when emergencies happen you're then competing with all those 1000s of others in the urban area for the same stuff.

There's also something to be said about preparing vs reacting. If you need something, and you have the best one of those, in a manner which you like and enjoy and know how to use, you're going to be better off than if you're scrounging at the last minute to buy what ever is on hand, that you can find, when you need it. Sure a plastic bag from Walmart will carry some stuff if you have no other bag, but a bag from 5.11 or Maxpedition will do it better, longer, and more securely. Sure you can pick up a cheep pocket knife from a store along the way, but the Gerber in my pocket, i know will last, and won't break on me in a pinch. Yeah you can buy candy bars at a gas station, but the food I carry I know won't go bad in a few days and is more than just empty sugar. etc etc etc on down the line.

Many of us here, (By nature of being on an EDC forums board) Don't trust in what we can just find around, if an emergency hits. We plan before, so we'll be ready if and when it happens. When everyone else is scrounging and fighting, even killing one another for a hot pocket or bottle of water, we're already on the go. Our EDC bag on the shoulder, ready to do our thing. It gives us a sense of security. And isn't 'paranoid'. Natural disasters happen. Storms, Earth quakes, tornados. These are things that happen all the time, and aren't end of the world type things.

Cobra 6 Actual and Gallows like this.
  8. Schnurri

Schnurri Loaded Pockets

Right. But in my direct environment, the possibility of any of these things happening is rather low. And as I said: it depends on the environment you are in. If we had these problems over here, the mindset might change. The worst thing that ever happened to me was spending 5 hours on a train that wasn't moving, somewhere between two stations. And if there's nothing severely wrong with your health, that is a time you can spend without food or drink.
    So am I living a sheltered life over here? Probably. Am I thankful for that? You bet. Would I change my EDC in another environment? Most likely.

9. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

It's not like America is all wilderness.

If you're in urban or suburban areas and don't mind leaving your personal protection up to people who have no duty to protect any individual...all you need here is cash too.

But, it makes trivial everyday problems annoying to the point that people just don't solve them.

Take hand sanitizer. If my hands get dirty or someone is overheating, I have alcohol hand sanitizer. Yes, I could go buy some...but it's quicker to already have it. If I don't have it and my hands are dirty, I just won't. I'll ignore it or wipe them on my pants or something. If I don't have it and someone is going hyperthermic, well, they're SOL unless someone else has water or a coolant handy.

That's basically how I feel about almost everything I carry. I carry a little weight and a problem that takes a few minutes turns into a problem that takes a few seconds.

The only exceptions are things I'd rather not bother with...like IDs, weapons carry licenses, keys that go to easily bypassed locks, and other "necessities" that are required for something that's actually useful.

10. turbo6

turbo6 Loaded Pockets

Do whatever makes you happy.

I typically travel light - knife, light & Shield 9mm.

I have a bag in the car with more supplies anyway.

11. Ben Rubinstein

Schnurri, do you have any idea whether people prepared in the worst times of the cold war? It all seemed far more urgent then given that Germany would have been overran first and fast. Or was the mindset more fatalistic? Just interested from a historical perspective. Applicable here too though, there's nowhere to run and nowhere to hide.

12. tweak4

tweak4 Loaded Pockets

My point from before was that you can't possibly prepare for every possible scenario without hauling around hundreds of pounds of gear all the time. You have to weigh the cost of carrying each item (in this case, bulk/weight & effort) against the likelihood of it helping out in a reasonably likely scenario. To be completely absurd, yes, it's possible that the oceans could rise suddenly and my city could find itself under 50 feet of water. And a life raft & scuba gear would definitely help out if that were to happen, but it isn't likely to happen, so I'm not going to start EDCing air tanks and flippers any time soon. Likewise, I have a good flashlight and knife. I have every confidence that they will work when I need them to, so I have no reason to EDC 5 lights and 7 knives, like some people do. I carry what I need to deal with situations that I'm reasonably likely to encounter, and adapt my load out for any trips that fall outside of my norm. For me, that usually means the pocket items that I listed before, a bottle of water & maybe a snack in the car, plus a blanket in the winter, and making sure I always have enough gas in the car to make it home the long way.
    That way, I can get through 99.9% of events I might reasonably encounter, and I don't have to worry about hurting my back or looking like one of those crazy preppers, hauling around 50lbs of gear that I probably won't need.

13. Skunk Ape

Skunk Ape Loaded Pockets

Admit it, you are one of us crazy preppers.

14. tweak4

tweak4 Loaded Pockets

I meant that to say "those crazy preppers you see on tv", but somehow the last part got cut off.
    Yeah, I'm far more prepared than the average person on the street, but I am absolutely a minimalist compared to most of the guys here. If I can't carry something comfortably in my pockets, it's not part of my EDC. Granted, it may still find a home in my work bag or diaper bag, but that's not truly EDC since only carry those when I'm going to work or going out with the kids, respectively.

15. Schnurri

Schnurri Loaded Pockets

My parents used to store provisions in the basement, but they would maybe have gotten us over four to six weeks. Unless something happened around this time of year, then we could have lived on apples, preserved pumpkin, gooseberries and rhubarb for maybe 3 months.
    Let's face it: with the new generation of nuclear bombs that have just been brought to Buechel, there is not much sense in preparing, because you can't run or hide from radiation for a long time. If these bombs should ever be put to use, it's bye-bye Germany anyway. So the situation hasn't really changed since the cold war, we're just revisiting that time right now. -And no, living in a fallout shelter for any amount of years is not an option, really.

16. Pepsi Jedi

There's actually a middle ground between "I carry my keys and cash to buy what I need" and "Carrying 50lbs of gear with air tanks and flippers.

Gallows and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  17. Skunk Ape

Skunk Ape Loaded Pockets

Does 48 lbs count as middle ground?

18. MedusaOblongata

MedusaOblongata Loaded Pockets

Yes, but 4.8 lbs is a better middle ground if you're not carrying a bag, and 14.8 if you are.

Tristar777 and Gallows like this.
  19. kensington

kensington Loaded Pockets

Am I supposed to convince people to carry lots of stuff, tell them I don't care what they think I will carry what I want to or tell everyone else they are wrong and should be like me because I am wise and smart, tell them to not carry anything because we are all going to die in the end anyway, I forget.

Ah I love the Internet. I have read bits and pieces of this and similar threads, many posts useful with people explaining why they carry what they carry, usually I don't mind when someone refutes them with a response trying to explain why they are mislead, everyone is entitled to their opinion and to share it. When it keeps going back and forth after that...

It's like those darn gun conversations... I think I may be a little punchy. Not directed at anyone specific. I like coming into these threads for the different perspectives but once the back and forth starts it becomes noise. And I know many of you are just poking each other for fun.

To try to add some substance to this thread I will say my EDC bag is packed. But I don't have to hike a mile with it nor do I carry it on me at all times. It is usually close by, at worst in my car in the parking lot.

A portion of the weight in my bag is because I only live 2 miles from our gun club and want to be ready to steal 20 minutes at the range so have a dozen or so loaded magazines, extra hundred or so loose rounds and minimal range gear. I have an old dinosaur of a laptop (6lbs'ish) and stack of work papers I imagine I will eventually read as well. Plus lots of other stuff. While it is heavy (59lbs) it is not hurting me, I am no spring chicken either, so it's fine for me.

Not uncommon for me when we go to spend the day at one of my sisters houses walking in with my pack on my back and 25lb camera bag in hand along with misc kids bags in the other. So I walk it in from the car to the house, big deal, whatever, I made it and will enjoy myself in spite of that.

Would I have had just as much fun if I did not bring all that stuff? Most likely, but again, didn't kill me to bring it either, and I will be much happier if something happens and I actually need something I brought, such as the big lens or my work laptop because I get a call or have a few minutes to kill and can get ahead on some work...

Wow, that was a lot more time than I had planned on.

20. Cheeser
    • In Omnia Paratus

Cheeser Hey Bub!

In the last week, while interstate I've carried my jumbo EDC bag every day holding first aid kit and pain meds, a small quantity of duck tape and my pocket torch and has ended up holding tickets, park maps, small purchases and my park refillable cup. My wave has been on my belt since we landed and I've used it to cut tags off purchases. My EDC buff has been in my back pocket and work as sun protection from the sun, cleaning sun screen off glasses and more than once wet down to cool my neck. EDC coin has been in my pocket all week and that's about the size of it besides phone wallet and smokes. The lightest load I've carried in months. But there was never a point where I thought gee I need....

But I'm looking forward to carrying my EDC Forum stockman or sodbuster again lol

CalicoSalsa and Gallows like this.