1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Too much edc? Do we really need it all?

Discussion in 'Where, When, & How Do We Carry All This Stuff?' started by BrendanH, Jul 6, 2015.

1. tabbywmollya

tabbywmollya Loaded Pockets

I try and carry all my needs for the day in my pockets. Hand lotion, sunblock, chapstick, edc knife, flashlight, sun glasses, some medications. My pockets are full. Guess ill need a man bag for these necessities.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Tony Sal and Redneck Bear like this.
  2. Tony Sal

Tony Sal EDC Junkie!!!

You might like to check out a Maxpedition mini pouch...

Mephysto and tabbywmollya like this.
  3. tabbywmollya

tabbywmollya Loaded Pockets

Thanks tony Ill take a look.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Tony Sal likes this.
  4. Medic1

Medic1 Loaded Pockets

I know this is an old thread but i had to add this. At work i went to the warehouse. A coworker had brought some extra ham to work. "Here..let me get you a paper towel for some of this" he says.
    "No need. I've got this" and I whipped out a folded paperplate out of my coat pocket. You never know when such an emergency can come up. Took a lot of ribbing about my edc habit.

5. JOE68

JOE68 Loaded Pockets

Everyone has different needs.
    Job, location, season, daily weather,etc - so many variables that EDC for each individual will have a staggering array of differences.
    I personally think that the load is too much/too little if YOU feel it is.
    Otherwise, look at others EDC and see if what they carry helps you in YOUR situation.
    I'm sure there will be some items that will be predominant across many people's stuff.
    Those are the ones that you should consider and go on from there.

6. EastCoastGuy

EastCoastGuy Loaded Pockets

I started out as a youngster, about 8 I guess, when my father gave me my first SAK Camper. From that day on I usually always carried it with me. It wasn't until collage when I really paid attention to situations I was not prepared for. As I go through life and experience new situations I then tweek my EDC gear so I will be ready next time. I think there is a lot of trial and error evolved.

For me my LM Wave, OKC RAT2 and Thor Fire PF03 is all I need to carry on my person. I do carry the normal stuff like a watch and cell phone as well. Now don't get me started on the first aid/trauma kit in the truck and my bag that stays in the truck.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

7. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

Paying attention is the key, a lot of motorists recently got stuck for many hours in their vehicles due to the snow we've had, only those who were prepared had a 'comfortable' time due to taking an extra bag with supplies/items.

8. EastCoastGuy

Same thing happened when tropical storm Aruthor went through the east coast of Canada years ago. There were a lot of people unprepared! It really opened my eye as to the short fallings of our families preparedness.

9. Tony Sal

Tony Sal EDC Junkie!!!

I need all my EDC stuff, my top drawer would be empty otherwise!

..sorry...

Gary Gross and Moshe ben David like this.
  10. EastCoastGuy

To each their own I say...lol! If a person feels they need all the items they carry, so be it, they do!

11. bruno_go

bruno_go Loaded Pockets

Well...there´s the stuff I carry on me, the stuff I carry on my car and the stuff I carry on my work bag.
    On me, is basically that:
    [​IMG]
    I really dont think it´s too much...maybe the gun could be lighter but I really enjoy this revolver (since 2013), maybe a Glock 19 in the future...

I realize that, on daily basis, I dont need a big MT (on me) and this configuration is a result of years changing here and there...

On my car I carry a 50oz water bottle, a Leatherman Wingman, extra Bic Lighter, an umbrella, two protein bars, handkerchief, some napkins and an extra moonclip.

On my work bag, excluding the regular stuff (laptop, cables, notepad, work documents, regular pen and earphones) I carry an extra very cheap folding knife (chinese), two extra moonclips, a Maglite Mini, one protein bar, a mini Bic lighter, extra batteries for the "on me" flashlight (AAA), a Blackhawk cheap neoprene holster for the revolver, cotton swabs and ibuprofen.

12. Aloxfox

Aloxfox Loaded Pockets

Interesting thread!

There were times when I just wanted cool, special stuff. Alone, that's why I enjoyed it. When I did not need it, I just looked for opportunities to use it. When my interest in a gadget faded, I was looking for something new. This was repeated again and again.

At some point I noticed that the few things I really need, I enjoy the most and are most important to me. Since then, I focus on these few things.

In addition my little EDC philosophy:

- It must be useful and I must have joy in it. Otherwise, I'll let it be.
    - The simpler the better.
    - As big as necessary but as small as possible.
    - Less is more. Remove what's not needed weekly.

My EDC pieces that I use for many years get a special value for me, something I can not buy. Example; my manager knives on the keychain that I have used thousands of times - I would not trade it for three identical, brand new! Do you know what I mean?

13. Journo

Journo Loaded Pockets

I used to think I needed it all. My pockets used to bulge and I used to carry a huge backpack. Now I only carry my phone and ID in my pockets and a 17L messenger bag. I am much happier and so is my back.

This doesn't prevent me from buying loads and loads of new things though.

14. Tony Sal

Tony Sal EDC Junkie!!!

Card wallet, 2- 20's and a S A K, min keyring, flashlight at night only...
    But my EDC drawer is full!!
    EDC vs :censored: debate....

15. Tony Sal

Tony Sal EDC Junkie!!!

What the heck did I type? Sorry.....

16. Redneck Bear

Redneck Bear Loaded Pockets

Exactly, I drifted away from all kinds of stuff stuffed inside my pants' and belt's pockets - now I carry just a wallet, minimized keys, Vic Farmer, phone and a handkerchief on me ("EDC"). Plus a small flashlight when roaming further away from my home or at night. The rest of it is in my EDC bag which itself got shrinked a lot. I carry a 30 liter Osprey, but it's almost empty - I want to have the excess capacity in case of school books, additional clothes or beer ... :wavespin:

Moshe ben David and Tony Sal like this.
  17. capn_tack

capn_tack Loaded Pockets

I am striving for a modular, light-weight EDC setup. Only a few things on my person at all times (a tin with actual urban stuff, wallet, keys with squeeze light and micra, bandana/buff, sunglasses as necessary, multitool and/or knife), a small carry bag to force light-weight carry (currently the Chrome Kadet Welterweight), a larger bag for longer trips (looking at the Peak Design Everyday Backpack), and GHB in each car/office as necessary, a BOB at home, and kitted out bug out locations as able.

Oh. And making sure I know how to use all the stuff I have. That's important.

While I have and will continue to have guns, on person carry is still up in the air for me. Personally have nothing against it, it's just a big decision.

18. _mg_

_mg_ Loaded Pockets

It definitely evolves. Right now, in my pockets are just my wallet, phone and a leather carrier for my bullet pen, aaa flashlight and SAK Recruit. The flashlight is probably the only thing that gets used less than daily.

In my bags I usually have Just In Case stuff: like a portable battery for the phone, boo-boo kit, notebook, lightload towel, CPR shield.

And then at work I have a fully stocked get home bag, complete with stop-the-bleed kit, tools, CERT bar, emergency rations, etc.

Tony Sal and Redneck Bear like this.
  19. Tony Sal

Tony Sal EDC Junkie!!!

I have a Maxped Mini, waiting for cargo pants season here - but I dont like the 'all eggs in one basket' concept, not bandaids, I mean loosing the good stuff I have gathered - SAK, prybar, tourch, etc!

20. speedy

speedy Loaded Pockets

No we don't is the simple answer. Argue all you want but the pile of crap becomes a result of the OCD for this stuff. Good reason I avoid this forum like the plague but just recently got myself better and got rid of 98% of all this overkill stuff. It helps to know you keep what you use often on on, and everything else get rid of or just have it stored for whatever. I can create a list but that would take too long. In short I have the following: carabiner, box cutter, Multi-tool, flashlight and I think that is about it.

bruno_go and Tony Sal like this.