1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Too much edc? Do we really need it all?

Discussion in 'Where, When, & How Do We Carry All This Stuff?' started by BrendanH, Jul 6, 2015.

1. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

You know...just the other day I had a friend who dropped a fishing pole over the side of a boat. I thought to myself, "after all these years of snickering, if I only had...a grappling hook!!"

:eek::D:D

...then my friend clobbered me with a lunch box full of fruit roll-ups and warm diet Coke's!

2. T Shrapnel-Carruthers

T Shrapnel-Carruthers Loaded Pockets

Not all, but the problem is knowing, ahead of time, which ones you will need.

Jay-uk likes this.
  3. Karmakanic

Karmakanic Loaded Pockets

I think we've all got way too much stuff. It's almost as if we're scared that somehow we won't cope without it.The folks that sell us all this gear rely on this. My father would be amused by what we consider vital necessities. My Grandfather would most likely be bemused.

4. kikaida

kikaida Loaded Pockets

My wife is a banker for Wells Fargo, she never mentioned needing a knife for work. But I guess you do. If that's what you want to carry, so be it. You're the one who has to lug it around, not me.

5. 313

313 Uber Prepared

Meh. I'm certain most of the folks here would cope just fine with just a keychain pocket knife if that were all that was available. Personally, I just like stuff. Life's too short to let things you enjoy be limited by artificial restrictions such as necessity.

6. soundlessnut

soundlessnut Loaded Pockets

I do some work out the back as well as with customers, I use a knife daily to open packages etc. The rest is in my pack in my locker for after work activities. In the post I was talking about it clearly states that I keep most of it in a pack but it all gets rotated as needed.

At the end of the day I carry what I think I might need, some may view it as too much for my profession but there's plenty of day left when work is over

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

7. soundlessnut

soundlessnut Loaded Pockets

I agree, my Leatherman would handle anything I need, do I just carry that? Nope, I love carrying gear. I at least know that I've got a tool or device that'll handle just about anything that may cross my path in the course of the day, and if I don't need it that day then maybe I will the next

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

8. Karmakanic

Karmakanic Loaded Pockets

Nothing wrong with liking stuff.
    One of the things I have noticed over the years is that guys that are used to working with all the right tools, readily available, sometimes can't cope with a situation where they find themselves, for whatever reason, without any kit, and need to improvise.
    I employed a Polish mechanic for some time and he had come from a region of Poland where 'stuff' was in short supply.He taught me a few things, despite my years of experience. One his favorite expressions: " while you go look for tools, job done".
    I like the saying " We have done so much with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing"

9. DevilPup

DevilPup Empty Pockets

I actually love that quote but at the same time I love having my tools at my disposal something i just can't seem to do with out. Ex: my lm wave every time I leave it had home because of the weight I end up needing it and regretting it.

Moshe ben David and Tony Sal like this.
  10. Bloodstriker

Bloodstriker Loaded Pockets

I'm a banker as well. While I do carry a small folding knife in my suit (Benchmade Emissary), It's not really required for anything I do that is work related. It's hand for opening mail, packages, etc. but I could easily get by with my Leatherman Squirt.

With that being said, I do carry a lot of non-work related gear in my work bag.

MCPOWoller likes this.
  11. MCPOWoller

MCPOWoller Loaded Pockets

I am in the military and work in an office with a bunch of public affairs officer. I have no need for a knife, but I carry one anyway. Peace of mind is worth the few extra ounces. I'd do the same if I was a banker or a police officer or whatever profession I had.

It's only too much gear if it slows you down from your intended mission. As a Combat Cameraman I hated carrying an M4 and would only carry my M9 9mm pistol. That is until we got shot at then I didn't have enough gear and carried an M4 EVERY TIME I left the wire after that.

Wells Fargo employees don't need a knife, they need a book on ethics after what I've seen in the news.....

12. Jay-uk

Jay-uk Loaded Pockets

If your over carry it becomes cumbersome and your likely to carry it less, therefore be unprepared.

To little leaves you stuck , for me the balance is useful but minimal good base objects on your person knife, light, multitool.

Then a pack with additional items which varies upon location, weather, task.
    Backed up by a coverall general purpose kit in a pack in the car.

All summer i used a moochi drawstring with lightweight kit, worked so much better just gone over to my rush 12 for winter , my Rush 24 lives in my Suv

13. b yond

b yond Loaded Pockets

NOT relying on a backpack or bag for EDC helps me keep it under control. There's only so much I can stuff into my pockets.

Bags are a sometimes carry.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Tony Sal and 0dBm like this.
  14. DIlan

DIlan Loaded Pockets

All of us know remember that moment when we wished to feel a few pounds lighter.
    I carry bag usually when I go on longer distance or when I know that I'll be outside few hours (mainly because of possibility that I'll need water or umbrella)

Tony Sal likes this.
  15. MedusaOblongata

MedusaOblongata Loaded Pockets

If I feel my gear is too heavy for me to carry, then I feel that I'm not strong enough, and the solution is to carry twice as much gear twice as far, then I will be strong enough.

16. Tony Sal

Tony Sal EDC Junkie!!!

I have never needed the "need and not have" items but I own all of them, in several brands and styles !!

DIlan likes this.
  17. Tony Sal

Tony Sal EDC Junkie!!!

...and I keep choosing a diff r ent knife every hour!!!

DIlan and Redneck Bear like this.
  18. Weko

Weko Loaded Pockets

[QUOTE There's only so much I can stuff into my pockets QUOTE]

You can always add more pockets;)

Colt Seavers and Tony Sal like this.
  19. Lellobeetle

Lellobeetle Loaded Pockets

I carry this monstrosity in my purse when I carry a purse (which is a Maxpedition pack of some sort - or my Vanquest Trident)

[​IMG]

20. DIlan

DIlan Loaded Pockets

A few days ago I was coming back from work and believe me I couldn't wait to arrive. I was carrying nothing but necessities and again I would rather choose to be equipped than to lack things I need.

Tony Sal and Redneck Bear like this.