1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Too much edc? Do we really need it all?

Discussion in 'Where, When, & How Do We Carry All This Stuff?' started by BrendanH, Jul 6, 2015.

1. BrendanH

BrendanH Loaded Pockets

I new to edc forums but, browsing, I can't help thinking some people carry a HUGE amount of stuff on a daily basis.
    2,3 even 4 knives, more than one pen etc.
    I have nothing like this amount of stuff but I still think there's too much in my bag, I'm a bloke Ffs
    In my bag I have;
    Lm tti OR skeletool,
    cheepo x3aaa torch,
    x2 pens (one small 'edc' pen and a spare ballpoint for work
    Small notebook
    Some meds - paracetamol,ibuprofen,zofran,PPI one dose of each, small tube of pawpaw ointment
    Sunglasses
    Umbrella
    Bic lighter
    Keys
    wallet
    -there's a spare side pouch for a drink bottle if I buy one/take one out with me, phone in my pocket, and often carry headphones in pocket or bag.
    Also just bought a lm prybar so il be carrying that too.
    I work in a hospital, don't travel far to work (10mins walk) and don't smoke.
    Anyone thing this is overkill? Or just prepared. Anyone else think there careing useless stuff just because they like it?

2. tr4022

tr4022 Uber Prepared

What, you want overkill? Go to YouTube and search for urban prepper and look at all the :censored: he allegedly carries around with him every day. I'm tellin' ya, Dude's got a serious problem. You'll feel a hhelll of a lot better about your own daily carry. Heh, just sayin'.

3. BrendanH

BrendanH Loaded Pockets

Seen that guy.
    Some days il,use a bunch of stuff, sometimes il go out, work and back using nothing except keys and bank card.. How much is essential?
    I want to get a keychain item or 2 but is it really needed?

4. Gilatabar
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gilatabar Loaded Pockets

I'm with tr4022 here, that's not too much EDC for me. I carry a lot more everyday. Coming down to the essentials only comes with experience, everybody is different

O_G, Shike, Gallows and 5 others like this.
  5. ltbarber

ltbarber Loaded Pockets

My EDC bag contains a combination of snivel, survival, medical gear. I have no idea when or where I will need it. That's why I carry it. I do try to keep everything to a functional minimum amount.

6. theirishboxer

theirishboxer Loaded Pockets

most days i carry knife, watch, wallet, phone, keys and a maxped edc pouch with a few tools and chap-stick in it. i do keep some extra stuff in my car but i don't feel like i need to strap a tool box to my back every day.

7. Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

For me 'too much' is a relative concept. What's too much for you, may be too little for me, or vice versa. My attitude is if someone wants to carry all of that stuff they must have a good reason. Also, bearing in mind my own strange EDC peccadillos I am careful to remember the Biblical quotation "Do not judge, and you will not be judged; and do not condemn, and you will not be condemned."

EDIT: This reminds me of the definition of Homeostasis as being "the property of a system in which variables are regulated so that internal conditions remain stable and relatively constant." I try to keep the internal conditions of weight and bulk of EDC remaining stable and relatively constant by determining if the external variables; such as expected tasks, weather, planned location [indoors or out, urban or rural, etc.] are "regulated."

By "regulated" I mean can they either be predicted or controlled? If they can, then my EDC remains pretty much the same from day to day. On the other hand, if I cannot reasonably predict or control the external variables -- for example, if I'm going on a hike -- then I tend to 'flex' my EDC to cover eventualities.

Thus, the appearance of too much EDC is just me allowing for uncontrollable or unpredictable external variables. Your mileage may vary!

Last edited by Cobra 6 Actual, Jul 15, 2015
  8. JHGM

JHGM Dinosaur Supervisor

Urban Prepper is an amateur compared to me...

[​IMG]

edit: He does get bonus points for his organizational skills though; impressive indeed...

9. bigfoot

bigfoot Loaded Pockets

My EDC is part daily needs, part what-if's for me and the family, and part cool gadgets that probably add too much weight. It's a never-ending battle between adding and subtracting pieces of kit. That's part of the fun, though -- figuring out what works, what doesn't, and changing things around for the heck of it.

I saw some good advice the other day about packing for travel: "Bring half as many clothes and twice as much money." That probably applies to the EDC world, too. :p

Honestly, the stuff below is probably all I need for 99.9% of things. But variety is the spice of life!

[​IMG]

10. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

Mine grows and shrinks. It grows when I find a solution to a problem I've had in the past and shrinks when I decide it's too much weight.

A few things that I rarely if ever use are part of my essential kit and don't change unless laws require it. These are things that there just are no substitute for; gun, reload, trauma kit. I hope that I'll never use them, but I always have them.

A few things, I use all the time: keys, wallet, phone, light, and knife. These don't change except where I can't have a knife...which I try to avoid.

Everything else is just out of convenience or for mild emergencies.

The only things I see in yours that I think are wasted weight are the umbrella and the leatherman.

I've never found umbrellas worth the weight to carry or the hassle to use. If I know it's going to rain, I carry a couple trash bags to use as ponchos or to wrap electronics in.

And a leatherman is always going to be worse versions of tools than just carrying them...and I've never found one that had the right combination of stuff to be worth the weight. A little pouch with a small driver set, file, and pliers can weigh less. It just needs to be in a bag.

11. PragmaticMurphyist

PragmaticMurphyist Loaded Pockets

Everyone is different and there's no right or wrong answer. Personally, here's what I don't carry:

Firstly, accumulated junk! You know, the detritus that builds up in pockets, wallets and bags over time until they're full and useful stuff is crowded out! I do a 5 minute pocket, wallet and bag dump once a week, get rid of anything I don't want to carry and check the serviceability of anything I do. It's now so automatic I hardly notice it!

Secondly, anything that would be an inconvenience to carry. There's a load of gadgets and gizmos and potentially really useful stuff out there that I'm very tempted by, but that is bulky or heavy enough that it would be a nuisance to lug around all over the place. As a rule of thumb, if I'd notice I was carrying it then I don't!

Thirdly and finally, anything that doesn't earn its keep. With a few seasonal and/or emergency exceptions, if I don't use something in a quarter then it's not worth carrying it. Items that don't get used enough get rotated out and something else gets a shot. This also helps keep my EDC appropriate as my needs change.

12. MedusaOblongata

MedusaOblongata Loaded Pockets

Believe it or not, there are some people in this world who carry a phone/wallet, and nothing else, and they seem to make it home most days, relatively unscathed. As long as nothing goes wrong, that is. And those will be the people who need to ask to use your tools, and then ask why you carry them. Other people, probably equally insane, carry just-in-case stuff, which, you know, they'll probably not need (until/unless they do, or you do).

On first glance, it could seem a little bit odd that on EDCForums people complain that people carry stuff, but, then again, this is where people come to discuss stuff that gets carried. You don't find such good EDC discussions on typewriterforums.com.

Me? I carry more than most of y'all, and do so without a bag. Some of it might come in handy, the rest of it does.

13. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

Different strokes for different folks springs to mind.

I'd say that a lot depends on where you live, what you or family/friends have experienced, how far you have to travel to work and the weather conditions etc.

14. JHGM

JHGM Dinosaur Supervisor

For the OP...

No, I don't think it's overkill...

No, I don't think you are adequately prepared (not even one bandage AND you work in a hospital???)

Yes, I carry redundant/useless stuff just because I like it.

This topic seems to pop up frequently; here's a few links from recent memory (thanx for being my memory Google)

http://edcforums.com/threads/how-far-is-too-far.107430/

http://edcforums.com/threads/is-your-edc-too-much.124013/

My reply in both threads was along the lines of this:

If you carry less than I, you are an unprepared fool...

If you carry more than I, you are a prepper nutjob...

This is all IMHO, so YMMV, and IANAL, BR549.

[​IMG]

15. tr4022

tr4022 Uber Prepared

Ultimately, Brendan, only you can decide what is necessary and what is overkill for you. Personally, I try to take a minimalist approach, mostly because I don't like to carry a lot of crud around with me. Most of the stuff I carry is boo-boo supplies for my 7 and 9-year-old boys. Remember: Less is more, and more is .... uh ... uh .... aw, dang lemme start that over again.....

Tod

16. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

There have been a couple violent home invasions not too far from here in a really nice, safe neighborhood over the post few months.

I don't know too many details, but I started carrying a couple TIHKs (tiny inconspicuous handcuff keys) on my person basically all the time. I'm trying to figure out how to add a tiny blade for zip ties.

Crazy/paranoid? Yeah. Probably. But they weigh nothing.

17. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

Only thing you need is an empty credit card......

18. ManVsLawn

ManVsLawn EDC Junkie!!!!!

Cash can be better.:D

No even better, gold pirate doubloons!

Jarhead Greasemonkey said it best, it is very similar to driving. Anyone that goes slower than you, is a old-person-time-wasting-jerk, anyone that goes faster is a speed-demon-crazy-person.

I carry what I carry because I've used it before and tend to need it every now and then.

I carry what I carry so I can be lazy, but I thank myself each time i sit down, and realize I need a pair of scissors for my in-hand-project.... and the SwissToolX is on the belt. No need to move.:rolleyes_revamped: Also, the things I carry at work are so I don't have to walk back to the truck for a full-tool set, just to knock out a tiny task.

Somedays I leave stuff behind. Some days I feel like a pack horse.

If you wanna carry everything and the kitchen sink, or nothing but a torch and small knife, that is totally acceptable and I don't think many on here would negatively judge either decision.

19. MedusaOblongata

MedusaOblongata Loaded Pockets

Actually, everyone here will judge you. They'll evaluate your EDC and determine one (or more) of the following:
    His knife is cheap, it won't work.
    His knife is just like mine, it's perfect.
    His knife is too expensive, he'll never use it.
    His knife is too expensive, he's going to scratch or break it.
    His knife is even better than mine!
    His knife is too big, he's compensating or afraid or doesn't know how to cut with a regular sized knife.
    His knife is too small, it won't cut what it needs to. I wonder if he's afraid of a real man's knife?
    His knife looks well used - I'm glad to see it. Keep on carrying and using that thing.
    His knife looks well used - he should probably replace it with a new shiny one.
    He doesn't really carry that knife, he just put it in the picture.
    I can tell he doesn't really use that knife, I wonder why he carries it.
    I wish those were legal to carry where I live.

He carries too much stuff!
    He doesn't carry enough stuff!
    I should start carrying his stuff!

Next come the evaluations of your choice of flashlights, multi-tools, guns, backup tools, lack thereof, etc.
    It's all in good fun and education.
    We read other people's EDC threads looking for ideas.

20. smokingfish

smokingfish Loaded Pockets

Haha I feel the same.

Sometimes when I ponder into the pocket dump threads, i wonder how big pockets are...

I wear a backpack to work, but I carry work related stuff (I'm a chef) and my vape stuff..

Gallows, Ironside, Gilatabar and 4 others like this.