1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

TOM BIHN

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by TOM BIHN Crew, Nov 8, 2012.

1. Loon66

Loon66 Loaded Pockets

I mounted a Kifaru frame sheet in my S-25. (Kifaru changed the stays to carbon fiber arrows vs aluminum) In the first photo you can see the arrows out of the stay pockets. The arrows are very stiff with just one in each stay pocket. They aren't needed for my loads.

[​IMG]
    I could have left them on but opted to cut off the metal tribars on the frame sheet. 2 slick clips mount it. The frame sheet doesn't interfere with the S25's o-rings.
    [​IMG]
    With the sheet mounted, it doesn't go all the way to the bottom of the pack which is good. Maybe 2" above. That allows the bottom to still mold to your lumbar area.
    [​IMG]
    I can run a Kifaru Chamber Pocket now.
    [​IMG]

2. Loon66

Loon66 Loaded Pockets

And my TB Wish list item ........ a Synapse 22.

pvsoriano likes this.
  3. Crippletron
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Crippletron Loaded Pockets

Leaving for a trip and just saw the Synapse 19 is out of stock! Any staff here that might know when there coming back?

4. Municipal_Jedi

Municipal_Jedi Loaded Pockets

Have you considered stepping up the 25? I find it a much better size for travel as I sport a larger frame. Are you looking to one bag travel? If so I would also suggest the Smart Alec, I prefer it for packing clothes and other sundry items as it is one large space.

5. Crippletron
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

I'm pretty sure I want the 19. Just looking for a weekly edc bag that can haul the daily "will need" vs "what if" gear. I own larger bags and want something non tactical and smaller, also I'm short. The Smart Alec does have some appealing features.

6. steeps

steeps Loaded Pockets

Call the store and ask them if they have any on the shelf?

7. Crippletron
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Back in stock!

steeps likes this.
  8. Loon66

Loon66 Loaded Pockets

Put a thin framesheet in my Daylight with a short keyper to the side o-rings to keep it tight. Feels good.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

powerring likes this.
  9. Crazy Chester

Crazy Chester Loaded Pockets

Quick question for those in the know regarding Tom Bihn colors. Why can't you place an order for a color combo you want? I'd love to order my wife a Blue Pilot with an orange interior, but I have not seen that combo listed. Heck, I don't even mind waiting for quit some time, but would like to get the color combo I want.

Is there a reason they do not do this (maybe they do by phone, but I have always ordered online)?

10. steeps

steeps Loaded Pockets

It can be difficult to get the Dyneema lining in large enough quantities. So when it gets ordered every square inch is used to its best potential. It also creates demand when a certain color combo is available in limited quantity. Announcements will also be made when TB doesn't know when a particular fabric will ever be available again.

11. Municipal_Jedi

Municipal_Jedi Loaded Pockets

Part of the reason is also standard manufacturing practice, workflow and order tracking. TB is not a custom shop but a boutique manufacturer. They have "standard" combinations that they produce. It's the same reason you can't call them and say you would like a Pilot but without the interior pockets in the main section and ask that they divide the external rear pocket.

As for orange there is no orange interior available any longer the Zest colorway was a special one time production.

steeps likes this.
  12. Crazy Chester

Crazy Chester Loaded Pockets

Makes sense I guess. I worked for a U.S. small equipment manufacturer for some time, and they had shifted to a process called lean manufacturing. They made the machines once orders were placed. They seldom had anything sitting on a shelf. Customers could not order specialty itmes, but they could pick or choose a limited number of options. For this company, shifting to lean manufacturing really helped them.

Maybe for Tom Bihn, this wouldn't work, but it would be cool to be able to pick from available colors inside and outside so you could get the color combo you want.

13. SIGcurious

SIGcurious Empty Pockets

I have a Synapse 19 in solid black Dyneema. I like its weight savings and the way it repels my dog's hair. I don't know if this was a special run on the solid color at the time, but I would love to see it offered again. Any chance of the solid Dyneema coming back? Thanks.

14. SIGcurious

SIGcurious Empty Pockets

Just to follow up, I found out the material of my Synapse was a limited edition420d HT nylon Classic Parapack. Great material! Please do another run! See this blog for more info: http://blog.tombihn.com/parapack

15. Groundpounder

Groundpounder Loaded Pockets

I am replacing my Synapse 25 with an Empire Builder as my EDC/Laptop bag. The job I have now is better suited to having a "real" laptop bag vs a backpack. I plan on holding on to my Synapse for overnight trips or hiking, or whatever.

Speaking of my Synapse, it still looks brand new, despite being close to 2 years old, and having been in and out of airplanes, airliners, cars, hotel rooms and not being babied. I've never paid $200 for a backpack before, but it looks like it could last forever, unlike the $50 backpacks that would last maybe 2 years. I don't regret my purchase at all.

dplafoll and steeps like this.
  16. Schaferhund

Schaferhund Loaded Pockets

Just about to order a BrainBag –– been a long-time Kifaru user (as my posts will show) but new career with lots of travel potential means I'd like something less strappy, less militaristic and much more designed for laptop carry (will get a Brain Cell too... looks awesome). Excited!

Crippletron likes this.
  17. burningcrow

burningcrow Loaded Pockets

Hey!

Quick question for Synapse19 owners:

I'm currently figuring out which size Synapse to order ... I need to carry a MacBook Pro 15" and a medium TriStar packing cube full of clothes when biking to work. Does this – and additionally some other EDC tidbits like a power brick, a book, an organizer cube – fit into the Synapse19 or do I have to go for a 25?

Thanks for your insights!

Daniel.

18. Jeff Abraham

Jeff Abraham Empty Pockets

Hi Daniel,

I have a Synapse 25 that I got specifically for a MacBook Pro 15". I felt the Synapse 19 was just a bit small for all the extra stuff. Adding in your medium Tri-Star cube to the mix I would definitely go for the Synapse 25. It's a great backpack which can expand to fit a ton of gear and also remain small when not packed to its fullest. Good luck and hope you love it!

Jeff

burningcrow likes this.
  19. burningcrow

burningcrow Loaded Pockets

Thanks Jeff!

I thought so but wanted to be sure ... now I have to wait until the right colors become available again! ;)

Jeff Abraham likes this.
  20. steeps

steeps Loaded Pockets

Yes Synapse 25 for sure!