1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

TOM BIHN

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by TOM BIHN Crew, Nov 8, 2012.

1. JT2V

JT2V Loaded Pockets

This thread is getting a wee bit dusty back here. I was on the website today and noticed the Pilot. Is this a new bag? Or do i have selective memory?

JonSidneyB likes this.
  2. NYForesterXT

NYForesterXT Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]
    My Smart Alec along for a ride in my truck. Thanks for making a perfect Edc/ hiking pack! Although I'm wondering if I should have bought a Synapse 25 instead. Well, maybe next time.
    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

JonSidneyB likes this.
  3. forestgrump
    • In Omnia Paratus

forestgrump Loaded Pockets

If in doubt buy both.

I did :D

TOM BIHN Crew and JonSidneyB like this.
  4. NYForesterXT

NYForesterXT Loaded Pockets

Haha I may end up doing just that. I'd like the Synapse in Nordic Dyneema though, so it will have to wait a bit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

JonSidneyB likes this.
  5. TOM BIHN Crew
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer

TOM BIHN Crew Loaded Pockets

Ahh, man, we didn't even post about the Pilot here? You know we're deep in the design/strategy phase for our next big thing when that happens...

The Pilot is a new bag; it's a bigger version of the Co-Pilot, with a few updates. Here's the full scoop.

And some photos...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Heavyduti and powerring like this.
  6. Al Effendi

Al Effendi Loaded Pockets

Check out Snopes dot com and click on the Feb. 5 link entitled "Bihn label."

I remember when that first got press in 2004. I bought my first Bihn Bag that very day!

7. bubbaj

bubbaj Loaded Pockets

I have the SA also and often wonder if I am better off with the synapse. But then i look at my SA and I love it. But I will be buying a synapse soon lol, all that organization is calling to me.

8. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

There's nothing wrong with owning both. They're very different bags.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

9. Chiro75

Chiro75 Loaded Pockets

I like my Synapse 25 but it just doesn't hold enough stuff without losing it's shape in a big way and becoming very uncomfortable to carry (i.e. things pushing through the back padding). I don't stuff it and I've obsessively played around with carrying the loads different ways, but it just seems to fill up really fast before it becomes awkward and frustrating to carry. I think the issues I have with it would be solved almost entirely by a full-size stiffener in the back. It's the worst if I have a water bottle in the bottle pocket because that forces the load in the main compartment to redistribute strangely.

Typical loadout is small Macbook Air in TB Cache (LOVE this), pouch with headphones and misc travel stuff (Kleenex, etc, basically a large admin pouch), thin RHodia annual planner and a few odds and ends in the main compartment. Water bottle in the designated compartment. If I need to add, say, a sweatshirt to the main compartment, then all heck breaks loose and it becomes a nightmare to carry and I'm constantly shifting the load around. Helps a little to take the H2O bottle out and move it to the main compartment, but then what's the point of the H2) pocket? LOL

I SOOOOO want to love this bag because I love the way it looks, I love the layout, I love the organization, but if it's uncomfortable to carry with what I consider a moderate load I feel like that's a deal breaker. Going to keep working on it, though! Am I alone in my frustration with the Synapse, or are there others who've run into the same problems?

10. powerring
    • In Omnia Paratus

powerring Loaded Pockets

The Synapse 25 can hold an amazing amount in an organized fashion and it is easy to overload as a result (more so than the smaller Synapse 19 which I EDC). I too think a minimal frame sheet would be an interesting addition to the pack but I recognize the weight penalty that would involve. I find using a laptop sleeve in back to help to give the Synapse 25 additional structure helps.

11. Loon66

Loon66 Loaded Pockets

I'd like to see a narrow frame sheet in the SA & S25 and more shoulder strap padding for comfort.

mevsme and powerring like this.
  12. vicentedepablo

vicentedepablo Empty Pockets

What about a vertical freudian? I am still deciding on the bag (browsing this thread following some fellow members' advice but most likely GR2) but for sure I am Stuffing it with TB complements because I am sure I will eventually build a TB collection in the near future...

I will get a vertical Freudian for the small compartment of GR2 as an admin and for papers. Do you know if it fits below GR2's pouch?? Any thought?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Marty19121

Marty19121 Empty Pockets

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if a horizontal freudian slip fits in the new SBL thin front pocket briefcase. I've looked at the specs and it look like it would fit, although it would be snug.

Thanks

14. Jabbalaugh

Jabbalaugh Loaded Pockets

Why is Tom Bihn so insanely expensive???

15. cowsmilk

cowsmilk EDC Junkie!!!!!

Compared to what? There are a lot of high quality bags on the market, and yes, they cost more to purchase.

16. Jabbalaugh

Jabbalaugh Loaded Pockets

I guess what I meant was are Tom Bihn products really worth the extra $ or is it more of a social status or icon like Apple products and so on...

And in terms of other bags I just bought a Fireman's Bootstrapper Briefcase from Duluth Trading Company for $100 less than most of Bihn's bags. Don't mean to ruffle feathers, it was a legit question in terms of whether or not I should shell out the big bucks for a Tom Bihn bag or not.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. cowsmilk

cowsmilk EDC Junkie!!!!!

No feathers ruffled, I just didnt know what the context was in your statement, besides the prices are high. I agree it was a legit question, and there should be no problem with you asking it, it was just fairly open ended and hard to answer cleanly.

Jabbalaugh likes this.
  18. mbakes

mbakes Loaded Pockets

It might have something to do with it being made in the USA by people paid a living wage out of good quality materials and design. For some that is worth some extra money. That is not a shot at someone buying a Duluth bag which I believe is imported. I've bought things that are not made in the USA but try to when I can and think the extra value is worth the extra money.

onebadwagon and Jabbalaugh like this.
  19. hunter s gatherer
    • In Omnia Paratus

hunter s gatherer EDC Junkie!!!

Form follows function; an old design adage. I think personal style determines a lot of the stuff we buy. Are you a Bihner or an Oxer (or insert anything else -er).
    We want our stuff to function for us as we intend, but we want it to follow our personal form as well.

20. powerring
    • In Omnia Paratus

powerring Loaded Pockets

I don't think Tom Bihn bags are particularly expensive given that they're U.S. made, thoughtfully designed, impeccable quality, and use excellent materials from top to bottom. I have zero regrets over anything I've ever bought from them.

I have several Duluth Trading packs and bags as well. I regard them as well made and functional as well, so no slight intended to them. They are imported which would account for some of the price difference.

I don't think it's a status or brand issue because TB is a small company that doesn't have the mind share of say Apple or BMW. I don't believe I had ever heard of them before joining EDCF.

I'd say Duluth Trading is going for the Filson look, which might be a more direct comparison. Most Filson bags are U.S. made as well.