1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

TOM BIHN

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by TOM BIHN Crew, Nov 8, 2012.

1. bigfoot

bigfoot Loaded Pockets

Well, look what the brown truck of joy delivered today -- I should be all set on pouches for my Synapse 19 for a while now... :D

[​IMG]
    http://flic.kr/p/f5PoDG

powerring, TARFU and TOM BIHN Crew like this.
  2. KDOG08

KDOG08 Loaded Pockets

Got my order too. A glowire (green) for the SA, a ultraviolet keystrap and of course the free pouch.

Question about the Glowire. Can the other color wires be ordered separatley?

3. TOM BIHN Crew
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer

TOM BIHN Crew Loaded Pockets

Good question and you're the first to ask. Let me check and see if we're planning on stocking the wires only. In the meantime, you can order the color wires separately from Glowire.

And as long as we're talking Smart Alec... this one carried dinner last weekend on a little picnic:

[​IMG]

Cornholio2188 and bigfoot like this.
  4. KDOG08

KDOG08 Loaded Pockets

Cool. Thats how I laced my glowire through on mine.

OOOOOOOHHHH I even see there's a threeway splitter for it..... possiblilities.

Last edited by KDOG08, Jul 9, 2013
  5. sbakker
    • In Omnia Paratus

sbakker Loaded Pockets

Nice cirque. I'll be taking mine up some mountains this summer - I'll post pics when I get up there!

6. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

Steel Dyneema seems to be your favorite. :) Care to share us why? Also, did you buy the orange cord separately?

7. wretched_youth

wretched_youth Loaded Pockets

My new Tom Bihn Side Effect arrived today. Obviously early days (hours) but very impressed with build quality. It'll probably live in my EDC bag but I could live with it looking like a "European" (TM Seinfeld) if I carry it around.

[​IMG]

TOM BIHN Crew and bigfoot like this.
  8. steeps

steeps Loaded Pockets

Looks like my new co-pilot, accessories, rwb pouch, etc. are due to arrive Monday. I was hoping they would arrive by Friday.

9. TOM BIHN Crew
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer

Yup, I'm definitely partial to our Dyneema/nylon fabric. I like that it's lighter in weight than other fabrics and that it repels dog hair (I may be covered in dog hair, but my bag won't be...) I also think it's a really cool looking, technical fabric. I tend towards my big/main bag being a color like Steel or Black and smaller/interior/organizer bags being brighter colors like Iberian, Wasabi, Ultraviolet.

That orange bungee/cord is something we'll soon be offering for sale. It's super high quality cord, made in Japan. Will be available in six colors: red, olive, purple, blaze orange reflective, grey, black reflective. (I think the next batch of Smart Alec will have a solid black non-reflective bungee cord standard.)
    Ahh, sounds like your order was delayed because of the RWB pouch... we were beyond busy with RWB pouch orders and had to make more this week just to fill orders from last week.

10. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

This is purely based on personal opinion. What is your favorite TB back pack, messenger bag, and carry on bag (tri star, aeronaut etc)?

11. KarasuStatus

KarasuStatus Loaded Pockets

Having trouble deciding between a synapse 19 or synapse 25 for my edc bag transfering to a less tactical look from my TAD gear fastpack edc (which i keep about 1/3 to half empty to accommodate any items I may accumulate throughout the day or store a jacket or sweatshirt from the cold mornings that is too hot to wear later in the day.) I also carry about the same amount I imagine would fit in a maxped falcon. I am 5'8" and 140 for reference size (pretty :censored: scrawny) and don't want the bag to look huge on me... any input? This bag will be intended for EDC and weekend bag as well as for maybe a day hike now and then (essentially what I use my fast pack for but would like a none tactical alternative for when the fastpack isn't appropriate)

12. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

I'd go with the 19 given your size and the fact that you never fully leveraged the capacity of the EDC when you had it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

13. KarasuStatus

KarasuStatus Loaded Pockets

I would end up using the full capacity of the edc when packing it on weekends and it gets full when I take my morning jacket off... would I not be able to do that still with the 19? In the EDC i could fit my needs for the entire weekend... not sure if that will suffice if the 19 is smaller than the pygmy falcon which as too small for my needs according to most people's input. Also when College picks up again in the fall textbooks will become a factor again...

14. KDOG08

KDOG08 Loaded Pockets

Smart Alec.

15. Municipal_Jedi

Municipal_Jedi Loaded Pockets

I've never had a Pygmy Falcon but I do own a Synapse 25 and it is a decent size. I wouldn't say it looks huge but it holds huge (I can pack for a multiple week trip in it). I would not, personally, be comfortable carrying it everyday (I prefer a small EDC kit) but I can see where it wouldn't be uncomfortable or out of place. The layout and pockets of both Synapses make for a deceptively large holding capacity. The 25 is very close in size to Camelbak Trizip but I feel it holds my load better, the 19 should be perfect for a weekend and around town type carry.

16. acv

acv Loaded Pockets

The 19 is smaller than the pygmy falcon. The 25 is similar ( & better IMO) than the pygmy falcon.

I went from the pyg falcon to the 19 and found it was way too small for me. I now have a 25 which is a much better size for me and fits a lot better. I'm 6' - 185#'s. I found the 25 to be a "normal sized" pack and the 19 to be on the small size. I also found the design/layout of the 25 to be far superior for EDC than the pyg falcon. I never really liked the pyg falcon for EDC - I do really like that bag for other reasons and don't plan to give it up - but the 25 is my main EDC.

17. JB in SC

JB in SC Loaded Pockets

I
    The Side Effect is handy. I carried one clipped inside my small Cafe bag at the Blade show this year. With the attaching clip, no worries about it getting away from me. For some reason they forgot to send the shoulder strap. My wife is eyeing it for carry during wet weather. I need to contact them about it.

18. TOM BIHN Crew
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer

You got me here. That's a tough one. We have a "lending library" here so that each of us can use every different style of bag. And I personally own... I've lost count. And I get to use prototypes sometimes and I can't tell you about those. So with the caveat that it's difficult for me to pick favorites, here's my best attempt:

Backpack: mostly the Synapse 19 for summer hiking or Smart Alec for winter hiking. Honestly, I haven't used the 25 all that much yet. I get attached to the bags I regularly use.

Messenger Bag: Not technically messenger bags, but I carry a Little Swift in Cork and I have a million Shop Bags. I carry my laptop in a Brain Cell and iPad mini in a Cache for iPad mini. I'm not much of a messenger bag person these days.

Carry-on: I'd say the Aeronaut, for the majority of my trips. Depending on the time I have, I can be (or try to be) a very organized packer or a "!!! Running out of time!! I just have to throw a bunch of stuff in the bag and go!" kind of packer. I like how I can just basically live out of the Aeronaut without ever unpacking it. It's a great bag to take (car) camping.

And then there's all the Travel Stuff Sacks, Cubes, Pouches, Clear Organizer Wallet, Key Straps, etc., of course.

19. sbakker
    • In Omnia Paratus

sbakker Loaded Pockets

I think I need a summer job with you guys.

antman157 and TOM BIHN Crew like this.
  20. KDOG08

KDOG08 Loaded Pockets

I'm still trying to decide what clip in cache/brain cell for the iPad I can put in my Smart Alec.