1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

TOM BIHN

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by TOM BIHN Crew, Nov 8, 2012.

1. TOM BIHN Crew
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer

TOM BIHN Crew Loaded Pockets

Hey everyone,

We're TOM BIHN: we make backpacks and travel bags in our Seattle factory. Tom Bihn -- the guy -- has been designing and making bags since 1972.

Using the best materials (and using them in the right application) is one of the things for which we are known. 1050d U.S. high tenacity ballistic nylon (in our own custom colors), YKK zippers, and two weights of Japanese nylon/Dyneema rip-stop, are just a few of the tricks up our sleeves.

And we design everything we make:
    "The constant operating principal behind the process is this: I don't want to make something that is already out there. It has to be unique — work better, look better, last longer, fill a niche that no one else has filled. I keep in mind that, because our products last (almost) forever, I have a responsibility to make them be very useful and as handsome as possible as well: I personally don't like being around things that are not pleasing to the hand and eye, especially on a semipermanent basis. I feel in a small way like an architect." —Tom Bihn

If you discover our bags and our company through these forums and choose to place an order with us, put this code in the comments box during the checkout process on our website: EDCForums

This will identify those of you who found us through these forums and help us, in turn, support the EDC Forums.

If you have questions about our bags, need help finding the right bag, or even have a question about materials, let us know -- we'd be glad to help. Keep in mind that we're a pretty small company and it might take us a little while to post a response, though we'll try our best to be prompt.

We're glad to be a part of such an awesome forum and have already been welcomed by some of you in another thread: thanks, it's great to be here.

2. defuse kit

defuse kit Loaded Pockets

Glad to have you on board. I've been eyeing a Synapse for the longest time and now I'm extra motivated to make that a reality!

3. Roger

Roger Loaded Pockets

Welcome aboard!

EveryDayBeer likes this.
  4. mooshi
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

:wavespin: Hi! Welcome to our family. :D

5. cowsmilk

cowsmilk EDC Junkie!!!!!

Welcome!

My Avatar says:
    "PERVERT -- Stop looking at my udders!"

6. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

Welcome to EDCF, glad to see you here!

All right, I have a question: you used to have bright yellow (solar?) lining in some backpacks, but I can't find that color option now. Do you have any plans to bring it back some day? Some day soon? Please?

tower likes this.
  7. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

I also have a question for the Tom Bihn Crew. I'm 6'4 and all your backpacks fall within the 18 to 18.5" range in terms of length. I find, due to my long torso, bags that are 20" or longer fit me better and look proportionally correct on my longer frame.

Have you had similar feedback from some of your taller customers and any plans to make something along those lines? Maybe a XL (slightly longer/larger) version of your Synapse backpack? Sorry, don't mean to put you on the spot here on your first day in the forum, but I've been curious about that for a while. ;)

8. TOM BIHN Crew
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer

Tom is working on a bigger (longer and larger) version of the Synapse but we don't yet have an ETA on it. Thanks for giving specifics on what length of bag would work better for someone your height -- that helps.

FYI, as this might help other tall folks:
    Here's a review of the Smart Alec, with photos of it being worn, by a guy who is 6'3" and here's a photo of Tom wearing the Smart Alec
    Tom is 6'0" and has a long torso; the Synapse is a good size pack for him, but it could feel too small/short for anyone taller.
    This photo shows a customer who is 6'8" wearing the Tri-Star over one shoulder.

These are good questions. Keep 'em coming.

amdmaxx and bigfoot like this.
  9. TOM BIHN Crew
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer

Thanks, it's good to be here.

We replaced Solar with Wasabi back in July. Solar was also one of our favorite lining colors, but we're always changing/trying new things. Wasabi had long been a popular color in our 500d Cordura, and it looked great in the nylon/Dyneema dye subs we received back from the mill in Japan, so we decided to give it a go. Wasabi has been popular (we even ran out of it a couple of months ago) but Solar does have quite a following.

I'll take your post as a vote for Solar to return. If we do decide to bring it back, that might not happen for a while, though, as we're pretty invested in Wasabi. The question becomes: do we offer Solar and Wasabi, or one or the other?

10. Lynx
    • In Omnia Paratus

Lynx Loaded Pockets

Welcome to EDCForums. :)

11. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

Yeah, but see how low he has the pack riding on his back? That's what we tall guys do when the pack isn't long enough for us. But, whenever you're carrying a heavier loadout, it's better to pull the straps in tight to distribute the weight more evenly (those of us who have backpacked can attest to that). Do that and now that pack would be falling about two inches higher on his back.

The reviewer mentioned the GoRuck GR-1 in part I of his review. How long is it? 20" ;)

Of course, I'm not saying that's a show stopper with the Smart Alec. I'd have to give it a run to see for myself. But, knowing your great attention to detail, I hold you guys to a higher design standard and was hoping you might have something on the drawing board. Great to hear you're working on a new Synapse

Anyway... that's it - carry on. Good to have you here!

12. jemhouston

jemhouston Loaded Pockets

Welcome, your reputation for quality is all too rate these days.

13. bigfoot

bigfoot Loaded Pockets

Welcome to EDCF and so glad you folks are on board!

14. xbanker
    • Administrator

xbanker Geriatric Admin
    Staff Member

Delighted to have forum participation from a world-class operation like TOM BIHN. Here's hoping that it's mutually beneficial to you and the forum/Jon.

SAKplumber likes this.
  15. Idaho Gunslinger

Idaho Gunslinger Loaded Pockets

Welcome! It will be great having the perspective of such a renowned bag maker here. Always great hearing manufacturers opinions. It makes a huge difference. (For example, Sal Glesser at Blade Forums) A Tom Bihn bag is at the top of my list once I save enough pennies to get around to buying a bag.

16. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

Welcome, glad to see another manufacturer join the forum.

17. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

Shameless plug:

Don't forget this part.

"If you discover our bags and our company through these forums and choose to place an order with us, put this code in the comments box during the checkout process on our website: EDCForums"

18. Akilae
    • +1 Supporter

Akilae Loaded Pockets

It's good to see TB appearing on the forums! Hopefully this partnership will do good for both parties!

19. Jute

Jute Loaded Pockets

TB, welcome to the forum! This above is great news as I have been wanting a larger version of the Synapse for some time now. It has exactly the organization I want but at 16" in length it is just too small for a big guy like me. Will be anxiously watching this thread and the TB website for any news on this pack.

TARFU likes this.
  20. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

Thanks. I like good visibility inside bag and yellow usually works well in that regard, that's why asked after it. But the wasabi looks nice too, so either is fine with me. I'll give a try, one of these days... (I'm in Europe, and long-distance ordering always requires some planning, thinking and procrastination.)