1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Tom Bihn Cafe bags vs Nutsac bags

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by bryan123, Nov 1, 2016.

1. bryan123

bryan123 Loaded Pockets

Hi,

Looking for a smaller sized man-bag/ satchal and narrowed it down to these two. Any suggestions?

It looks like both lines are of great quality and that the Bihn bags vertical and the Nutsac bags are horizontal. The Nutsac bags are also about twice as much for comprably sized bags.

Thanks

Last edited by bryan123, Nov 1, 2016
  2. Jay-uk

Jay-uk Loaded Pockets

Wont be a popular call but ive found TB bags to vary vastly in quality ,aeronaut was great backpack i had was worst buy ive ever made

3. Municipal_Jedi

Municipal_Jedi Loaded Pockets

Was it a quality issue or compatibility issue (being that you and the bag were not compatible)? I have a fair amount of Bihn gear and have found it all very well made. There are some things I have owned that I didn't care for because the design, purpose or sizing was not a good fit for me but it has never been a workmanship issue. If there was a workmanship failure their customer service is excellent and works to resolve the issue. And the nice part is the bags retain resale so you can pass it to the secondary market.

For the OP, I don't personally care for the Cafe Bag line because I don't care for vertical bags. I found the flap of the Cafe bags allow for easy access to items inside, can be good or bad depending. I tended to spill items out of the bag if the flap was not secured when I would lay down or shift the bag. I also dislike that the strap is fixed, about 1/2 the time I put the bag on the strap would get twisted. It's easy to fix but I prefer swivel straps that allow for on body correction.

The NutSac collection is interesting but not really my style and I've not handled them so I can't comment on their quality.

bryan123 likes this.
  4. bryan123

bryan123 Loaded Pockets

That's helpful....Is there another line of bags that you would recommend I check out? Thanks

5. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Take a look at Waterfield or SFBags they are called.

I have been a Bihn user for a long time too and have never heard of anyone not satisfied from workmanship after asking the company for help,except maybe myself about a strap issue once.

On the other hand the Bihn is not known as the best for organization when compared to many of the more Tactical type bags which might have them beat on a count of pockets easily 3 to 1 or more.

If it was a design issue that is one thing but if it was a service or quality issue tell us what it was exactly?

6. Municipal_Jedi

Municipal_Jedi Loaded Pockets

I'm assuming you are looking on the smaller side of things. I would check out the Co-Pilot by Tom Bihn it has way more organization than the Cafe bags has a removable strap, dedicated bottle pocket, a better carry handle and is a zip closure. It is more expensive but in the ballpark of the NutSacs.

I haven't come across a small horizontal satchel/messenger that is exactly what I want either. I may need to learn how to sew in order to make my own.

bryan123 likes this.
  7. bryan123

bryan123 Loaded Pockets

Hi, yes looking for something on the smaller side and pretty simple. Something to throw smartphone, wallet, keys, small notebook, pen or 2, SAK and maybe a few other small EDC items into so I can unburden my pockets. If it would accomidate my Vanquest PPM that would be great.

Right now I'm using a cotton khaki Samsonite/ American Tourister shoulder bag that's about 9x11 inches that I picked up for very little $ at American Science and Surplus that's no longer available. I'll keep using it til I find something that I like better.

8. KDelta

KDelta Loaded Pockets

How about a Bolstr small carry EDC? Or a Hazard 4 Tonto if you like something more tactical.

9. anthro-2010

anthro-2010 Loaded Pockets

If your looking for a small messenger Timbuk2's classic messengers csnt be beat. They make them in several sizes and have a customizable version, different fabric colors, inserts, etc. They also make a Catapult sling that's smaller than their smallest messenger, but can accommodate keys, wallet,etc.
    I have to TB Cafe Bags. There are both good quality, but I find the lack of structure in the bag leaves it falling over all time.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

10. anthro-2010

anthro-2010 Loaded Pockets

. I can transfer my edc to my Cafe Bag tonight if you'd like to see one loaded out with an edc. I know a lot of times the stock photos on the Web make a bag look like it's going to be better or worse than it is.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

bryan123 likes this.
  11. 343KD

343KD Loaded Pockets

Maybe check out Defy bags, specifically their "Defender".
    Timbuk2 is a solid choice