1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Todd Begg Tree Frog neck knife

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by jujigatame, Sep 17, 2007.

1. jujigatame

jujigatame Loaded Pockets

First a bit of explanation. This review was originally done in mid-July of this year when I participated in a knife passaround. It was posted at both Bladefoums and CK&G. Now that I have one of my own, I'm posting this review here and will be adding to it periodically as I carry and use the knife more.

Thanks to the generosity of Todd and Tanya Begg making some of their knives available for a passaround, I had the chance to use a Tree Frog neck knife for 5 days. I did a few cutting exercises and took some pictures which are shown below along with some of my thoughts on the knife.

First, we take a measurement. The blade is bit over 2” and overall the knife measures about 4 5/8”.

[​IMG]

Now some shots to show the clean lines and grinds on the knife. If you own or have seen a Begg knife in person you know how well done and well finished they are.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Moving on to the handle and how it fits when you hold the knife.

[​IMG]

Your fingers settle in, the thumb rests on top and immediately you have a solid grip. The thumb grooves help a lot with the grip. Really, I like to have those grooves for the thumb on any necker.

[​IMG]

The peak (almost like a trigger) between the middle and index finger really adds to the grip. It’s big enough to give very solid purchase but not so big that it feels obtrusive or uncomfortable.

[​IMG]

If you want to hold the knife in reverse grip it’s pretty good in that position too.

[​IMG]

Okay, on to everyone’s favorite activity – cutting stuff. I grabbed four items within arm’s reach of my desk and put the edge to use. First was a page out of an AG Russell catalog, which is very thin paper. I made cuts into the edge at about 45 degrees using the tip, then the middle and back end of the blade. All parts bit and cut into the paper equally well.

[​IMG]

Next we had a small box made of corrugated cardboard. (I’m sure some folks will recognize the size and shape of the box as being from a certain knife selling pharmacy in Virginia :) )

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The first cut was vertically down one of the corners,

[​IMG]

After that I separated all sections of the box. This took about 40 seconds. Cutting against the grain, as it were, provided no impediments. Also, the tip of the knife fully penetrated the cardboard with little force needed, no matter if it was one layer or three stacked together. Although the time spent cutting in this case was quite short, what I noticed about the knife was that I didn’t really notice it all. By that I mean the knife feels very natural in hand, like an integral part. You just grip it and go. No fiddling or readjusting. It’s ready to cut without delay.

[​IMG]

Next was a section of heavy boot lace about 6 inches long.

[​IMG]

I set the lace on the cardboard back of a legal pad. When I cut I set the knife on top of the lace anywhere from 1/3rd to 1/2 of the way back from the tip and then pulled back while pressing down with light pressure. The knife easily drew through and I quickly had about 20 little pieces.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The last item was on old long-sleeved cotton polo shirt. The fabric was medium weight.

[​IMG]

First thing was to make downward slashes with moderate force using just my forearm (all motion was at the elbow, nothing with the shoulder) at the front on the shirt. Again, the tip penetrated very easily and we soon had a shirt that looked like it’d been worn by a victim in a Nightmare on Elm Street movie, minus the blood.

[​IMG]

Next was a horizontal cut of the collar, probably 8” or so.

[​IMG]

After that I twisted up one of the sleeves and held both ends in my fist, leaving a thick loop of multiple layers.

[​IMG]

I put the blade in the loop and held it up snug against the inside, then pulled through in one quick stroke, going upwards and outwards.

[​IMG]

This cut was no problem at all, though I probably used more force than was needed, just to make sure I didn’t get stuck halfway through and tweak my wrist.

Conclusions? I love this knife, though that was pretty much a given since it’s a Begg necker. It feels great and cuts great. The tip can do small detailed cutting if you need it to or it can punch through tougher material with ease. The knife’s small size makes it very easy to carry, but it also belies the knife’s cutting ability. For all the other things I cut around the house with the Tree Frog that weren’t pictured above, it was flawless. Don’t sleep on this one, it’s a champ.

Thanks again to Todd and Tanya for the chance to use the knife.

2. parnass

parnass Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the review. Did the knife come with a case? Perhaps I missed it in your review.

3. LZ

LZ Loaded Pockets

That IS a real beauty...and an excellent review too!

What is the blade steel used on that knife and can you post a link to where these can be purchased?

4. Taddy

Taddy Empty Pockets

The Tree Frog is an awesome knife and comes with a nice Kydex sheath.

5. jujigatame

The knife did not have a sheath when I had it on the passaround, hence there not being one in the pics taken at that time. The one I just received has kydex from Rob Hummelbaugh at Survival Sheath Systems, who I think does most, if not all, of the kydex work for the Beggs. I'll try to have some pics of the sheath up tomorrow.

Blade steel is 154CM. I bought mine directly from the Beggs after being in contact with them following the passaround. For dealers that have carried their recent work you can check...

True North Knives
    EDC Knives
    Arizona Custom Knives

I did see Tree Frogs available at AZCK probably within the past month, but haven't checked recently. FWIW, I have had excellent service on purchases with all three dealers, more than once with EDCK and AZCK.

6. jujigatame

Okay, some pics of the sheath.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I like the green, a nice break from the usual black. The thumb serrations on the top of the knife do chew at the inside of the sheath a bit if the angle at which you replace the knife is off, but I'll take that over having shallower serrations or no serrations at all because they really help with the grip. Further entry and exit should break in the sheath some more in this area and smooth things out.

7. Sharpdogs

Sharpdogs Uber Prepared

Excellent review! I am always looking for good neck knives.

8. gizzyeq

gizzyeq Empty Pockets

Awesome review I totally agree such an awesome and Comfortable knife! :thumbsup: Todd also made a few in Titanium :dance:

here's my Ti Tree Frog

[​IMG]

9. LZ

LZ Loaded Pockets

I haven't been able to find these in stock anywhere....Very cool looking little shiv!

10. slw

slw Empty Pockets

It looks like a great little knife. Thanks for the review!

11. faca

faca Loaded Pockets

link for this beauties?

12. jujigatame

You can check here.

gizzyeq - I never knew there were any in Ti. Nice score.

13. gizzyeq

gizzyeq Empty Pockets

Thanks It was part of the first run of Tree Frogs when Todd announced the new design right before Blade show
    I still need to get one in steel tho its such a great and super comfortable knife

14. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

Oh my,

That really is a pretty knife.

15. Rigaman

Rigaman Empty Pockets

What is a good price for these. I am currently trying to scoop up everything Atwood, but I think I want one of these. I have not been having much luck with purchasing Atwoods at the moment, and I need a fix of a little knife.

16. LZ

LZ Loaded Pockets

Don't quote me..but seems to me they are about $150 bones....

17. jymkym1

jymkym1 Loaded Pockets

$150.00 is correct....

18. Al-Dog

Al-Dog Loaded Pockets

I just ordered a Tree Frog from Arizona Custom Knives. Since they had that lay-away plan, I decided to go that route, so I should get it in about 2 months. :woohoo:

This will be my second custom; the first was a Phil Hartsfield Kozuka that I bought about 20 years ago. And as soon as it’s finished, my third will be a Hideaway satin hybrid.

19. Sharpdogs

Sharpdogs Uber Prepared

The latest copy of Blade magazine has a very good article on Todd Begg's knives.

20. John Frederick

John Frederick Loaded Pockets

I recently started wanting a nice necker and the Todd Begg Tree Frog has made it to the top of my list. While researching it I ran across this thread and I must say, " jujigatame, you wrote up a great review. Very nicely done sir." Now I have to figure out where to find one :-X