1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

To Stipple or not to stipple?

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by Puinsai, Feb 28, 2015.

1. Sriracha

Sriracha Loaded Pockets

IMHO... Stippling is more of an act of personalizing a piece of equipment dear to the owner. People have been scrimshawing handles, carving, etc for millennia.

In a competition where the weapon does not have to be concealed, I can see stippling providing a rock solid grip. However, for CC, 99% of the time you carry the gun, you want it to be invisible. That's its job. If it is abrading your side, snagging your clothes and is uncomfortable to carry, you ruined your weapon. It looks like it would be pulling a pizzed off cat out of your pocket! Remember the ASP? Function over form.

That being said, I have yet to see any NYPD with stippled frames.

T.H.Cone likes this.
  2. Matthew03

Matthew03 Loaded Pockets

That is one of the best stipple jobs I have ever seen, subdued and perfect.

Dorian likes this.
  3. Red33

Red33 Loaded Pockets

As for how many axes I have seen with stippling, the answer would be none. But for my experience, I use gloves that have a rubberized surface the few times I've needed a axe. I usually use a chain saw. I'm not big on chopping with a axe the older I get. Lol

I will say there is a pretty big market out there for services and grips which enhance the grip on polymer and metal framed handguns. Is it from necessity, or just a fad? I'm not sure. I did mine because I have had experience with a firearm becoming slick with sweat and shifting in the hand. It suited my needs, so I did it myself. My stippling mimics what was factory applied. I don't do the dot or golf ball pattern. Mine is more like a sandpaper texture. Much more time consuming to do, but gives a better look in my opinion. Although the minute I touched it, I voided the factory warranty and probably decreased my resale value. But that's ok. I don't plan on selling the firearms, and short of the polymer frame cracking, there shouldn't be a warranty issue .

c99camper likes this.
  4. JBRIII

JBRIII Empty Pockets

I contour and stipple all of mine. Definitely a better grip for Glock's

[​IMG]

nick nitro, Puinsai and c99camper like this.
  5. Gray29

Gray29 Loaded Pockets

If you carry a gun for defense of life and you think stippling your grip will give you even the slightest advantage in a lethal force encounter then do it. Who is anyone else to tell you what will or will not help you? Your safety is your concern not theirs.

All handguns come with some sort of texture from the factory. Unfortunately not one of those manufacturers consulted me, therefore their idea of enough texture may not jive with mine. When it comes to defense of my life, good enough isn't good enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T.H.Cone, Red33, Puinsai and 2 others like this.
  6. M4Lki3r
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

M4Lki3r Loaded Pockets

For agencies, it definitely depends on their governing policies as to what is and isn't allowed for their firearms. And we are aware how well 'governing bodies' are at making reasonable and intelligent choices when it comes to the arming, equipping, and training of their police forces *coughPoliticalCorectnesscough*. That being said, I think that most offices err on the side of 'reversible changes' when it comes to duty equipment just in case someone down the line says, "You can't have/do that. Take it off."

Actually some axes have added grip enhancers to the end of the axe shaft for exactly this purpose (especially synthetic handles which can be overly smooth compared to a roughened wood handle).

T.H.Cone likes this.
  7. Oscar4883

Oscar4883 Loaded Pockets

My own opinion is no stippling on parts that con not be replaced easy. My own preference is in using Talon Grips or something similar.

8. patientcero

patientcero Loaded Pockets

I have also yet too see where NYPD has put more bullets in a suspect(s) body than surrounding civilians in the last couple years.

Minibear453 likes this.
  9. nick nitro

nick nitro Loaded Pockets

When I transitioned from a wheel gun to auto we were given G17's. I went through all the phases of condoms on the grips, skateboard tape, stair tread tape, dipped nonskid...all it ever did was wear out shirts and my skin. I don't recall ever noticing my grip in a fight. Stippling seems to be the best of all of those if that's your preference. Mostly because the aggressiveness can be varied. I'm a plain grip guy on a Glock, just like the factory made it. Henry Ford said "you can have any color on my cars as long as it's black".

We did have one guy that stippled a government pistol. It was not a pretty sight. Oh, the gun was neat, just the owner suffered plus having to purchase it at an inflated price.

al66pine and T.H.Cone like this.
  10. addictedhealer

addictedhealer Loaded Pockets

Thanks!

My first try. Little scary considering the gun was almost brand new. My guns are tools non of them are collector items so I don't really care if they lose value.

Only problem with stipple is they tend to collect ever piece of dirt and lint.

Go slow and be patient!

[​IMG]

kye4some and Puinsai like this.
  11. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

I use skateboard tape on my G19-Gen1.

I know of at least one special unit of a Middle-Eastern agency that uses stippling on their accurized G34-Gen4. They have replaced their Browning P-35s with this modified Glock model specifically to address the issue with perspiration and blood-drenched hands during combat. It appears that the 70-year history of service of the old warhorse was hired with complaints about how "slick" the grip tended to be.

Puinsai likes this.
  12. Puinsai
    • In Omnia Paratus

Puinsai Loaded Pockets

@odbm yeah, I used grip tape for a while but got tired of having to change it out and the left over adhesive. Grip tape is my alternative to stippling if needed.