1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

To derail or not derail, that is the question? My case for organic threads.

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by T.H.Cone, Jul 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SMAJ
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

SMAJ Loaded Pockets

@ManVsLawn, I do have an employee who actually does interject completely unrelated material in the course of a conversation....it is really annoying and leave everyone wondering what just happened!!

2. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

I will bring you up to speed.

Ninjas for all practical purposes came to an end during the Tokugawa shogunate or Edo Period.

Zombies the way I understand it started in Haitian folklore or religion that may have involved some strong drugs. It became something really weird that makes no sense in the world and is by the current definition a contradiction.

Squirrels really do exist but it seems townies don't have a very good understanding of them.

Last edited by JonSidneyB, Jul 11, 2014
  3. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

LOL, that's pretty harsh. "Shenanigans" has a negative connotation to it, no? I prefer to think of myself as the color commentary guy. You know, I'm just here to add some flavor.

And keep the staff on their toes.

4. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

That's what they want you to think. :ninja:

5. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

Well, the Samurai became all artsy fartsy doing paintings and poetry, swords became too large to be practical. Martial skills collapsed, there wasn't anyone to kill anymore so no one was hiring Ninjas. The Ninjas were not working for free and the Samurai didn't have anything to do. Once the island was unified there was not much call for trained killers. The Ninjas were not able to collect unemployment, they became farmers.

Last edited by JonSidneyB, Jul 11, 2014
  6. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

Ah, veterans - my people! :D

7. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

And now, sadly, they've gotten to the point where life is so bland and unfulfilling that they regularly just walk off into the woods and kill themselves.

This is a very powerful, very disturbing video and it cuts right into the heart of our collective humanity, so please don't watch it unless you really want to be in a funk for days or maybe weeks. Maybe forever.

In case the staff doesn't want it up, you can find it yourselves by searching "Suicide Forest in Japan".

Seriously, don't watch this, it will stay with you for a long, long time. It will break your heart.

It almost makes you long for the day of Samurai.

8. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

Ya had to ruin a good joke with historical facts. :D

9. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

I read that news story - and it really is seriously depressing.

But I wonder how much the cultural idea of ritual suicide has to do with it, versus the American theme of self-destructive hedonism and excess.

10. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

Maybe it's the over crowding. When you fit 126 million in a place the size of Montana there's not much elbow room.

I once spent nine days in NYC, I got good job offers there but just being there three days and I was ready to jump off of a building. Heck I am freaking out being in a 1000sq mile country with 40k in it. 4 per sq mile or less is about all I find comfortable.

11. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

That's what I do.

12. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

Amen. I was also offered a job in NYC (twice my salary at that time including the cost of living difference), but I turned it down after a week on the ground there when I went up for the interview process.

13. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

So, on topic... I actually keep tabs on the number of threads I devolve to a third grade level. I am at 46 and counting...

Conesy is a doo-doo head!! 47!!!

14. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

I though the topic was derailment.

15. J_C
    • In Omnia Paratus

J_C Loaded Pockets

I spent a few minutes this morning memorizing the ASCII hexadecimal codes for the upper and lower case letters. It was because of PayPal and the fact that my urologist decided to sell his practice to some large conglomerate.

Somewhat related - a tree limb fell in my back yard on June 20th. There wasn't a storm, the limb was just ready to fall. The power company had a crew out that day with power restored in about 3 hours. I am still waiting on AT&T to repair the phone line. They send me a text message every night telling me they didn't fix the phone line, but I am on their priority list for the next day.

I have received one of these text messages every day since June 30th.

I am willing to discuss any of these topics in great depth. If this thread stays on topic, rather than that happening, I expect us to be discussing the political issues in Thailand.

Or bees.

Last edited by J_C, Jul 11, 2014
  16. KeyeEl

KeyeEl EDC Junkie!!!!!

Someone say bees?

[​IMG]

17. jerit

jerit Loaded Pockets

A good post, regardless of the topic, should motivate the reader to take action. As an example, in the part of the world where I live, when you flush the toilet, the water empties in a counter clock wise direction.

18. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

And the Brits forgot that the coriolis effect was going to cause drift of long range fire in the opposite direction. Doveton Sturdee's people should have remembered water drained different than in the Northern Hemisphere. Unfortunately for Admiral Spee they got it figured out after starting out shooting very wide.

19. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

Wait a second, you must be in the Northern Hemisphere. I thought you were going to say it is different than for most of us.

20. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Ice, Ice, Tigre

:eek: Whoa! Serriously? that has an effect on gun/artilery fire? Yikes... I bet that one was Fun to figure out the first time! ;)

(Amazing what I can learn here! I've done a LOT of reading and research into balistics, trajectory and similar topics, but didn't know that one..)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.