1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

To derail or not derail, that is the question? My case for organic threads.

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by T.H.Cone, Jul 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

2. Jerry L

Jerry L EDC Junkie!!!!!

Kraft Macaroni & Cheese - Go Ninja, Go:

3. Unagi42
    • In Omnia Paratus

Unagi42 EDC Junkie!!!!!

4. Cheeser
    • In Omnia Paratus

Cheeser Hey Bub!

Hardly organic with artificial additives though ;)

Factual not entertaining

5. Cheeser
    • In Omnia Paratus

Cheeser Hey Bub!

Factual not entertaining

6. Ben Rubinstein

My personal thoughts on what has just been happening. Are we allowed to discuss it even? I haven't seen a thread anywhere allowing it.

A forum is a privately owned venture and as when we visit another's house, we play by their rules.

However. A forum only exists due to its members. And when the members no longer like how the forum is being run, they move. Seen it before. Big forums with big funding and big advertising, dying in a matter of weeks or months.

If the most loyal members, en masse, have been contributing in a specific way, for years, without harming anyone, then that is what the forum has become. Not due to the forum but due to the members. To suddenly and without warning put up a stop sign, eradicate much of the past and try to start again is of course the forums right. I also think it is dangerous.

What makes EDC different, special, was its sense of fun, or neighbourhood. There is plenty stuff posted on the 'show me your X' threads and question threads. All the same pictures and info that are on the personal threads. The personal threads though were pretty much the only place where you could have a personality to give context to your carry and choices. And to have the chats which make this place fun, make it enjoyable. Make it something other than the usual brand wars and sniping which characterise most forums on the web which are about 'the gear'.

That said I fully realise that how the forum was until yesterday is too intimate and friendly to bring in lots of new names and the resulting lots of new advertising/revenue. I'm not sure if that is the aim, would be a shame if it was though understandable from an economic/business point of view.

Tony Sal, Dubbs, Dr. Bahn and 21 others like this.
  7. Antithetik
    • In Omnia Paratus

Antithetik EDC Junkie!!!!!

Huh? :eek:

Sorry, not much time until the weekend, but just read the new rules. *shrugs*

8. Cheeser
    • In Omnia Paratus

Cheeser Hey Bub!

There are a couple of sections that don't interest me in here so I ignore them, or mark as read whole sections. Their existence doesn't affect my enjoyment of the rest of the forum though

Factual not entertaining

9. BobsBargains

BobsBargains Banned

I can see this place is going to lose a lot of members over this. Or may have even lost.

I for one have 1 foot out the door.

I do feel for Jon though, this place is part of his livelihood.

10. Cheeser
    • In Omnia Paratus

Cheeser Hey Bub!

That's the sad part. The people leaving over this are his biggest supporters

Factual not entertaining

11. BobsBargains

BobsBargains Banned

And as Ben pointed out it is what can kill a forum in only a matter of weeks/months.

I have been/still am a member of a number of other forums, these places to tend become a friendly neighbourhood of sorts for the people who congregate there. Some have paid memberships available and some are free. New members are welcomed with open arms and encouraged to contribute.

What do they all have in common? They are like this forum is currently. It'd be a real shame to see this place die.

12. hal_chase
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

hal_chase EDC Junkie!!!!!

There's been plenty of discussion comments....but they 'vanished' ;)

13. Ben Rubinstein

Will just drive it underground? To unmoderated PM groups, etc.

14. hal_chase
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

hal_chase EDC Junkie!!!!!

this isn't the place to have that discussion

Unagi42, CalicoSalsa, Gallows and 8 others like this.
  15. Ben Rubinstein

I was just wondering aloud, not making suggestions. I

CalicoSalsa, Gallows, scbubba and 7 others like this.
  16. Daywalker
    • In Omnia Paratus

Daywalker EDC Junkie!!!

Not...really Jon. :ninja: Good to see you sir.:hug:
    Mkay...not sure what the heck is going on here, something about going off topic, trains, squirrels, squirrels, squirrels, a cow, lions and tigers and bears oh my...

When I first found Jon's house, this place, it was kinda, "just another forum". When I came back recently after a few long years, oh how it changed! :rofl:
    I mean that in a good way. It wasn't as "uptight" as some other forums, and I was going through a thread when I noticed a few members doing a play on a word based on someone's knife or something. I just jumped right the heck in the schenanigans and made great friends (at least to my knowledge) with said members. As I checked out threads here and there, I noticed other members doing the same thing, just having a bit of fun, and then getting back on topic. It felt like, "real life" conversations. Sometimes, and it was recently, another member and I were conversing in someone else's thread, when the member I was talking story with shoots an apology to the OP' who started the thread. Shoot, I have created threads, then had others drift in it and I sometimes jump right into the drift...then it goes back on track. Sometimes not. No big deal...to me at least.

We tend to be relatively well behaved and we keep S:censored:T REAL here IMHO. I type the way I talk more or less, and if I drift, I drift. Just uh, like in REAL life. It's REAL here and I like it that way. It ain't all "robotic" and uptight like other forums...

1: "I like this knife steel, and it's the bestest wondersteel due to the 7% molybdenum in it!"
    2: "It only has 4%, maybe 5%."
    1: "Really? I thought all LUncH80x steel has 7%?"
    2: "No, it only has 4%, at the most 5%. Maybe."
    1: "I don't think you know what you're talking about. Last I checked, it was 7%!"
    2: "No it doesn't! If you're talking about the percentage started with prior to precipitation, you're still incorrect!"
    3: "I think you are both incorrect and LUncH80x steel actually has only 3%Mo in it. That percentage is not affected by precipitation, but can be slightly affected if the process of ductility has less than sufficient Manganese involved."
    2: "The actual structural changes occurring during the process of precipitation would render any need for sufficient Manganese content useless based on the fact that...blah blah blah blah."
    4: "LUncH80x is not really a tool steel therefore the ratio of Mo and yada yada yada yoda."

Seriously?

I like this place AS IS. IF I don't like a certain thread, or where a thread is going, I'll either TRY to walk away from it, or not even bother with it. IF it should ever become like the above fun filled example I shared...man alive, everyone (and you know who you are) please PM me your email addy's. I won't be here.

Be safe ALL.

CalicoSalsa, snowkiwi, LuxN and 16 others like this.
  17. MarriedTheMedic

MarriedTheMedic EDC Junkie

Daywalker -- I totally agree with you. However, last night's activities -- mostly in the "Show your EDC" threads -- seem to indicate that this forum is, indeed, heading in the robotic direction. :(

18. Daywalker
    • In Omnia Paratus

Daywalker EDC Junkie!!!

Aloha MarriedTheMedic
    Long time no see, hope you have been well? I wasn't around last night, so i dunno what's actually going on, just going off what I have been able to read here...
    IF it is headed towards that, "robotic" direction...well, that's gonna suck as much as Episode VII.
    Be safe!

19. No Agenda
    • In Omnia Paratus

No Agenda Loaded Pockets

Unagi42 it has been bitterly cold here the last few days and I am looking for some warm clothing, could you please tell me who makes that very warm looking sweater you have?
    Thanks!
    [​IMG]OrangeSweater by Adam R, on Flickr

20. MarriedTheMedic

MarriedTheMedic EDC Junkie

Thank you, sir! Doing well, as I hope you are!
    Basically, the new (or is it old?) rule is no chit-chat in the EDC threads. Posts were removed unrelated to EDC and hands were slapped.

Waiting on this post to disappear in 3...2...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.