1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

To derail or not derail, that is the question? My case for organic threads.

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by T.H.Cone, Jul 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

First, I'd like to say that GatorMedic and I see this topic differently and we both expressed ourselves in this thread, which was dealt with by the staff in a manner they deemed best. All well and good, but it has spurred the creation of this one because I find the topic worthy of discussion and, of course, I'd like to persuade Gator and others to my point of view.

Second, Gator, to you personally, I'd like to apologize if I in any way made you feel like your opinion wasn't a valid one. We simply see the topic differently. Both sides have validity.

I am not one of them, but a fair number of people feel like forums should be a cross between encyclopedias and libraries where you can simply look up a topic, find an answer, and, perhaps, ask followup questions.

Which sounds good until human nature comes into play. If this is the way social creatures interacted with forums, we wouldn't, for example, have hundreds and hundreds of threads asking things like, "What is the best knife?" or "What bag will fit a 15" lap top?"

If we go to the New Threads section, we see nothing but threads that have, by and large, been asked a thousand times before. So, to be consistent, if you are the type of person who wants pure threads that don't wander away after the initial question has been adequately answered, then for virtually every thread, your only answer should be, "Use the search bar, you lazy :censored:"

Aside from intro threads or something brand new to the gear world, every new thread is just something that has already been discussed.

But none of us do that, do we? Why? Because at the end of the day, and despite the fact that the vast majority of us will never meet in RL, we are nothing more than a group of friends drawn together by a love of gear.

As such, most threads are initially naturally about gear, but because this is a community of friends with other interests besides gear, the conversations should, and often do, drift away from the OP.

This is natural and organic because that is what we do in RL and this forum is just a device that mimics RL because we are real humans who crave real social interaction.

Any member who has been here for any length of time does not stay here because of the gear discussions. Truthfully, most of us don't really need anyone's opinion on gear. We are here simply for the camaraderie and the conversation.

Should we all expect that thread topics get answered in a serious manner? Absolutely. But should we all expect that thread topics will not evolve and grow organically at some point? Absolutley not.

In RL, if GatorMedic and I were hanging out talking about "awkward moments while CCWing", at some point the conversation would morph into a related topic or, maybe, something else altogether.

It's only natural. It's the way we are wired to interact and to attempt to force only narrow conversations on a group of people who wouldn't otherwise restrict themselves in that way is folly.

Now, if you will excuse me, I'm sure there is a thread around here that needs to be derailed.:D

Later edit- Just to be clear, I didn't start this thread because of the other thread being temporarily locked, spun off, edited, or an other action taken by the staff. The catalyst was simply this post by GatorMedic-
    -which I don't necessarily think was directed at me personally given everything else that was being posted and my reply-
    Sorry for any confusion. I'm really only talking about the two main ways people want threads to be and the reasons why I don't think the strict way will ever work well.

Last edited by T.H.Cone, Jul 9, 2014
  2. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

Ooooh, squirrel!

johnny five, On Edge, Dorian and 15 others like this.
  3. Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

Thank you, T.H., for starting this thread. I just wanted people to know that I NEVER wander off-topic ... oh, look at the birds ... sorry, I'm back. And, you are correct: for me, I'm on here to gain information, sometimes to give information, and also to have a bit of fun and some stimulating conversation.

And, just like real life sometimes what starts as one conversation's subject morphs into 'a whole 'nother thing' on occasion.

Let the Games begin!

4. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

Sales. I frigging hate sales. How can I only buy what I think I need when they have sales?

johnny five, On Edge, Cheeser and 6 others like this.
  5. cowsmilk

cowsmilk EDC Junkie!!!!!

Threads that naturally evolve are really not an issue. Topics ebb and flow as you have illustrated much better than me. The thread you referenced that was split off was not entirely a healthy discussion, so it was given its own space. Hopefully, soon, it will be allowed to continue on its own as well.

This thread may turn out to be an interesting diversion...........huh, what were we talking about?

johnny five, On Edge, Cheeser and 8 others like this.
  6. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

Milking threads, I think.

johnny five, On Edge, Lou_G and 8 others like this.
  7. kertap75

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

It could be worse. I'm on another forum (not gear related) that has a very strict policy against necro threads. Make a post in a thread that hasn't had a response in a week and it will most likely be locked! I think I missed something in the thread you referenced, some posts seem to be missing lol (have you passed me in deleted posts yet TH?) But I think it can be summarized like this:
    Drift= good
    Derail=meh
    Hijack= bad

8. kertap75

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Don't get them started on cow references!

9. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

I figured it was a moooooot point?

johnny five, On Edge, Dorian and 12 others like this.
  10. cowsmilk

cowsmilk EDC Junkie!!!!!

That's actually a good summary, nice work @kertap75.

johnny five, On Edge, Dorian and 6 others like this.
  11. T.H.Cone

I hope you and the staff know that I in no way question your right or obligation to manage that thread or anything else in any manner y'all see fit.

We all know that there have been a few occasions when I've gone too far and have had to been brought to heel.

That said, I think trying to force an artificial construct that flies in the face of how we are wired to behave and interact is something that will always be fraught with unnatural tension.

12. cowsmilk

cowsmilk EDC Junkie!!!!!

Coney, I'm picking up what you're laying down.

johnny five, On Edge, Cheeser and 3 others like this.
  13. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

And he would never steer you wrong.

johnny five, On Edge, Dorian and 8 others like this.
  14. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

THREAD LOCKED

:p Jk

COW-abunga!!
    [​IMG]

johnny five, On Edge, Dorian and 15 others like this.
  15. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

If squirrels can be vampires, believing them capable of being ninjas isn't a significant huge leap.

16. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

Well, they sneak up on birds and assassinate them then do battle with snakes. We can grant them Ninja status.

Last edited by JonSidneyB, Jul 9, 2014
  17. KeyeEl

KeyeEl EDC Junkie!!!!!

Am I in the correct thread?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

19. T.H.Cone

For clarities sake, I added some stuff at the bottom of the OP. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

20. Jerry L

Jerry L EDC Junkie!!!!!

I read the other day about these squirells that jump on deers backs and kill em

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.