1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

To carry or not to carry sprint run knives, that is the question.

Discussion in 'Knives' started by ncoutdoorsman, Mar 4, 2011.

?

Would you carry a sprint run as your EDC?

1. You bet, its in my pocket right now...

24 vote(s)
    85.7%
  2. Not a chance, its safe and sound in the collection

4 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. ncoutdoorsman

ncoutdoorsman Empty Pockets

Hey Guys,

Im curious to see how many of ya'll carry a limited production, collectible knife as their EDC knife...

For example, the new limited Manix 2 Moonglow. At only 500 created its value is sure to climb, however are you the type to make it a "user" and appreciate having it with you every day?

Or do you feel better knowing its in a flawless condition tucked safely away in your safe?

Tis quite the conundrum. On one hand, its so freakin cool that you want to have it with you and use it daily. On the other hand, its so rare that any use decreases its collectible value and is often considered a crime against a masterpiece.

What do you do?

2. powernoodle

powernoodle Loaded Pockets

I carry most of them. The way I see it, when I croak and Mrs. Powernoodle remarries, do I want her new husband to receive my nice collection of pristine knives, or a bunch of users that are covered with drywall dust, biscuits and gravy, blood, cat poop, and Lord knows what else? I say the latter, thank you.

3. Simsmac0o

Simsmac0o Loaded Pockets

Personally, I'm going to carry mine. I don't tend to have hard-use tasks for knives in my everyday goings-on, so I don't have to worry about it getting trashed. Regardless, I think it's too cool of a knife to leave locked away; Honestly, I don't find much pleasure in the thought of not using a nice knife in general. No safe-queens for me.

I disagree with that assumption. While I admit that major cosmetic blemishes to the knife will decrease it's value, I don't think normal wear from carry and light use is going to affect the value of this knife, at least not until demand for it considerably decreases (i.e. years down the road). I predict that this knife will become as wildly sought after as the USN Spyderco Endura is. It's much more exciting anyway. :p

4. afultz075

afultz075 Loaded Pockets

I have about 40 knives in my collection, and I'd say 10 safe queens out of the bunch. Honestly, I find I never grow attached at all to my safe queens, since basically the only thing I do with them is take them out of the safe and look at them every once in awhile. However, 2 of my safe queens are backups of discontinued knives that I EDC occasionally, tucked away in the safe should something ever happen to the users.

The knives I am most attached to are the ones with the scratched up pocket clips and tons of tape residue on the blade that I carry frequently.

5. koolranch

koolranch Loaded Pockets

Lol lol I like it. This would be tough but I would keep them new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. bquinlan

bquinlan Loaded Pockets

I feel like I can't *afford* to buy knives I never intend to carry. Some of mine rarely leave the house, but all of the ones that cost me more than pocket change were bought for some purpose or another and are occasionally used for that purpose. My EDC includes rare and custom knives.

--Bob Q

7. deeker

deeker Loaded Pockets

If you intend on selling it for a profit some time in the future, keep it in pristine condition. If you plan on keeping it in the family, use it as you choose.

As for the EDCF Manix.... It will be in my pocket the day it arrives. I'm not going to treat it any differently. Heck, this is the EDC Forum, the knife should be EDC'd!

8. Dafabricata

Dafabricata Loaded Pockets

The only knife I don't carry and which stays locked in the safe is my Carrillo #7.
    It's HUGE and the blade is over the legal carry length here in michigan....otherwise it would get carried on occasion.

On another front (flashlights), I do EDC my Tri-V and use it often, but it is well cared for and not abused...like most of my gear.
    I also EDC a McGizmo LS20 that has hit the concrete (a lot) and is scratched all over, accidents happen and the scratches add charactor IMO.
    I don't plan to sell either, but if I did, they would easily sell for what I paid.
    Use em and enjoy em!! Thats my opinion.

Great post BTW, powernoodle!! LOL!!

9. Chocula

Chocula Loaded Pockets

Be honest with yourself: If you think it is a cool knife and bought it for that reason, you should absolutely use it. If you bought it because you think other people will find it cool, you made a mistake.

Think about it: Do you really know what other people will find cool? All you know is what you like, and thats all you should base your buying decisions on. It will save you from these types of dilemmas (polls and random forumite opinions never help) and you will never feel the dreaded buyers remorse.

FWIW I carry my "sprint run" kershaw speedform and benchmade 805 TSEK on occasion. I have no idea if they will be valuable in the future but I really like them so I will use them.

ETA: Another perspective is to think about collectors value--you are buying a knife now so that you can give it to a collector for a premium later. It is not unlike a loan you offer to some potential future collector. The catch is that there is no guarantee that you will get a premium or break even (ie no guarantee the loan will be repaid). Would you offer a loan to someone when you don't know who it is and if they will pay it back?

10. jcw122

jcw122 Loaded Pockets

I'm never buying something I don't plan on using....that's just absurd (in my personal opinion!).

11. ncoutdoorsman

ncoutdoorsman Empty Pockets

Don't get me wrong Chocula, I'm a EDC guy myself of rare blades and common ones alike. I just know there are many collectors out there that would find it painful to use such a rare blade WHEN there are so many fantastic "common" alternatives.

I thought it would be an interesting topic and so far it has been.

I feel life is short, use what makes you happy, but if your in it to make a profit as a collector, keep it pristine. The question comes down to the man which is both, a collector and a carrier.

12. defuse kit

defuse kit Loaded Pockets

There are no "alternatives" when it comes to this knife. I get such a kick out of my Moonglow Manix, there's nothing else like it. And it's such a laugh whipping out a glow-in-the-dark knife and seeing everyone else's faces.

13. tower
    • In Omnia Paratus

tower Loaded Pockets

I'm with P-noodle on this one. I get a great deal of joy out of actually using these incredible tools. and if you do your own sharpening, WTP?

14. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

I can't really afford to spend the money on something like a limited edition knife only to keep it hidden away - if I want an investment, I could look into savings or stocks or whatever, if I want something pretty I could put the money towards some artwork, or even just spend it on something more immediately useful like a nice mean out rather than a tool kept hidden away so it doesn't get damaged.

The reason I didn't get the EDCF Manix was the fact it is a non-legal carry in the UK, so the little use I would get from it would hardly make it worthwhile spending the money... No real use to me, so I am not going to waste money buying it, however cool or however much of a potential collectors item it may be.