1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

To carry main light AND key-chain size?

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by Drobax, Oct 13, 2009.

1. Drobax

Drobax Loaded Pockets

Let me ask you all something:

I have been loving my 2 new items that I purchased recently, a Fenix LD10 (AA max 120 lumens) and the much smaller LD01 (AAA max 80 lumens), but maybe just because of the newness, I've been carrying both. I love the far throw of the LD10 and the higher power but am not sure if I'd need something even of this size for EDC. Now, my deal is, is that it has to be in my pockets to EDC. Not on the belt and I don't carry a go-to-bag. So it just got me thinking: Why carry LD10 at all? Realistically, I don't really need to see that far off in the distance and I do live in an urban environment. And the LD01 actually is twice the power of my old River Rock AA 42 lumen light and twice as small. The 80 lumens is bright enough to flash in someones eyes to blind them (of course I'd have to twist the head 3 times to get to it....That does kind of suck!)

SO, (and excuse my rambling sentences above....lol) how many of you would carry both and why? I have even considered carrying both since if I'd only carry one or the other, then I may still pocket a back-up battery for the one model that I do carry. And the LD01 is about the same size as a back-up battery. (I know it sounds like I'm talking back and forth here). I do like how the LD10 is instant click to high power and then twist down to other levels vs. the LD01.

I don't know if I'm even making sense but I don't like to carry over-lapping items. All I tend to carry is my Victorinox OHT, a Vic Rambler on key-chain, a bandanna, a neck lanyard made of 550 (to clip a light to around neck or other uses) and maybe a Bic-Mini with black duct-tape wrapped around it. No multi-tool.... No Tactical knives (Vic OHT is close enough for me)... Etc.....Etc... This all just works for me. Of course add cell on belt, keys, watch, wedding-ring and wallet. I consider those as a given...

So, other than the fun, coolness factor of both of these lights, why would I carry both? I don't know and am trying to figure out how to leave one home.... LOL!!!!

What do you guys do or would do? Or do any of you run into issues like this where you carry multiple knives, multi's etc. just because you like them and can't leave them at home?

Thanks and I hope any of this make's sense. I do like how bright and pocketable the LD10 for a main light, but I don't know if it's THAT important to pocket every day over the much smaller LD01.

2. phill

phill Loaded Pockets

I EDCed an LD01 SS on my keychain and recently upgraded it to the iTP A3 EOS. 80 lumen is more than enough for general urban EDC use and the reason i upgraded is because the iTP has a lower low setting.

But i have an AA powered light that puts out around 150 lumen that ill stash on me from time to time, just in case i need more power, but i rarely need it, its just easier to hand than the AAA size light and has better runtime etc.

So yeah, long story short, if you can get by using just the LD01 then the LD01 is all you need. But its nice to have as an option the LD10 if you are going out at night and think you might need it.

3. Drobax

Drobax Loaded Pockets

Thanks, Phill...

Lol... I was started to think that my long winded post didn't make too much sense. Just like most here, I'm an avid knife (Vic's mainly), flashlight and multi-tool nut (along with other gear) and struggle to carry just what I "need" and not what I feel as my new toy(s) of the week.

Thanks again for the reply...

4. Ajax

Ajax Loaded Pockets

Good call by Phill.

I EDC a LD01 and often carry a LD10 in an admin pouch.
    I usually lose the pouch when I get home but if were going out at night I would definitely bring it along.

5. jetpack

jetpack Loaded Pockets

If I were you and had hboth lights I'll probably have the same problem :evilgrin: I would be carrying LD01 everyday on keychain or in the suit's inside pockets ('cause it's small) and bigger LD10... Every time being in town/woods/mountain/etc etc etc. I heard this light is good, I'll probably buy LD10.

Could you tell me about the spill in this light? Is it good enough to see good when lighting an average room on 47 lumens?

6. Drobax

Drobax Loaded Pockets

JetPack,

I am DEFINATELY no expert on flashlights so I'm not 100% sure about the "spill" that you mean, but I'll tell you what I think about the two models. The LD10 is an impressive light that seems to cover most bases and still fit in a pants pocket. About the 47 lumens, that is definitely a lot more than you need to light a room. Since I've gotten the light (or lights), my wife tends to go to sleep earlier than I do and even the 9 lumens is too bright for going in a dark room without trying to wake her. I have to use my shirt as a filter sometimes..... lol But like I mentioned, my other first real or wanna-be real flashlight was a River Rock 1 AA that was rated at 42 lumens and I thought THAT was the sun in my pocket...HA!!! But now there isn't any comparison even to the smaller LD01. MAN, it's even bright...

But as to the spill: Again, no expert here on terminology but both are very smooth. Of course the hot spot on the LD01 is much bigger and the LD10 is a much smaller dot. If that make's sense. I'm guessing to allow farther distances throw. (Again, guys, I'm not an expert) But at first I was a little dissappointment because I felt my LD01 was brighter since it filled a larger surface area with the hot spot. UNTIL, I went outside and shined both in the yard. I don't think the neighbor behind me cared for the LD10.... Ha!!! WOW!!! Very bright but much farther distance.

So, my limited experience with the two and in high powered LED's in general:

Both great spills... LD10 of course MUCH better for distance and the LD01 is much better for every day closer range use (inside buildings, maybe lighting a path while walking but just not trying to spot dear way off in the distance).

Hope something out of this answers your question...

Thanks for your reply.

7. Marduke

Marduke Loaded Pockets

Simple:

Two is one, one is none... ;)

8. Doug S

Doug S Empty Pockets

I carry two. A Fenix P1D (180 max lumens) in pocket, and a Fenix EO1 on my keychain. The keychain gets the most use on an everyday basis, but if I'm out at night I use the P1D. I think they compliment each other very well, and I like having a backup to the primary. They are actually about the same length, with the P1D being fatter.

9. Ajax

Ajax Loaded Pockets

Here's a good beamshot comparison site: http://fonarevka.lux-rc.com/

The LD10 will light up a 10x10 room like it's daytime, even on the medium setting.
    All of my Fenix lights I have (LD01, LD10, TK10, TK20) have lots of spill.
    Even without a diffuser they cast a wide beam.

10. jetpack

jetpack Loaded Pockets

Let me thank for YOUR reply and information. I wanted to hear something about this flashlight from average user :) Thanks

Thanks :) This site's cool. I hardly ever see beamshot photos in natural situations like road. The most often type of photos are beamshots at wall.
    Nice to hear about spill (flood). In my opinion, good EDC flashlight should not only provide a good throw, but light up some space. It's nice to see what's going on on the sides of you ;)

Thanks guys

11. Rochefort

Rochefort Loaded Pockets

I have Lummi Wee with 50lm led on my keychain. Most of the time I also carry a bigger light with more power, so the Wee is more like a backup.
    When I read your post, I automatically started thinkin my EZAA. It's almost as small as LD01 and brighter than LD10 and it also has a low mode for long runtimes.

con: you would loose the clickie
    pro: you would loose the AAA :laugh:

12. Mercury

Mercury Empty Pockets

I was driving last night. Hopped on an on-ramp and I see what at first looks like a squirrel running across the ramp. Getting closer I realize that it's actually a ferret. I pulled over, my girlfriend and I jump out. My Quark AA2 Tac (which I pocket carry) comes out and I spotlight the critter. We throw a hoodie over him and brought him to the car.

My girlfriend now owns a ferret :).

Long story short, I would carry the most powerful flashlight you can. I would throw a little Fenix in my bag for backup but much prefer quick access to something with power. A lower-power flashlight may be fine for 95% of urban encounters, but that 5% is what I carry for.

13. Drobax

Drobax Loaded Pockets

WOW!!! A ferret? I guess it's domesticated?

I have been leaning towards just the LD10 a lot more. I mean, I like/ love the idea of the LD01 but I get tired of constantly twisting through med, then low just to get to high. AND, the fact that especially in the evening hours, I like to be able to "click" and go right to 120 lumens but mostly will twist it down to lower modes for battery conservation. But just being able to do that makes me like it even more. Just this evening we heard something in the lower level and right away I grabbed my LD10 and my Vic OHT. That's the thing with me, I know I could go smaller with knives like my Vic Farmer etc. and I love them to death, but since I pocket carry my OHT with a clip, the size/ weight doesn't bother me at all. SO, I guess I'm starting to do the same thing with my flashlight selection. I could carry the LD01 and be fine with it 95% of the time. But why not go with "more" if the size doesn't bother me. So, left front pocket, LD10 on a short lanyard clipped to pocket and right front pocket, my Vic OHT w/ clip.

BUT, just to note, my LD01 is also in my right front pocket attached to a paracord neck lanyard.......lol...... I just can't put it down, I guess.... Why not, right?

Thanks again guys..... LOVE this forum.....

14. grimm_kaosboy

grimm_kaosboy Empty Pockets

I say if both lights float yer boat, carry them both ;D
    Sometime redundancy is good, like when your batteries are low and you don't know it. BAM, second light to the rescue. Myself I currently carry a fenix EO1 on my keys and a nitecore extreme infinty (golden dragon). I use the nitecore for most of my needs, but at 180-190 lumens sometimes its too much. Like when I want to navigate the bedroom without waking the wife, or walking thru my boiler room at work to get to the light bank. In these instances a dimmer light (10 lumens?) is more than enough and saves the battery on the nitecore.

15. Gatsby

Gatsby Loaded Pockets

I am not only an EDC addict but an avowed flashaholic. I almost always have at least two lights with me - one in my left front pocket and one on my keyring. The keyring light has been historically one of three lights - first a photon microlight, then an Arc AAA, then back to the photon, and for the past 1.5 years a Liteflux LF2. It serves mostly as a backup for my primary light so I waffle about justifying the additional weight considering the functionality. But the LF2 brings a lot to the table.

My front pocket EDC sort of rotates depending on my mood, most recent purchase, what I' wearing, etc.. But almost all of them have more output than the LF2, longer runtimes and are bigger. Today it happens to be a Surefire E1L (KX1 dual mode), but it can be a Novatac 120P (my hall of fame edc light), a Liteflux LF3XT and sometimes a Nitecore EZ123.

Heck in cooler weather I may also have a bigger/brighter light in a coat pocket, a Surefire 6P or Dereelight CL1H although that was mostly due to conditions at my last job that don't really apply anymore (several block walk to parking through downtown at night). I now work on a campus that is well lit and has security...

So, the point is... carry them both! Put the AAA on your keyring and keep the other one in your pocket!

16. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

I carry a McGizmo Haiku clipped to my pocket & a McGizmo Sapphire on my key chain. And when I am working, I wear a Ti Wee around my neck.

17. xthereal

xthereal Loaded Pockets

+1 on that.
    NO wait, +2. Just in case the first + fails :lolhammer:

18. Rawls

Rawls Loaded Pockets

Carry one.

If the keychain light works for most of your uses, what is the purpose of the other light?

I am thinking about scaling down my primary EDC to a AAA light as well. It weighs about half as much as my current 1 cell 123A light.

19. Doug S

Doug S Empty Pockets

Because there are times when good enough for "most" uses, just might not be good enough for the situation at hand. Yes, I'm fine with a AAA light for most of the things I need a light for. That said, through the years, I have had two home security "situations" with the possibility of an intruder in my house after dark. The first time, I had returned home from a late day at work to find my basement door open. I found myself having to search between the double foundation of my house and I didn't have a powerful light. These situations can happen fast, and most likely you will not be able to retrieve the larger, more powerful light you keep elsewhere. When there is the possibility of an intruder hiding in or around your home, a dim AAA flashlight just won't do. After the first situation, I decided to get myself a light powerful enough to see what I am looking for, before it sees me, and also small enough to be carried daily in my pocket. I won't bore you with the strange details of the second event, but what I'm trying to say is that, although a small AAA light is fine for most everyday tasks, there are those times when you very well may find yourself caught by surprise, and in need of a more powerful light. Having a more powerful light on your belt or in a pocket becomes a real necessity during those times. I bought a few Surefires, and most recently a Fenix P1D for those situations. In contrast, for around the house under normal conditions, and in the office, I prefer my Fenix EO1 keychain light. I have to admit I like the idea of carrying just the EO1, but there are those times when it just isn't enough light.

20. phill

phill Loaded Pockets

Snipped down quote of above.
    The E01 is a great light, i own one, but its not a do everything EDC light.

On the other hand the Fenix LD01 and Maratac/iTP AAA lights put out around 80 lumen on max. Ive searched around dark treelined public paths when walking the dog just using my LD01 when i forgot my brighter AA light and its more than enough.

Of course in principle i cant argue that when you want more light having more light is better but 80 lumen for 55 minutes on high (as rated for the iTP A3 EOS) is a lot of torch that could only be dreamed of a decade ago.