1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Tip up, Tip down, or who cares

Discussion in 'Knives' started by ReadyFreddy23, Apr 10, 2015.

1. J_C
    • In Omnia Paratus

J_C Loaded Pockets

Whatever way the knife manufacturer ships it. Spyderco Delica = tip up. Boker KeyCom = tip down.

Wydern likes this.
  2. cityofthesouth

cityofthesouth Loaded Pockets

This. I don't see the safety issue.

jon1all likes this.
  3. Reddog 245

Reddog 245 Empty Pockets

Ditto Jim85iroc. Used to carry all tip down, and naturally flipped the knife over on the draw. Flippers occaisionally opened In my pocket, but no injuries.First benchmade showed me the light. Had to totally retrain my draw, but well worth it. Very natural draw, no chance of fumbling the knife. Blade opens in the direction the thumb normally pushes. Only thing safer, more natural than this is a fixed blade.

jon1all likes this.
  4. johnny five

johnny five Loaded Pockets

I prefer fixies but definitely tip up on folders.

5. GeneralGlenn

GeneralGlenn EDC Junkie!!!!!

Tip up, but I started with a Bucklite Max medium, which has a rivited tip up deep carry clip, so it's become second nature that way. I avoid tip down only knives, I've never gotten used to it.

6. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

How are you doing that? I really don't get it. You put your knife into your pocket when it's not closed well or is it opening in your pocket? How can that happen?
    And btw to the OP, is it possible to make this a voting thread? Tip-up, tip-down, so-so, don't care?

rangetroop likes this.
  7. ReadyFreddy23

ReadyFreddy23 Loaded Pockets

Not sure how to make it a voting thread. Maybe someone more familiar or a moderator could point me in the right direction to find out how it's done.

AK Adventurer likes this.
  8. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Ice, Ice, Tigre

I carry tip up.
    For one very simple reason; it puts the lanyard hole on the knife Up, instead of at the bottom of my pocket.

For what I do, 90% of the time on average, I am wearing gloves of some kind, usually heavy/thick leather for work or winter insulated with a lack of fine dexterity... So, I Require a short fob/pull on my knives to be able to draw them from the pocket without removing the gloves. Having the lanyard end of the knife at the bottom of my pocket is a deal killer for doing that, thus; Tip up. :cool:

Otherwise, I couldn't care less, and see no advantages either way.

If your knife is opening in your pocket, you have issues other than carry style. Changing the way you carry is skirting the issue... If it can open tip up, and all you do is flip it over, its still gonna have terrible blade/lock tension and can open tip down, maybe not as easy, but it could still do it, and still be very dangerous(stabbed in the leg, anyone? No thanks!). A knife that opens like that needs more work than just moving the clip.

Adahn likes this.
  9. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Ice, Ice, Tigre

On the bottom of your first post starting the thread, open the edit link;

[​IMG]

then click the "more options" button

[​IMG]

And that should give you a edit page for the post, and at the bottom, there should be options for adding a poll;

[​IMG]

(As I recall, its limited to 10 max choices)

:cool:

REDDEVIL, Wydern and thePlumbah like this.
  10. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

[​IMG] You now thats right! :rofl:

Tip up!!

AK Adventurer, REDDEVIL and Wydern like this.
  11. jon1all

jon1all Loaded Pockets

In the spirit of equine abuse... pass me the stick! ;) Seriously though... my first ever clipped folder (Kershaw Vapor many years ago) came Tip Down only. So, naturally, that's how I carried it. When I got my next knife that allowed for Tip Up it just seemed more logical (ie, way less hand re-positioning when drawing the knife, spine of the blade is against the seam of the pocket making it all but impossible to open in the pocket, etc). Then when I got into flippers and I got a Hinderer XM-18 and those all come Tip Down from Hinderer... the day I got it I didn't have a screwdriver to re-position the clip handy, so I carried it Tip Down that first day... really bugged me, seemed clunky. And once I even slipped my hand into my pocket and discovered that the flipper had been bumped in my pocket somehow and the blade had deployed about a 1/2" and was just waiting to cut me when I withdrew my hand from my pocket. Luckily I noticed it at the last minute and froze... then carefully pushed the blade back into the frame. Cut avoided, but just barely... this is the danger of Tip Down carry in my mind (especially with a flipper). Anyway, I swapped it to Tip Up first chance I got... and won't buy a knife that is only Tip Down anymore. Just my 2 cents. Now, passing the stick to the next guy... :p

REDDEVIL likes this.
  12. kdurt

kdurt Loaded Pockets

I will never pass on a knife because of clip orientation. Most are tip up though. Really don't care to be honest. I can enjoy either.

Sent from my XT1080

13. CSM-101
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

CSM-101 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Even on the knives I owned with the option to change the pocket clip orientation, I never did until I joined here. :rolleyes:
    Now I do prefer tip up carry, but it wouldn't be a deal breaker if it isn't available on a knife I wanted.

14. REDDEVIL

REDDEVIL EDC Junkie!!!

Tip up, only because anything I do,... I do it in the correct method, otherwise I couldn't make the statement of always being right :p

As for the dead horse,... I think this is a zombie horse,... Much cooler

Adahn likes this.
  15. UsubM

UsubM Loaded Pockets

A few years ago I started to only buy knives that carry tip up, but I still use some of my older blades (mostly the Benchmade 912 Stryker series) that are tip-down only.

tl;dr: I prefer tip up, but will carry either

Adahn likes this.
  16. Stutz

Stutz EDC Junkie

I just always felt that tip-down was awkward. With a tip-up knife it's natural to come down with my hand, put my thumb into my pocket along the knife scale, grasp the entire length of the knife, and pull it out. When it clears the pocket it's already fully in my hand, oriented forward and ready to deploy. When I carry tip-down, it comes out backward. I instead have to come at the knife from my back side, pinch the pivot area between finger and thumb, and let the body of the knife "fall" down into my palm once it clears my pocket before I can deploy the blade. To me, that process makes no sense. Part of the reason it matters to me is that in a lot of my jobs, including my current one, I use my knife a lot. It's in and out of the pocket all day and I have to be able to get it quickly and thoughtlessly.

I've always carried my knife at the back of my front pocket, so it's at about the 2:30 to 3:00 position (which is pretty much how everyone carries in a front pocket, as far as I can tell). So the blade is pushed up against the back of my pocket. In my 15+ years of carrying a knife, I've never had one open in my pocket and never once worried that it would.

Apologies if this was too detailed, but I figured if you really wanted to know why, I was really going to explain it!

17. LongarmoftheLaw

LongarmoftheLaw Loaded Pockets

ALWAYS tip up if I have any choice. If it's in the trouser pocket, always the right side. I find that being right handed, the knife deploys most rapidly and naturally from this position. I find it very awkward and aggravating to carry tip down; I also see no reason for it. I've never had any folding knife open in my pocket, even non-lockers and such.

jon1all and Adahn like this.
  18. yo mama

yo mama Loaded Pockets

I won't buy a tip down folder. They are clumsy and I'm a creature of habit. I like to know no matter what folder I have it works about the same way every time.

jon1all and Stutz like this.
  19. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

The very first knife that I consistently carried was a fixed blade: a 5-inch hissatsu. There was no way in holy hades that I was going to carry that thing tip-up!

Since I hate the insipid pocket clip on knives and I don't use them, I carry my knives IN their own individual leather sheaths IN my trouser pockets.

My answers is tip parallel to the length of the leather pouch and since the knives that I most frequently carry eventually gravitate to the bottom of my trouser pockets; the second half of my answer is tip parallel to the horizon.

20. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

Oh, one other way for me with tip-down carry, the slip-joint on my keys, I mainly use it as a key dangler.

[​IMG]