1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Tiny screwdrivers

Discussion in 'Do-It-Yourself & Gear Modifications' started by tool amour, Oct 8, 2009.

1. tool amour

tool amour Loaded Pockets

The idea for these screwdrivers came about as I was prepping a room to paint--the more I use it, the less I like the screwdrivers on my Gerber.

I had a bag of rejected-at-the-engravers metal pens that I picked up at a liquidator's a few years ago. I'd pulled one of the caps off at some point, and idly wondered if a screwdriver bit would fit inside the cap.

The result? A small, admittedly light duty screwdriver, suitable for about 65% of the screwdriving jobs I do. And kinda cool-looking too. So far I've made 5--I need to find a long shank, tiny flat bit at the Big Orange Box. The bits fit really snugly inside the pen caps, if I wanted bombproof I could shoot some epoxy into the cap, then insert the bit.

[img width=640 height=479]http://i921.photobucket.com/albums/ad52/tool_amour/100_2578.jpg[/img]

[​IMG]

My apologies in advance for the pics--I'm just now figuring out how this works--crossing my fingers and hoping it comes out as planned....

2. davidt1

davidt1 Loaded Pockets

It's good that you turned some unused stuff into something useful for you. All right!

Listen, see if you can find any 1'' double-sided bit like this with a flat head on one end and a Phillips head on the other. I need to know where I can get some.
    [​IMG]

Keep up the good work.

3. tool amour

tool amour Loaded Pockets

David--
    Have you looked on the Dewalt website?
    Do the bits need to be double-ended? I saw a bunch of different bits at an Ace hardware last week, about 1" long, but they weren't double ended. I've never seen a bit like the one in your pic.

4. max6166

max6166 Loaded Pockets

Nice work! Those are pretty neat and they look quite nice too. O0

5. davidt1

davidt1 Loaded Pockets

Looked everywhere but couldn't find one. Having 2-in-1 bits save valuable EDC space.

Here is why I like this bit so much. It is not magnetized, yet it holds the screw like white on rice.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. mpt9

mpt9 Empty Pockets

nothing takes up less space than the double ended flatteded leatherman bits. I however carry a wiha x selector bit set at work to use with my 10.8v cordless drill

7. Elmo

Elmo Loaded Pockets

watchmaker tools are really useful, small, and well built. The leading vendor is frei and borel