1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Tinker Deluxe : The "Best" S.A.K ?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Alan Daly, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Alan Daly

Alan Daly Loaded Pockets

Getting the balance correct for EDC can be tricky...choose a small,slim swiss army knife - and you might not have the tool you need.Choosing a larger one - and it becomes bulky,heavy,and far from practical for every day carry.So what is a "good" choice,(NOT compromise!),for your EDC-er?
    I would politely suggest the Victorinox Tinker Deluxe! I frequently carry the excellent SwissChamp - but only in my work bag,as it IS on the large side.But a Tinker Deluxe has a fantastic range of tools - large blade/pliers/scissors/philips screwdriver,etc. that are - for most people - the most practical/necessary - with no (unlike the SwissChamp) "rarely" used items cluttering up the body of the knife (fish scaler - anyone?).
    I carry mine in a small leather Victorinox leather belt pouch,designed for a 2 - 4 layer SAK.Although a "tight fit" at first - it is very discreet,unobtrusive on my belt,with no chance of me losing it over time.A small lanyard is attached to the keyring - for quick and easy access to the knife and removal from its pouch(which protects the knife from dirt/damage,and leaves you with a "free pocket" for other stuff!).I am so "addicted" to this little monster that I always own 2 "just-in-case" one goes missing!

2. Brandon_4078

Brandon_4078 Loaded Pockets

I love all the Victorinox SAKs with the philips screwdriver (most used tool on the SAKs). In my opinion the best would be the Vic Ranger if it had the screwdriver instead of the corkscrew, or the Hiker if they would put the multipurpose hook on the 3 layer SAKs with the saw.

Vesp likes this.
  3. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

I'm a fan of all of the tinkers.

Kripto and Vesp like this.
  4. Quixotica

Quixotica Loaded Pockets

Personally, a Climber with Plus scales is the perfect SAK for me. On the rare occasion where I need a ranch, the ones on a SAK just won't really cut the mustard. but Blades + scissors + plus openers is a great combo for me. I also prefer having the Corkscrew to carry the mini eyeglass screwdriver, and I can use the can opener as an impromptu philips head when I need one.

Best bang for the buck and size I've ever had in a SAK.

5. JPHing

JPHing Loaded Pockets

I use to have a Climber, It was a beauty
    At the moment I use a phillips and pliers the most so agree with the OP

6. Si_K
    • In Omnia Paratus

Si_K Loaded Pockets

Same thoughts as mine but replace climber with explorer - I prefer an inline Philips. [​IMG]

Spioleng mastooks courtesy of Tapatalk

mud80, radiobob, Vesp and 1 other person like this.
  7. MWDP

MWDP Banned

The regular Tinker is more of my kinda choice. The best SAK though... Either the Pioneer or Cadet.

Vesp likes this.
  8. Quixotica

Quixotica Loaded Pockets

I never liked the Explorer. It was always one layer too thick for me, as much as I liked the inline Philips. A Yeoman would do me just fine, though.

9. Gryffin
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gryffin Loaded Pockets

If you use pliers regularly, yeah, the Tinker Deluxe is about the smallest SAK that has 'em, and other basic tools. I've always thought it occupied a real "sweet spot" that way.

10. gstojinovic

gstojinovic Loaded Pockets

That's my choice also... Though modded cyber tool 21 w/added scissors would be perfect!

11. Pine Box Parkinson
    • In Omnia Paratus

Pine Box Parkinson Not a N00b

For me, my go to SAK was always the Climber. I'm sending it back to the repair center today to get fixed up. But for the past few months, it's been Cadets. I like the slim feel in my front pocket. It's a toss up.

12. Sriracha

Sriracha Loaded Pockets

I have to have a corkscrew. I have had several occasions at parties and gatherings where people know I have a SAK, and need a bottle of wine opened, and when I produced a SAK with a phillips driver, I actually get booed. I only carry SAKs with screws now, with the exception of my Alox. If I am going to a party or such, a climber, explorer, or compact is in my pocket/party Skinth. That being said, The Tinker Deluxe is a nice piece, and I was considering a purchase, then I got my Swiss Spirit. I am all Swissed out at the moment.

radiobob likes this.
  13. GADGET982

GADGET982 Loaded Pockets

I have to throw the farmer in, I'm kinda shocked that I'm the first to mention it.

radiobob and CitizenSnips like this.
  14. dmattaponi

dmattaponi Loaded Pockets

I don't know if I think it's the "best", but it's definitely right up there. I've been thinking about making a Deluxe Tinker my EDC. Currently carrying a Craftsman.

15. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips Loaded Pockets

Always liked the versatility of the Fieldmaster. If I could switch the openers for the bantam style opener and a magnifying glass it'd be the only SAK I'd ever need. If I want pliers I'm doing something too heavy duty for a SAK, so I'll have a Leatherman or actual tools on me.

But that's not to say I wouldn't own more SAKs, the "best" SAK is one you own and use regularly ;)

16. 62Tele

62Tele Loaded Pockets

Cadet or Executive in the pocket, Spirit X in the pack.

I have an old Swisschamp that I carried all over the Sierras, Canada, Nepal, India and Thailand and while we have a lot of history together, it's too bulky for pocket carry and not as high utility as the Spirit.

17. metropolicity

metropolicity Loaded Pockets

If you dig the DeluxeTinker, I highly suggest looking for the Trouble shooter. Same load out plus a file and a chisel layer.

Coupled with plus scales, it makes me feel like I can do anything.

Gryffin, dmattaponi and misterS like this.
  18. radiobob

radiobob Loaded Pockets

Actually, I can carry my Champ no prob if I use a dangler. But my EDC these days is an Explorer, I use the magnifying glass quite a bit, the scissors sometimes, and I've opened a few bottles of wine. Never used the hook yet though.

Bob

19. znapschatz

znapschatz Loaded Pockets

Years ago, I settled on 3; Swisschamp, Tinker and Rambler. When pocket carrying the champ, which is seldom, it's by dangler. Mostly it rides in a belt pouch, where differences in the felt weight between that and almost anything else is little or none. Sometimes I like to go light with a Tinker, which offers the most tools in two layers, and the Rambler is always with me, attached to a micro light. In 2008 I added an OH Trekker to the collection for outdoor purposes, and that's been it. Over time I have tried out a number of different SAKs, liked them all, but always went back to the the Big Three (plus 1). These are, for me, the ideal SAKs in their size categories and I see no need to accumulate any more.

radiobob likes this.
  20. billybeans

billybeans Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]
    custom HANES farmer with ti frame lock. and a bigger 440hc blade
    hold on im trying to think of words to express myself

oh here it is :banghead:

Pord, jag-engr, Stormdrane and 2 others like this.