1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Timex Mod

Discussion in 'Watches' started by RustyR, Sep 26, 2016.

1. RustyR

RustyR Empty Pockets

I just dropped off my old Timex Expedition watch to get a domed sapphire crystal. The jeweler is going to call with a quote and I will decide if I just want another mineral crystal rather than the ~$150 sapphire. Was wondering if anyone had any opinions on whether this is worth it. Here is the watch with the current crystal that has now been broken to measure.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9xtwIwUuTWgX1Q5QXRGNnZIVnM/view?usp=sharing

WillAdams likes this.
  2. WillAdams

WillAdams Loaded Pockets

My own Timex Expedition has been going strong since ~2005 (I just wish I'd bought the model w/ the Ingersoll-branded face which was briefly available, but which wasn't to be had when I finally needed a new watch) --- if the crystal is going to bring you more pleasure, I'd go for it --- worst case is you transfer it to a brand-new watch when the current one dies, right?

3. Theskyiscrying

Theskyiscrying Loaded Pockets

Just me personally, I would not spend more on a crystal than what the whole watch was brand new. I would take that money and buy a new watch with a sapphire crystal.

But to each his own....

4. RustyR

RustyR Empty Pockets

Is around $150 a normal price for sapphire crystal. I am seeing them online for around $30.

5. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

If installation is included in the $150 price tag, take that into account; also keep in mind that they may be using higher quality, more expensive crystals than you're finding online. However, it's all up to you whether you want to go for it or not. Personally, I wouldn't.

mole likes this.
  6. RustyR

RustyR Empty Pockets

Decided to go with it. Replaced the leather with a khaki, nylon strap. Before I put the new crystal in the watch movement was very loud. I thought this wouldn't be an issue after the thicker crystal was put in, but it's still very loud. Is there any way to minimize the noise of the movement? It was pretty dumb to put in such a nice crystal to this $30 watch, but I like the look of it. Is this watch face discontinued? I can't seem to find it anywhere online.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9xtwIwUuTWga0NJeFljb1ZRYkE/view?usp=sharing
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9xtwIwUuTWgQl9tWFpNa2NpM00/view?usp=sharing

WillAdams likes this.
  7. nolaradio

nolaradio Loaded Pockets

Your watch looks nice.

Personally I had a Timex Expedition that crapped out on me after about two years. Replaced it with another of the same model. That one lasted about three years. After that, I decided I to go with a Casio G-Shock. That was about 12 years ago. Best mod to the Expedition that I could have ever made.

I hope you have better luck with your Expedition.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  8. ItsHardToKnow

ItsHardToKnow Loaded Pockets

You might have the most expensive expedition there is.

Nothing to brag about though.

I have one and like it, though Ive been more into my weekender lately