1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Timex - A watch story

Discussion in 'Watches' started by DCBman, Jan 28, 2022.

1. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

When I was a kid my parents had a friend in FL who was an old Navy Captain (Capt. of an LST during WWII). He was the nicest guy, and I admired him. He had this thing about Timex watches; he always wore one. One time I asked him why he always wore a Timex; were they really that tough? His answer surprised me. No, they weren't tough at all, but they had a great warranty.

He said he had two Timex watches, both el-cheapo models, and both identical. He had an identical boat to ours, and we were always fishing and around water. His philosophy was he'd wear one of the watches until it croaked (usually a couple months), and then he'd send it in for warranty. In the meantime he would wear the other watch. Timex never fixed the watches, they always just sent him a new one (they were cheap, even then). He basically just rotated watches...forever. I liked his idea.

I always wanted to get a Timex but I could never find one I liked. When I finally did I tried out his warranty route, but I didn't have nearly the luck he did (which killed that idea). Fast forward a couple decades. ...

Over the years I'd heard the "Takes a licking and keeps on ticking' mantra a million times. I wanted to like Timex, but again never found anything which fit me. Then Timex came out with their 'Indiglo' light system, so I bought one. Well, the first thing to fail was the Indiglo. Timex dogged me on the warranty, but I wasn't deterred, so I bought another one. Indiglo, the feature I liked the best, failed first again! Now I was mad. Timex watches were always a little small on me. Then one day I found the Timex Expedition XL. Hey, finally a watch big enough for my huge wrist!

Well, guess what? First thing to fail was the Indiglo light system. DANG-IT!! Now I was even madder! So I threw the watch in a drawer and forgot about it...forever. Never again.

About 7 years later we were moving and I was cleaning out a junk drawer and I found this Timex. It was still running, and it even had the correct time and date. But, I was still sore, and the Indiglo still didn't work. I'd long since made up my mind I'd never buy another Timex, and I decided to give this one a miserable life to the end. I was going to torture this thing until it died, and see what it really took to kill it once and for all.

The most difficult environment I could think of for it was to live out the rest of its life...in the shower. So, I strapped the band onto the shampoo and soap holder in the shower, making sure it would be in the direct stream for every shower my wife and I took...forever. It would endure minerals from well water, cold water, hot water, steam and all manner of thermal dynamics. Plus, I really like to know what time it is when I'm in the shower so I can see if I'm running late. Win-win, right?

Well, that was five (5) years ago, and that watch is still running and keeping the correct time and date! I've never set it, and I've never taken it out of the shower. I've had to scrape the minerals off of it a couple times, but other than that it just hangs there telling me what time it is. The watch must be 15 years old now, if not more, and the last 5 years have been spent in the shower. It's still the original battery and everything. I've never done a thing to this watch!

I guess they really do take a licking and keep on ticking (sort of, provided you don't need the Indiglo light feature).

I'm mildly impressed actually. And that, folks, is a true story!

mash4077 and steel_6 like this.
  2. MatBlack

MatBlack Loaded Pockets

This only applies to vintage wind-up models, but you may find this interesting.

Nick4305 and ran23 like this.
  3. mash4077

mash4077 Loaded Pockets

That’s awesome.

MatBlack likes this.