1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Time to try a new bag - recommendations?

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Bloodstriker, Oct 26, 2016.

1. Pepsi Jedi

Pepsi Jedi Loaded Pockets

Indeed.

What part of Canada are you from Bloodstriker?

2. Bloodstriker

Bloodstriker Loaded Pockets

I'm in Vancouver. Lots of rain and not much snow.

3. IndianaGeo

IndianaGeo Loaded Pockets

Upper Peninsula (UP) Michigan.

4. Bloodstriker

Well, it's been a few days and I would like to update this thread with my initial impressions and some questions about this bag.

So far, I've added a 5.11 4x6 Pouch, 5.11 Radio Pouch, and a medium and small sized Vanquest dump pouch. These are just for testing and I won't be keeping this many accessories on the bag.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I do wish that the molle go higher than just 3 rows. It would have been nice to be able to put the dump pouches up higher.

The bag itself appears to be well made. I don't see any sign of loose stitching or workmanship flaws.

The bottom of the bag includes some molle. I have attached some shock cord with a cord lock to be able to attach rolled items such as a sleeping bag, etc.

[​IMG]

I've also added some grimlocks to various places on the bag. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

One thing that I noticed was that the hydration tube routing needs an addition Velcro. I had to move the Velcro tab lower to be able to secure it properly.

Before:

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

It's not a huge issue, but an additional Velcro ties could be added to keep the tube from rubbing against my neck. This can be easily fixed.

The one really annoying thing about this pack..(Are you listening, Vanquest?) is the waist belt. It requires two hands to open. I mean, these types of buckles are used to keep children from unfastening the buckles on carriers, strollers, car seats etc. Why on earth would you need this on a back pack?

The pass-thorugh pocket in the front is handy for storing small easy to reach items. I keep a ziplock bag and a pack of tissue in there. The high biz orange is a nice touch.

[​IMG]

The main admin compartment is really what this bag is about. It was he main selling feature for me. The fact that they've included the high biz orange is awesome. It also includes a fast open tab, which can be stored in the compartment if not needed. It can also clamshell open.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The upper admin compartment is strange. There's no dedicated area to spore sunglasses or phones (as in microfibre area). It's also not long enough to store standard size pens. I'm still trying to figure out what to use this area for. It looks like longer items need to go in the larger admin compartment. This is also the only compartment without double zippers. This is my least favourite part of the bag.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The middle section also clamshells open and has good storage options.

[​IMG]

On one side, we have a loop field with a pouch up top. This area is great for longer items, however, I'm using it to store my shopping bag, organizer, rain cover and the waist belt.

[​IMG]

On the other side, we have two mesh bags. The mesh is has a clear plastic backing. I've moved some things out of the bag. It will normally keep my tech gadgets on the top and a change of clothes for my kid at the bottom (power bank, cables, chargers, cases, etc.)

[​IMG]

The main compartment also clamshells. Both sides have large loop fields. On one side, we have a loop field with a small hidden storage area. I have put my solar charger and iPad with keyboard case in there. I've also added an admin panel with pouch and a Vanquest elastic organizer as well.

[​IMG]

On the other side, there's a large loop panel with some webbing on either side. There are also two flaps that contain loop fields as well. I've added a large mesh pouch in where is store my rain gear. I've also added two small pouches to the left flap (will make one a first aid kit). I've also added a loop panel on the other flap. I'm not sure what I plan to do with this but I'm thinking of it would be useful for storing boxes of 22LR if I head out to the bush.

[​IMG]

I also do keep an Arc'teryx Atom LT in her as well, in case it gets cold. [​IMG]

The design of the main compartment is great. It allows me to easily open different parts at a time.

For example, I can just open the top to access the pouch with my rain gear or admin pouch. [​IMG]

Or either side. [​IMG][​IMG]

At the very back, there's a vey narrow compartment with a large loop field. This is meant for either CCW or hydration. I was able to ft a 3L Source reservoir, however, it may bulge the pack when completely full.

[​IMG]

The stamps are comfortable and I have no complaints. They offer som me webbing and D-rings. They also have quick detach, which is nice. I love the whistle buckle on the sternum strap.

[​IMG]

My thoughts on this bag.

So far, I really like the bag. The organization and quality is top notch. However, I wish there were a few changes.

The bag feels slightly too small for all of its features.

I feel it needs to be slightly larger in all dimensions (maybe an inch?). This would allow for better fit of the hydration pack, and would allow pens to be placed on the small admin pouch.

It feels as if I fill one compartment, the adjacent ones loose volume. This needs to be able to expand out more like an accordion.

Each compartment is quite narrow and it's tough to store bulky items in here.

I also feel like there needs to be a bit more molle. What's provided doesn't allow for much flexibility. Perhaps laser cut molle to keep the grey man theme.

Overall, I'm really enjoying this pack. It's has its faults but is unique enough to warrant the purchase.

Now for my questions:

1. What is this buckle for at the top of the pack?

[​IMG]

2. What are these loops used for? They are found around the face of the pack.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

pks and Rainy like this.
  5. Jay-uk

Jay-uk Loaded Pockets

Looks perfect to place a clip or hook to secure zipper pulls

6. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I think that might be the smallest gun & Holster I have ever seen!

7. Bloodstriker

I saw it at the store and... it's was all impulse buy from there..
    The cool part is the holster actually retains the gun well enough that I can dangle keys off of it.

EZDog likes this.
  8. Skunk Ape

Skunk Ape Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

This is what I used them for.

9. Bloodstriker

I'm not sure I understand what I'm seeing...

10. Skunk Ape

Skunk Ape Loaded Pockets

I have bungie chord going through them. I use the cord to hang things and also to loop around stuff to lash it to the outside of the pack.

11. Bloodstriker

That's a great idea!

Skunk Ape likes this.
  12. Bloodstriker

That's a great idea!

13. steeps

steeps Loaded Pockets

Could the loops be used for running shock cord criss crossing the front of the pack?

14. Bloodstriker

Ooh. I think you can do that and use the mid compartment to store oversized items?

15. Bloodstriker

Ooh. I think you can do that and use the mid compartment to store oversized items?

16. Skunk Ape

Skunk Ape Loaded Pockets

I tried that but it's very hard to open anything if you do that.

17. Thomas Chagrin

Thomas Chagrin Loaded Pockets

Man, I'm jealous of the orange on the inside of your Falconer! I have a Black Multicam Falconer and it doesn't have the hi-viz interior. I love my pack and, honestly, that little top front pouch is the one that I'm in and out of the most when I travel - I keep little necessities like iPhone cable, ear buds, pack of gum, travel package of Tums, etc. I've had that pocket on several bags (S&W/Allen sling pack - like Maxpedition Sitka Gearslinger, Trident 20, Javelin, and now Falconer) and I'd feel naked without it. Hey, everyone organizes differently! I've noticed that the Falconer isn't currently on Vanquest's website, so I'm interested to see if they are updating it. I recently got a Black Multicam Ibex 30 on sale and want to see how that is for my upcoming 3 week trip to Germany. I don't think that the Falconer is going to cut it because I want to take my travel necessities as well as a change of clothes for the plane and train rides - I don't want to be totally out of luck if I lose my checked luggage. My point is that the Falconer can be a bit tight, especially since it's organized so well that each divided space ends up smaller than maybe we would want.

Redneck Bear likes this.
  18. Myrddraal

Myrddraal Loaded Pockets

I believe the webbing loop with the snap buckle at the top is meant to be run through the zipper pull loops and snapped shut to make it harder for pickpockets to open, without actually locking the zippers together.

Bwana1 likes this.
  19. Bwana1

Bwana1 Loaded Pockets

Correct, they use the webbing loop to secure the zippers from unsuspected rear entry...some other bags use the compression straps to hide the zipper pulls, to make it more difficult for thieves to access from behind.

20. pks

pks Loaded Pockets

Nice setup / writeup !

Who makes that admin panel? I have not seen that before.

Thanks,
    P.K.