1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Time to gather info & feedback for new products!

Discussion in 'Alpha One Niner (bags & gear)' started by HELM, Jun 13, 2018.

1. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

I really appreciate that! I'll hold.

2. HELM
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer

HELM Loaded Pockets

Here you go sir, they created a new discount code for the forum, 15-EDC-OFF.

Hope this helps.

RED-FIVE, twin63 and sleestac like this.
  3. pks

pks Loaded Pockets

My EDC carry is mostly 'office' and 'tech' stuff, so the only one that works for me right now is the bond travel gear travel pouch. I do not need a lot of loop/band type organization for tubular objects. The bond gear one with the pockets are more useful. I have the MSM stealth admin pouch which I like in theory, but the weight/material to actual carrying capacity made not not really use it at all after initial testing. That's why I like the ripstock bag options that @HELM offer. Sometimes I don't want the bag/pouch to weight more than it's content.

However, structure is important, so ripstock pouch probably wouldn't work for me (like the tom bihn stuff).

My micro EDC is the smallest Husky pouch that comes in a three pack. Simple zip pocket, strong, with a small window. I tried many cheap asian case/pouch and still keep coming back to it. For small pouches, visibility into the content is important as I carry multiple pouches with me especially when I travel. So being able to get to the one that has the right items in it quickly is important.

I can't wait for whatever you are cooking up @HELM !

P.K.

RED-FIVE and HELM like this.
  4. HELM
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer

HELM Loaded Pockets

Hey PK! Question - why wouldn't the Tom Binh stuff do? Is it because it doesn't have much 'body', ie, only fabric and no fillers nor padding between layer. Any fabric with a layer in between is going to have more structure. Even 1000D nylon, used over a period, loses it's structure. The only guarantee is to give it additional 'body'.

Ref BTG - I like that pouch too. I'm actually working on one based on another company's pouch that I saw (Ground Tech). I'm not a big fan of those large headset, preferring the more compact Bose earplugs but the majority are still into it.

H

5. pks

pks Loaded Pockets

For the Tom Binh pouches -- I mean the ones that are just flat without "depth". They have some that are more 3D with thicker materials on the "depth" side -- those work. I actually use the IKEA pouches right now as well and they are similar in design -- but only because the size is good but I do not like the overall quality. So if there better versions of those simple pouch that would be good too.

Now that you got me thinking about this more, I think my idea set of pouches are one that not only varied in size, but also in depth. Have just enough structure but do not scarify weight, because for my use cases I am not going into the fields with them, and some internal organization of the pouch reaches a size that I have multiple types of items in them.

Options for customization would be nice, from zipper pulls to patches, definitely something to hook a carabiner to so that if I need to hang it I can.

If you are talking about the tech pouches from thisisground? They stuff looks nice but again seems like too many band type of organization, whereas I want dividers and mesh or plain zips with some body.

P.K.

HELM likes this.
  6. sleestac

sleestac Loaded Pockets

I'm all in for a more grey man/office carry version. There are plenty of molle versions out there. Having some beef or longevity to them is nice but the trade off of weight is tough.

RED-FIVE, HELM and PragmaticMurphyist like this.
  7. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

Awesome! I just ordered both the single and double Penguin Pouches. I'll let you know how they work out. I might actually use the single for a small toolkit that I'm putting together for a second bag. Thanks again!

RED-FIVE and HELM like this.
  8. RED-FIVE
    • In Omnia Paratus

RED-FIVE Loaded Pockets

Alright @HELM great thread! Time to jump in...

Many or some of my favorite pouches have already been mentioned. Really liking Your Recon PTO and it's a perfect size. I also like the Vanquest Pocket Organizer internal layouts.

Would be nice to eventually see you guys do some pull out panel vertical organizers like the...
    Kifaru Chamber Slider - Organizer https://store.kifaru.net/mobile/chamber-slider-p252.aspx
    Also...
    Chamber Slider - PALS
    https://store.kifaru.net/mobile/chamber-slider-p252.aspx

Anyways, I could go on and on...
    Here's a "short list" of personal favs:
    • MSM Stealth Compact Admin
    • A19 Recon PTO (Passport & Travel Organizer) "not sure if this was mentioned".
    • TAD OP-1 Admin
    • Condor TT Admin
    • Condor I Pouch
    • Maxpedition Janus Extension Pocket
    Velcro Style:
    • Maxpedtion Hook & Loop Organizer pocket (Small)
    • Maxpedition Hook & Loop pockets - 3x5 & 5x7.
    • Tactical Tailor’s Rapid Repositionable Pouch System (RRPS) 500D Pouches.
    Sometimes I'll find a use for the Case Logic media pouches typically found at big box stores. I've also found the Husky (Home Depot) utility pouches quite versatile as the guys mentioned. I'm always on the look out for those pouches that may go under the radar because they're off in the camera or computer accesories dept. However the quality is not what I hope for mostly. Cheaper fabrics and overly padded.

I would like very much to find a carry all battery organizer - some well made hook velcro pouch that can securely carry multiple sizes of rechargebles batteries and also room for a small single cell usb charger and a cord or two.

Have some more thoughts and pics. Some of these pouches have been repurposed for lack of a better option...
    [​IMG]
    Husky Contractor's Pouch Set (Home Depot)... These have a good dimensions and spacing between sizes. I wish the mesh window was clear pvc that would make these water resistant. As it is the water goes right through the micro mesh stripe on the front. Other than the cheap plastic coated and what looks like 1680 ballistic nylon... they are extremely useful. Maybe a small area of loop velcro for a patch would also be a nice thing for enhanced ID and labeling.
    [​IMG]
    The XL pouch is 7x12" and has a gusseted bottom design.
    [​IMG]
    The bottom design allows it to stand upright on a level surface which is extremely helpful when accessing contents. The gusset also expands the divided interior to have a spacious front section and a flat divided pocket. Works great for bulky items and slender ones.
    [​IMG]
    The Large pouch is 6.5 x 8.25" - Medium is 5.5 x 6.5" - Small is 4.5 x 5.25". I think an additional Extra Small size might be good... 3 x 4" maybe?
    [​IMG]
    Here's one of those instances where a case was repurposed. The Case Logic - Flash Drive Storage Case. This is used for battery storage. I have since seen gear pouches for batteries, but they don't always fit the larger rechargeable cells like 18650's or they are not secure enough to ensure the cells can not become dislodged and cause a hazard.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Each side has three divided stretch elastic and mesh slots for items.
    [​IMG]
    Though quite a few common batteries will fit, there's still some wasted space.
    [​IMG]
    Here's the LiHit Labs Smart Fit Compact Pen Case, though it could have many uses other than carrying pens.
    [​IMG]
    It has a acceptable minimum size. It fits both pens and a small Field Notes sized or smaller 3x5" note pad. I think in terms of a minimum sized item, Field Notes and a pen pocket protector, are a good metric for this size of case which is 4x7". I don't think it would be useful once it drops below this dimension for admin and writing supplies.

They both fit snug... the case overall could be a bit larger. While it does have some padding, I'm not sure it is needed. Once again, your PTO is quite roomy in comparison, and I very much prefer its non padded design for this type of application.
    [​IMG]
    The Griffin Headphone (Earbud) Case is a tiny zip organizer that can also unexpectedly hold a lot of different types of EDC. It is also slightly padded. I've repurposed it to hold a Photon Freedom Covert led light along with some coin batteries.
    [​IMG]
    Still room for more, and many folks have ended up removing the internal padding to gain more usable space.
    [​IMG]
    Lastly I'd like to give another nod to the MSM/Tactical Tailor Stealth Compact Admin...

What is impressive along with the workmanship and quality of materials is the spacing of the pockets and height of the organized slots. They fit some very common sized items. Here again, the Field Notes and pen protector fit great in all three areas... the front sleeve behind the velcro, as well the middle and rear pocket.

Multitools and 18650 tac lights have no issues with fit either. There is a bit of careful staggering of adjacent gear to make it work sometimes, but overall I have been pleased with the results. Isn't it great when these admin pouches actually fit common items we all carry? Sadly, this is not always the case.

The Stealth Compact also has a overall manageable width that drops easily into backpack's admin section from my experience with the Evade, Rush, Camelbak, TT, Vertx, MSM, TNF ect. One other thing that I wish was an option is to have a lighter 500D version. This is what TT did with their "Fight Light" line, producing some of their gear systems with lighter weight materials.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was also thinking beyond pouches and how great it would be to have a nice Cordura Notebook Field Organizer and Writing System. Something for us old school pen and paper wielding Jedi.

Something that zips up with an external pocket for storing pens, pencils, eraser stick, and a small ruler. Sized in the standard Composition book size 9.75 x 7.5" or there about.

And even something in the A5, 8.5 x 5.5 for Journal sized books like Rhodia's Webnotebook. Great paper btw.

Hope we can keep this thread rolling. I'd be glad to contribute as things progress. Gives us something to do while we're waiting on the Evade 2.0! Right?
    :smile_coffee:

Wish you well on all your summer endeavors, have a great vacation Helm.

Last edited by RED-FIVE, Jan 30, 2019
    #28 RED-FIVE, Jun 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
    pks, sleestac, twin63 and 1 other person like this.
  9. HELM
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer

HELM Loaded Pockets

Thanks @RED-FIVE, that is quite a brief!

I’m glad I put this thread up cos I’m seeing quite a bit of info here that I’ve never thought of before. So thank you ALL for sharing. I’ve got 3 more days before we head out but it will give me enough time to put something together before I present this to the group next month.

There’s probably 100 items that I’d like to see being put out but the reality of it all is more like 12. Will keep you guys posted as and when I can cos after this vacation I’m back hitting road for some time.

On a separate note, Happy Father’s Day to all the pops here!

twin63 and RED-FIVE like this.
  10. RED-FIVE
    • In Omnia Paratus

RED-FIVE Loaded Pockets

Indeed! Thank you @HELM - Happy Fathers Day!

When I sat down to write a reply I had to pause and consider my list was only a fraction of what I have concerning pouches. I thought if from the bulk of our suggestions you could gleen a few ideas then that's great. I'm glad you were able to do just that! And hey 12 new designs? That's awesome!

Last edited by RED-FIVE, Sep 12, 2018
    #30 RED-FIVE, Jun 17, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
    twin63 likes this.
  11. HELM
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer

HELM Loaded Pockets

@RED-FIVE, I see a number of you guys liking TT's RRPS. I am now thinking if I should mod SERT's Admin Chest Pouch for something like this. Currently it is setup for MOLLE mounting but it is an easy do to swap to loop. We are currently using this to hold AO maps and a blue force tracking / situational awareness device.

RED-FIVE likes this.
  12. RED-FIVE
    • In Omnia Paratus

RED-FIVE Loaded Pockets

Helm could you post a direct link to this SERT Admin Chest Pouch? I'm not finding it on the sert website.

Sound good otherwise. I would think adding hook back interface instead of PALS is an easy do!

13. HELM
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer

HELM Loaded Pockets

Man, there’s a ton of stuff that SERT does and have in our product collection that is not even shown online. Mostly we make it available for end user contracts, etc. I need to look at some of these gear and make it available to all. Here are photos of that pouch:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

twin63, BTG108 and RED-FIVE like this.
  14. RED-FIVE
    • In Omnia Paratus

RED-FIVE Loaded Pockets

@HELM Yes Absolutely!!! I need this in black!!

That would be fantastic in both molle and hook backed. So releasing hook backed versions would effectively double your catalog! I like the internal loop field.
    I wonder if this Hook Admin version could be repurposed as field battery/charging organizer system with use of you V kit elastic holders. Hmmm.

15. RED-FIVE
    • In Omnia Paratus

RED-FIVE Loaded Pockets

@HELM after seeing the Sert Admin Chest pouch... I'm wondering what else you guys make we haven't seen?
    :smile_coffee:

BTG108 likes this.
  16. HELM
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer

HELM Loaded Pockets

Most of the gear we have developed have been for clients, contracts, that sorta things and most are weapon cases with or without custom pouches. Sometimes we have more basic items likes laptop bags below. Otherwise I don't think the pouches we have are going to work well for EDC use. I was looking at at re-making our NVD pouch for the guys since this is a first time I'm hearing our fellow forumites carrying binos.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

twin63 and RED-FIVE like this.
  17. RED-FIVE
    • In Omnia Paratus

RED-FIVE Loaded Pockets

Really nice! I just saw it browsing the site this morning. Is the padded laptop sleeve removable?

I think the SERT ACP has applications for edc in molle or velcro versions. It looks like a perfect size. Also the velcro panel organizers you and sneaky bags do can also crossover for putting together personalized system with many packs now being offered with full wall loop fields.

Would be great to see slick (no pals or molle ) vertical & horizontal pouch with small loop field patch on front for I.D. purposes with hook back in the style of the SERT Modular Utility Vertical, Horizontal Pouches.
    4.5x7.5 and 2" or 3" depth.

Definitely would like to see that modular removable velcro pouch ethos expanded upon.

Last edited by RED-FIVE, Jun 17, 2018
    #37 RED-FIVE, Jun 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  18. HELM
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer

HELM Loaded Pockets

No it’s not. It has a removable padding for larger laptops. The opposite is a wall of loop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RED-FIVE likes this.
  19. pks

pks Loaded Pockets

That was a great post, and it lead me to realized there is a different MSM Admin pouch then mine. I have the horizontal one. This one: "Stealth Compact" looks much more usable from your pictures. Thanks!

P.K.

RED-FIVE likes this.
  20. RED-FIVE
    • In Omnia Paratus

RED-FIVE Loaded Pockets

Thanks pks!
    That's correct... I have both. I get a lot of use out of them. They've been all around great.

There's the original MSM Stealth Admin pouch, and then Stealth Compact Admin pouch at 2/3's the width. It hits that sweet spot when space is tight.

If I had to choose between the two..... I'd probably go with the Stealth Compact due to its size. I mentioned it because it really has I good dimensions for both external and internal use at 7 x 4.5". I drop it in a pack most of the time, and consumes only a couple of pals columns externally. It's definitely a forum fav.

Last edited by RED-FIVE, Jun 18, 2018
    #40 RED-FIVE, Jun 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2018