1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Time to gather info & feedback for new products!

Discussion in 'Alpha One Niner (bags & gear)' started by HELM, Jun 13, 2018 at 11:23 AM.

1. HELM
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer

HELM Loaded Pockets

Hey gang,

I'm working on a project to help a new EDC startup, more focused on pouches and organizers. So as is my norm, I defer to you guys who know more about this then I will ever do!

So, can you help list 3 to 5 EDC pouches and/or organizers that you like and the one that got away? And what is that one pouch or organizer that you want and must have but can't find?

Fire way! Thanks!

Helm

@Chris C @sleestac @RED-FIVE @twin63 @PragmaticMurphyist @pks @Akilae @fallow @Bobby Leang @Ike582 @IMWILSON @tkill @Myrddraal @Cobra 6 Actual

#1 HELM, Jun 13, 2018 at 11:23 AM
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2018 at 7:05 AM
    RED-FIVE and sleestac like this.
  2. Myrddraal

Myrddraal Loaded Pockets

Hi Helm!

Here are my favorite (in no particular order) pouches/organizers as well as their current use in my setup rotation:

-Maxpedition 3x5 and 5x7 velcro-backed pouches. The smaller is the perfect size for an external battery to charge my phone, and the larger fits my XDS 9mm like it was made for it. I like that I can rip them out of whatever bag I have them in and stick them to the loop surface of another in seconds.

-Maxpedition Fatty pouch. This is my combo Dopp kit and emergency tech pouch (I know, weird combo). It's just the right size and has a good combinations of pockets and slots/elastic retainers.

-LBX Tactical Admin panel. Another velcro-backed pouch that is good for smaller items like pens, lights and multitools.

-MSM GP Insert. This is a simple two-pocket insert with a rear slot pocket. The two front pockets hold items like hand sanitizer and bug spray bottles very well.

-MSM Stealth Compact Admin pouch. This is my favorite admin pouch bar none. It holds just enough while requiring a small enough Molle footprint to make it attachable to almost anything.

-Hill People Gear original kit bag V2. I don't know if this qualifies as a pouch per se, but it's one of my favorite pieces of gear that has changed how I organize my gear.

I would love to have a velcro-backed pouch that could fit my tablet chromebook. I would also love to see a padded velcro or even just standard Molle pouch for fragile items like my DSLR or even medium binos. I would have said a drop-in organizer, but I can think of one I'm very excited about that made an appearance in a recent video here ;-)

I feel like I'm forgetting something. I'll post more later if I did miss another favorite of mine. Hope this helps!

RED-FIVE and HELM like this.
  3. sleestac

sleestac Loaded Pockets

My top pouches/organizers are:

Maxpedition pocket organizers - great loops for organizing. Mini for the charging cords
    Maxpedition coccoon - good dump pouch that doesn't get crazy due to the limited size
    Maxpedition Janus - Good midsize dump with loops and dividers.
    Matroskya - newest of the pouches but the way they hang on a D-ring is great. Size options and cost are great.
    Timbuk2 Shagg Bag (discontinued) - the thing that makes this great is the way it attaches to straps, without disconnecting the strap. I'd like to see a slightly larger version for newer phones or options for quick grab items. I use it for glass cleaner wipe, soft clothe for glasses, individual wet wipe and head phones and that is tight.

I'd like to see options for attaching to hook and loop, like in A19 bags. I started with all the molle bags and have gone to more grey man bags. I am now on the less is more and not carrying the kitchen sink. The ability to swap out pouches is critical for me. I always care a boo boo kit, won't call it first aid since it is far from that. I always carry a charge kit for phones/ipad.

I'd like to see a case like the Shagg Bag but slightly larger with a pen loop. The attachment is great. It's not tactical, like Maxpedition. I'd like for it to fit a newer size phone with case. The 5.11 Covrt Tech Sleeve is another example of a discontinued pouch that I wish was just a little bigger for today's phones.

I'm sure others will have more ideas. My guess is getting into these pouches/organizers you'll get a variety of suggestions. More grey man options are great.

RED-FIVE, Myrddraal and HELM like this.
  4. sleestac

sleestac Loaded Pockets

The MSM stealth compact admin is the best admin out there. My only issue with it is I jam too much stuff in it, my problem not the pouches.

5. HELM
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer

HELM Loaded Pockets

Thanks guys! Always appreciate you sharing your thoughts!

6. Myrddraal

Myrddraal Loaded Pockets

That's a really good idea, and something I would love to have.

7. BTG108

BTG108 Loaded Pockets

If I could design my own: start with a Kifaru Organizer and add something like a small Kifaru Belt Pouch to the outside.

Best of both worlds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HELM likes this.
  8. HELM
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer

HELM Loaded Pockets

Okay you got me on this one. What's a Shagg Bag? The only one I know is the one we use at golf (shag bag)!

9. sleestac

sleestac Loaded Pockets

It's discontinued but here is a youtube link for it.

10. HELM
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer

HELM Loaded Pockets

Thanks man. I wonder why they stopped offering this. It's a pretty neat piece. I can see this being used to hold a GoTenna for those who use it for close comms

11. sleestac

sleestac Loaded Pockets

HELM likes this.
  12. HELM
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer

HELM Loaded Pockets

That's what I thought 'cos I saw this being offered but the guys are complaining that it is not water resistant enough because of the gaps.

13. sleestac

sleestac Loaded Pockets

The cyclists, Timubuk2's audience or a piece of it, want it waterproof. I put my phone is a ziplock baggie and have no issues.

Having small, medium, large versions of this would be great.

Thanks for starting the conversation on this @HELM

HELM likes this.
  14. HELM
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer

HELM Loaded Pockets

You're welcome @sleestac. The larger group that we belong to is slowly making a push for more support of EDC products. Granted that adds yet another load on my plate but the guys are determined to do this, so yeah I'm on board to help. I have family summer vacation coming up in a week but the whole product development group will be meeting at the production studio on July 4th (kid you not) to review everything. I hope our Embassy there is going to throw some party for US expats!

RED-FIVE and Myrddraal like this.
  15. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

This is a timely post! I've been on medical leave and have been re-organizing my carry gear to add some modularity and decrease weight. I'm somewhat pouch poor - just can't seem to settle on specific pieces.

What I currently have:

A handful of inexpensive EDC/gear organizers (VooDoo Tactical and Orca Tactical). Not the best quality, but ok for keeping odds and ends together.

Matroskya pouches - Love'em! I use the small in the admin section of my Evade for OTC meds. The medium and large are hanging in the main compartment whether being used or not. They stay out of the way until they are needed. I've found the large useful for hiding and protecting documents.

What I would like:

I'm looking for an IFAK/Trauma pouch to carry in the Evade - large enough for a SOF-T Wide tourniquet, compression bandage, Celox, shears, gloves and maybe a couple of other items. No molle...just a basic, minimalist pouch designed for those specific items. Fast opening would be nice, but not a deal breaker. Something like the zippered book covers people use, in a durable material and appropriate size, would be great. There may already be a pouch like this out there and I have just overlooked it.

Some kind of small pocket organizer. This is where I get stumped. I'm business casual with fairly regular shirt/tie days and can't carry most of the pocket organizers with that attire. I don't like a lot in my front pockets (I already have a front pocket wallet and keys in addition to a small light and knife). I would like something slim and non-tactical for the back pocket to hold my backup flashlight, maybe a Vic Cadet, thumb drive, etc. Size-wise, in the range of 3" x 4". There was a company called Triple Seven Gear that was making some organizers like this (sold by $20 Bandit?), but I haven't seen them in stock now for quite some time.

Also, like Myrddraal, I wouldn't mind a decent case for the 10x25 Bushnell binos I got the other day. The pouch that came with them doesn't offer any real protection.

Not sure how many options the group you're working with would want to offer, but for me I would like to see some pouches and organizers that are built tough but don't look out of place in a Board Room. Like the concept with the Evade. I carry it to corporate meetings, but then beat the crap out of it on weekends.

I'm sure I'll come up with a couple of other "wants" before this is over;).

RED-FIVE, Myrddraal and HELM like this.
  16. HELM
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer

HELM Loaded Pockets

Dude you recovering okay? Nothing serious I hope?

A couple of things........

This new start-up is going to give these other brands a run for their money. Their products are going to be well priced but good quality at the same time ;)

Have you look at the Penguin pouches from Sneaky Bags?
    https://sneakybags.com/collections/accessories/products/penguin-modular-organizer-pouch

Anyone remember the pocket holsters from DeSantis? It had a nice stiff non-slip backer that kinda helps spread the weight of the pistol across the width of the front pocket. I think that is what we need to be able hold stuff without the pocket sagging or the backer tilting to one side. That backer was kinda cut to fit the shape of most pants pockets. I carried a Ruger LCP in it before and it was excellent.

Unfortunately my friend most product companies pay very little attention to the other products or accessories required for their main product/s. I've bought rifles from SALIENT Arms which cost me $$$$ and I was appalled when I opened the box. The so-called cases it came with will never last an outing or two to the range. There was absolutely no protection for those rifles. But that's the mindset I have had to deal with when they come calling asking for help with gun rugs or pistol cases, etc. I have done accessories for SIG (range bags), Ruger, S&W Performance Center, Wilson Combat and the list goes on. The only one company that wanted the quality to match their firearm was the Performance Center. Now this was at least 10-12 years ago so hopefully things have changed for the rest.

You hit the nail on it's head! ;)

17. RED-FIVE

RED-FIVE Loaded Pockets

Great thread @HELM and thanks for the invite ... I'll post a reply when I can gather my thoughts. Btw ... I dig this kinda stuff!!
    RF

HELM likes this.
  18. PragmaticMurphyist

PragmaticMurphyist Loaded Pockets

Thanks for tagging me in! (Not sure why - my experience isn't extensive - but happy to contribute where I can.)

I have a Maxped Fatty that serves as a general running repairs pouch. For me it's the right size for this purpose and I like the internal side loop, which is good for a little cordage. The "hidden" zip compartment is also useful as a cash cache. However, I like the look of the internal design of Vanquest's pouches more - the lower row of loops looks like a very good use of space, and I know the staggered offset rows are a better approach than Maxped's way of putting loops directly on top of other loops.

I have a Maxped FR1, but we didn't get on! A lot of space was wasted as, when a large bandage was put under a lower loop, the upper loop was then pretty much unusable. I've switched to a Vanquest Fatpack 5x8 gen 2 and am delighted with it - the way it fillets completely open in one pull, the hi-vis lining, the staggered elastic loops, and the shock cord ladder all work very well for me. The external TQ and shears storage (with hook & loop retainers) are also great. The front pocket is nigh-on worthless, but you can't have everything!

My top request (as a non-molle person) would be either a belt loop stitched at the top and either velcro'd or snap closed at the bottom, or a decent belt clip. Either way the pouch could be put on and off the belt without unbuckling the belt.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

HELM likes this.
  19. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

The surgeon released me to go back to work today - I was off 6 weeks. Just something I let get way out of hand, but then again I'm a healthcare professional...I don't practice what I preach! It's going to be a while before I'm back to 100%, but I'm getting closer by the day.

I like the looks of the Penguin pouches. They might be just what I'm after. I think I'll give them a try. Thanks for the heads up on them!

Like the others have said, I'm anxious to see the products that come out of your collaboration with the new start up.

HELM likes this.
  20. HELM
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer

HELM Loaded Pockets

Well I wish you a speedy recovery mate. Btw if you are thinking abt getting the SB pouches, hang tight. Let me see if I can get you a discount code from them.

twin63 likes this.