1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Time to end the debate once and for all.

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by T.H.Cone, Jul 27, 2013.

1. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

Well, not really, since there isn't a single, one size fits all answer, but, still, it should make for a lively discussion.

So, which camp are you in? Many moderately priced lights, or a few high end units?

BTW, this was prompted by a thread elsewhere, parts of which I excerpted so you could get a sense of where I am coming from.

My whole collection is laid out in post nine. I did some quick math and I figure I am somewhere south of 2k including various drop ins and whatnot. Eighty lights for 2k, costing an average of $25.

If they were all only Surefires, at an average of $200 a pop, I'd only have ten lights. And since I think the international rule for flashlight collecting requires twelve to have an official collection...

Anyway, if I had eighty Surefires at an average price of $200, I'd be out 16k.:eek: And we've all seen the flashlight :censored: over at CPF and know that more than a few people have that many.

Now, I have to ask, who's having more enjoyment when value is considered?

2. boyo17

boyo17 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Don't be so cocksure

3. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

At this point, I am below the collection criteria... and will most likely be for awhile(ever).

Be that as it may.... unless you there's:
    1. a whole lot of Nyogel :eek: or
    2. locked (closest) doors and disco balls
    involved... I am not sure enjoyment is always the applicable word.

Mostly lights keep me from
    1. surprise encounters with nighttime wildlife.
    2. walking into walls
    3. stubbing toes
    4. stepping on the cat
    5. getting hit by cars.
    ATB,
    Sam

snowkiwi likes this.
  4. sbakker
    • In Omnia Paratus

sbakker Loaded Pockets

Honestly, I'd like a mix of each. I like this stuff too much to refrain from buying all the neat shiny little things that catch my eye, but a few grail pieces are always great. Unfortunately my grail pieces don't tend to see a lot of use.

whoozle and Shur like this.
  5. CSM-101
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

CSM-101 EDC Junkie!!!!!

I'd say multiple lower priced lights. Now don't get me wrong, I LOVE Surefire... I've got five plus a weaponlight for my shotgun. And I just bought a Sunwayman M11R Ti which is a beautiful light. But I've got 19 Streamlights of various sizes and I love all of them.

There's always a problem with the "name" brands... in that you're paying a lot just for the name, and not really getting anything more in quality. For example, I've got a Honda Shadow and a Suzuki C50... I can have BOTH of these motorcycles for the same price as ONE Harley. And they are both bulletproof and get better gas mileage to boot.

And by the way I agree 100% in that I'm not buying lights as a investment... when I buy something it's for LIFE.

6. keith1234
    • In Omnia Paratus

keith1234 Loaded Pockets

I have 67 lights in my collection ranging from Energizer Rayovac Mag to Fenix, Foursevens and Surefire I don't want to think about the cost. My daily carry light is usually a Fenix PD22 it does what I need it to do however I wouldn't abuse it. On the other hand now I know a Mag will stand up to being abused ( used as a hammer) and even my Surefire 6PX Pro used it to free a drill bit that got stuck while drilling holes in my car's exhaust brackets, didn't even scratch the light. I wouldn't think of doing that with a Fenix or Foursevens light. When I know I need a tough light I go to my Surefires and use the Fenix as backups. No I don't use my lights as hammers all of the time just when I'm out of reach of a real hammer and I have a substitute in hand already. Mind you that I only used Mags and energizer and Rayovac lights before joining this forum those lights always did what you asked light up what you needed even though they were relatively cheap lights.

Last edited by keith1234, Jul 27, 2013
  7. persco

persco Loaded Pockets

8. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

9. Random Dan

Random Dan Loaded Pockets

I like each of my lights to have a specific purpose, and as such I wouldn't have use for more than around 10. 3 or so EDC sized lights, a bedside light, a truck light, a couple general use camping lights, and a long-distance thrower is about all I'd want. I'd prefer them to all be higher quality (Surefire, Malkoff, HDS, Elzetta, Armytek).

10. Sarky

Sarky Loaded Pockets

If I had to choose, I'd just have a few decent lights. In reality I have a few decent ones and some budget ones.

11. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

Can we have a new category? Last night Mrs Plumbah said "you can never have enough flashlights"...

I tool this as her granting permission for me to fund my purchasing all of the lights!

warchild, schlieb, defuse kit and 2 others like this.
  12. Flash Owl

Flash Owl Loaded Pockets

since i was quoted, and maybe part of the reason why you started this thread... i guess im up.
    in response to your reply... why not just get some maglites for around the house use? theyre much less expensive, simple enough that young children and elderly can easily use, and does the job fine. why spend $50+ on lights for around the house?

i didnt start out buying surefires, it took me awhile before swallowing the higher price for less lumens. but after failures, finicky and inconsistent lights, which was quite embarrassing in front of co-workers, since $70 for a flashlight is still quite a bit of cash. I needed something that could take a licking and keep on ticking. a flashlight is my primary work tool, and i would not be able to properly do my job without it. although the necessity of my light compared to a LEO or military personal isnt as critical, my livelihood is still on the line.

during my usage, i have cracked lens, fried emitters, worn through rubber switch boots in a few months, broke switches, clips etc. im not saying none of these dont happen to surefire, because working in maintenance, i firmly believe that everything man-made will fail eventually...
    with surefires, many of the things i mentioned can easily be fixed. i also carry a backup/secondary light. ive depleted batteries on the job before, or loaned lights out (its hard to tell my manager to get his own light if he asks to borrow mine).:rolleyes:

anybody in my family and close friends are welcomed to grab any of my lights to use, that is another reason why i appreciate the simplicity of surefires, i feel confident that they can easily make use of my lights, and im not worried about them breaking it, or overheating them.
    of course, i do have a couple of lights i dont leave out in plain sight for everybody to use.

im not saying everybody should be buying surefires, it really depends on your usage. but dont be so narrow minded to think that your way is the only logical, and correct way to go about it. some people arent just using their lights for around the house.

i prefer a few higher end as opposed to many moderately price lights. but i spend on average of about $100 a light, which isnt high end to me.
    at one point had about 20 lights consisting of many brands, i felt i had more than i can use, and sold many until i only had 6 remaining. i than felt underpowered. now i have about 12 lights, most consists of surefires, and i never get an urge to spend on more lights.
    thats also my personality. i dont care to have lots of material possessions. ive throw away lots of stuff cause i was constantly moving around, and now i think everything i own can all fit into my car... except for my bed.

THcone: if value is such a concern to you... how come you dont sell some items? that money can be used for other purchases so you dont have to charge it on your card. or recoup some of the money used, and maybe buy something nice for the mrs?

vinniec5 likes this.
  13. Sarky

Sarky Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

14. kertap75

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

I'm in the category of "my spending oversight chairperson doesn't understand that there is a difference in flashlights"
    Therefore I don't need a new $100 flashlight, I just got a new $1 flashlight last week
    Remember, big brother is watching

15. JustinJ
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

JustinJ Loaded Pockets

i would say it depends on why you're buying them. if you're buying for collectibility/resale-value then you're going to want the spendier/custom/fancier stuff that the cheap lights will be imitating for many years to come. if you're buying for personal use/enjoyment with no plans to resell, get whatever you like that is within your means.

I personally prefer a few moderately priced lights so i can stash them different places and always have one handy.

16. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

:eek:

ATB,
    Sam

SAKplumber likes this.
  17. dewildeman

dewildeman Loaded Pockets

Is my 20 year old Surefire 6P really worth more than I paid for it? Even is it is, I wouldn't sell it. I expect it will last another 20. My "collection" at this point is the 6P, another newer 6P w/clicky, a Foursevens Quark, a Solarforce L2 and various and sundry others, mostly keychain and button LEDs.

18. T.H.Cone

You are making an awful lot of assumptions about my intentions concerning this thread and my life, Flash Owl.

While the philosophy behind this post is something I think about and have posted on numerous times before, our recent conversation did spur this thread. But this is forum, so I'm pretty sure we ought to be talking about topics such as this. Any Maglites I own are in a big Pelican case because they haven't been used since the day my first Surefire showed up over a decade ago. We mostly use multi mode P60s or various Olight i series lights here at Casa de Cone. My wife and sons are plenty competent enough to use a light slightly more complicated than a Maglite.

As for my narrow-mindedness, well the first sentence in this thread seems to suggest that I am aware that we all see things differently. Sure, I did say at the end of the quote I quoted of myself, "Only I can be right", but, as a long time member of this forum, surely you realize that that wasn't meant to be serious. In fact, I'm almost never serious when I engage in hyperbole or comedic puffery.

Also, I literally have a light on my person every waking moment. The lights are use outside of the home. You are not the only person who needs illumination at work.

As for T.H. and material possessions... despite a ridiculous, and mostly budget, flashlight collection, and an even more ridiculous knife problem, I'm a very modest guy. Some would even say I'm down right cheap most of the time. I own a very modest house (SAKp was seen it on Google maps and knows this to be true), I commute in a little pink Toyota Tacoma that I bought new in '03 and will continue to drive until it is time for it to become a chicken coop. It has a cracked windshield and a big dent in the door. I last washed it in '09. If you saw me on the street you'd think I was homeless. In fact I wear the same two pairs of bib overalls until they are totally shot, then get two more. The Cone family shares one I-Mac, we have no cell phones, one TV, zero consumer debt- I'm sort of a devote of Dave Ramsey's in that regard. I certainly don't buy gear with borrowed money.

True, I'm certainly not about to sell anything I paid good money for, but don't worry 'bout poor old Mrs. Cone. I bury myself a little everyday so that she can stay at home with our children and, besides having to use a SAK can opener and mow the lawn, she lives a pretty nice life- like the redneck princess she always dreamed she would be.

And Flash Owl, "value" is an important consideration to most everybody. It's just that when you and I do the math, we get different answers because we weigh the different variables differently.

We certainly are not going to agree on this, but I appreciate your views, enjoy hearing them, and have fun debating the relative worth/value/quality of any given flashlight. I hope we are still pals.

Mrs. Cone- His truck is actually maroon, but he hates the color, so he calls her "little pink". I mow the lawn because I don't want him messing it up and I truly prefer the SAK can opener. Oh, and he is one cheap :censored:, but the joke is on him because I handle all the money.

Last edited by T.H.Cone, Jul 27, 2013
    SAKplumber and Mumbojumboo like this.
  19. T.H.Cone

Apparently you can trade it for a condo in FL.:p

20. cmo
    • In Omnia Paratus

cmo Loaded Pockets

I like a few moderately priced lights. CR123 are just at the upper size limit I like to edc. AA light is my mainstay during the work week and AAA light takes over for the weekend when I may not need it, but can't stand the thought of being out in the world without a light.