1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Time for a new knife. Need some suggestions.

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Justinp, Feb 19, 2018.

1. Justinp

Justinp Loaded Pockets

Hey all. I’ve been carrying my Manix 2 LW for a year. I love it but now I have the new knife itch. I’ve had plenty of knives but never anything from Benchmade. So after countless YouTube videos and forums, I think I have it narrowed down to two blades. The 940(or940-2) or the griptilian. I like the look of them and the customization options are nice too. The LW Manix gives you zero room to modify. Then I got to thinking that perhaps there’s a knife I haven’t heard of before so I thought I’d ask for some recommendations for a knife around the same price as the 940. Let’s say 200 absolute tops. It must be a folder for edc and must have a pocket clip. Thanks in advance and pictures are always welcome!

2. hd-bagger

hd-bagger Loaded Pockets

I’ve wasted hundreds of dollars buying knives. If I had it to do all over again, I’d buy the original green 940 and a CLA. Those are the only 2 that I care to carry anymore. Skip the 940-2, it doesn’t feel as solid in hand as the original. Actually the 940 is going to end up taking over my pocket. Just my 2 cents.

Justinp likes this.
  3. SOS24

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

I really like the Benchmade 490, although if you are looking customization opportunities, it doesn’t have any.

4. el_murdoque

el_murdoque Loaded Pockets

The German 'Custom Scales Division' offers scales for both the Griptilian and the Manix 2.
    If you want something beyond off the shelf, it's worth checking out their website: www.cuscadi.de

Moshe ben David likes this.
  5. MyNamesMeToo

MyNamesMeToo Loaded Pockets

I love my 940s. Have a few. From OEM to OEM+ to barely any benchmade left. I got custom scales from deathofallthings / death grip scales and even picked up some damascus blades and titanium hardware.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

6. Jdjernigan

Jdjernigan Loaded Pockets

I haven’t owned a 940 but they have a really good reputation from what I read on the forums. Having said that I do own two Grip’s and I have no hesitation in recommending that knife. I don’t think you will regret either purchasing decision.

Actually you could do a lot to modify the Grip with your budget. My grips I picked up used on eBay for like $60 or less. You could get one and order some replacement grips and pocket clip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Shuutr

Shuutr Loaded Pockets

I’ve owned a couple 940s and a dozen Griptilians. Both are great. The 940 disappears in pocket and the grip does not. You can also get custom scales for a grip from applied weapons tech and many other sites.

As for other options: I switched to Kizer. The Gemini and Guru are perfect EDC blades with ball bearing pivots so smooth as butter.

8. Shuutr

Shuutr Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

These are all Kizers. All pretty good. I forgot about the Envoy. It’s mini grip sized.

I still have two mini grips. A 940 (the Splinter bottom left is about the same size) . A sage. And a handful of other knives, but these get the most carry. Not the fixed blades so much but the others get rotated.

Clip side

[​IMG]

9. MedusaOblongata

MedusaOblongata Loaded Pockets

The 94X is a great knife. Fits well in the hand, disappears in the pocket. Personally, I prefer the clip point blade to the reverse tanto, and I prefer AL or CF scales to G-10, but those details are personal preference. I've had my 941D2CF for over 12 years, and while I've bought and sold a lot of knives in that time, I still like and carry it, which is definitely saying something.

The FRN Griptillian scales feel cheap to me, but lots of guys like them anyway.

My vote definitely goes to the 94X, unless you can find a 710 somewhere, which is another one of the finest knives ever made.

10. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I've a Mini-Grip and so I'll back it up. I also have several Kizer knives and I too find them to be great designs and builds. Well worth including in the consideration!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David