1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Time for a messenger bag

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Thisonelife, Jun 23, 2013.

1. Thisonelife

Thisonelife Empty Pockets

My current EDC is a Dakine backpack and he zipper on the main compartment is failing and so it is time for. New bag. I've been wanting to get a messenger bag for awhile and also want CCW and think a messenger or sling would be better. I found one that I think would be awesome but have not seen any EDC reviews on it

http://www.bedstu.com/hawkeye

Love the looks of this bag and appears to be exactly what I am looking for, though, like I said, no EDC review. Te strap looks a little uncomfortable and maybe not attached real well. Any comments would be great!

A little background, I carry a MacBook Pro 15" everyday, CCW, no chords as they stay on my desk at work and home so the Mac is always charged, typical EDC emergency gear (folding knife, fixed blade knife, trauma kit, basic first aid kit, fire starting kit, water and a north face jacket.

2. Sriracha

Sriracha Loaded Pockets

Timbuk2 custom messenger. My fave by far!

VonDutch68 and riot like this.
  3. Stonerman33
    • In Omnia Paratus

Stonerman33 Loaded Pockets

The timbuk2 bags with the "napoleon pocket" look like they might be ccw friendly for a smaller pistol. I've never handled one, however, so its just a guess. I love the look and feel of canvas bags, but I've never had one that holds up to my moderate abuse for more than a year or two.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

4. CEB12345

CEB12345 Loaded Pockets

I started using a Tom Bihn Ego messenger bag a few months ago. Love it.

SAKplumber and mbakes like this.
  5. Tom Slick

Tom Slick Empty Pockets

I'm also thinking of going to a messenger bag in place of my Camelbak Urban Assault.

I think I've narrowed it down to a Timbuk2 D-Lux or a 5.11 Rush Delivery. Sort of leaning more towards the Rush since I've had a chance to handle it and I liked its size, build, organization and appearance.

6. 95yjinpa
    • In Omnia Paratus

95yjinpa Loaded Pockets

What about this?

7. thekapow

thekapow EDC Junkie!!!!!

I am extremely happy with my 5.11 rush messenger :) highly recomended!

8. zebedee
    • In Omnia Paratus

zebedee Loaded Pockets

I alternate between a custom Timbuk2 and a 5.11 messenger bags. Both have good and bad points. An ideal one would be a love child of the two. :D

9. Municipal_Jedi

Municipal_Jedi Loaded Pockets

For messenger bags I don't believe there is any better than Bailey Works. I have an XS Timbuk2 and it is a good bag but but if Bailey Works made a 400-600 cubic inch size I would have gone that direction. They are US made same as Timbuk and I think they have a nicer set of features. YMMV

10. fresh eddie fresh
    • In Omnia Paratus

fresh eddie fresh Loaded Pockets

I love Bailey Works. I have a small I use back and forth to work and a large that is really too big for most tasks, except grocery shopping and whatnot.

The bag above looks like it might suit your needs, the only thing I could think of that might give you trouble is if you are carrying smaller, heavier items in there, it might sag in the middle when it is being worn hanging off of one shoulder. Your iPad might be the only thing in it that would provide any sort of structure, but the same might be true for a lot of messenger bags that do not have some sort of padding or framesheet built in.

11. Thisonelife

I t
    thought the bag looked great too but I was concerned with exactly what you said about canvas not standing up to abuse and I am pretty rough on them. Thanks for the reply.

12. Thisonelife

Thanks to all that gave great advice and recommendations. I checked out each of the recommendations and was impressed with most of them. I actually ended up purchasing a Hazard 4 defense carrier since it was the exact style I want and H4 products got great reviews on this site. I'll post pics when it comes in and a review to follow since I couldn't find one for that specific bag. Thanks again all.

EEG1 likes this.
  13. tigz

tigz Loaded Pockets

Defense courier you mean. It's not as compact as the rush messenger, good for the field but can be hard to maneuver in a packed subway car.

14. Zebulon

Zebulon Loaded Pockets

That's where's the diagonal defense courier shines. It sirs high and tucks tight to your back, but so it rides more like a backpack, but retains the access of a messenger bag.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk 2

15. do15

do15 Empty Pockets

• Hot-linked image removed per Rule 3b
    Expensive, but looks like my dream bag and I couldn't resist, even though in Canuckistan even a major political connection would not secure a CCW permit :cry:

You can find it at http://javran.com/products/shoulder-bags/wingman-messenger-bag

Jan has his forum at another popular site. I will do a review when I receive it.

[​IMG]

16. riot

riot Loaded Pockets

My Timbuk2 custom has Molle webbing on the inside. I was able to attach a Maxpedition holster to the inside for my pistol.

Sent from my HTC Droid DNA using Tapatalk 4 Beta

17. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

I may be alone in my thinking and that's OK, but something I've learned is to buy products from a company that specializes in what I'm looking for. Bags are a prime example of that. I'm of the opinion that purchasing a bag made by a company that specializes in said product as they tend to produce a better thought out and manufactured product than a company that sales something as a fashion accessory.

There are a lot of companies out there that specialize in messenger bags, such as Timbuk2, Chrome, Tom Bihn, Mission Bags to name a few. Everyone wants the most bang for their buck because, let's face it, money doesn't come so easy. When you lay down that hard earned cash you want to know you're getting the most for your money.

Anyway, just my two cents. Oh, and my bags alternate between a Swiss Army Big Ben backpack, TAD Fastpack EDC, and a RedOxx CPA Briefcase, which is like a messenger bag sans the flap. I use the RedOxx most days unless I'm traveling, then I switch to the backpack.

18. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

I will be doing a review on Rickshaw's Commute messenger. Very EDC friendly.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

19. Thisonelife

I love that bag! Can't wait to see what you have to say about it in your review.

20. Thisonelife

Finally got my bag from amazon the other day and love it. Almost wishing I would've gotten the diagonal bag but we'll see over time. S far it does everything exactly what I wanted in a messenger bag. Planning a few customizations like a compression system on the bottom for a light jacket, expanding the bottle holder on the inside and more Velcro inside as well. I'll post a thorough review and pics in a couple of weeks after I have and a little time to refine my EDC and how I Cary it in this bag. Tank you all for input, love every comment and piece of advice.