1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Timbuk2 small messenger or Tom Bihn Cafe medium

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by gadgetjack, Jun 2, 2015.

1. gadgetjack

gadgetjack Loaded Pockets

I need a smallish EDC bag to carry my essentials: wallet, keys, pens, phone charger, headphones, and a file folder. I have a RUSH 12 but it weighs a lot with all of the pockets full of little used stuff but does not transport a file folder well. The 12 is great for the weekends and as a truck buddy but is more than I need day to day. I like the look of the Tom Bihn medium Cafe and the Timbuk2 small Classic Messenger. I see a lot of love for Tom Bihn but will it be big enough to handle a file folder or iPad size device?

2. Dany

Dany Loaded Pockets

Have a look at the Hazard-4-Kato - there are some awesome reviews of it here in the forum! It certainy fit's the Ipad, but I don't know about the file-folder.

3. tigz

tigz Loaded Pockets

Can't beat Timbuk2 in terms of price, quality and looks and their bags have a range of sizes. I find Tom Binh pricey and geared for business attire people who doesn't want leather cases. Forget the Kato, I have one and its not meant for folders. For the H4 line its the Sherman for small messengers then upsize to the MOD and Defense Courier.

4. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

The Cafe bag is more vertical than horizontal - depending on the file folder, that may be a consideration.

The small Timbuk2 is still pretty big, but it'll definitely carry an 8.5 x 11 file folder. I have the XS and will try it tonight, just for giggles.

reppans likes this.
  5. Municipal_Jedi

Municipal_Jedi Loaded Pockets

I have had Timbuk2 and Tom Bihn and both are great. The Cafe Bag is my current EDC but I use a large due to the amount I carry. I believe that the medium would carry an iPad, file folder and the other things you are wanting to carry. However, I believe you would be close to capacity. I prefer the vertical and the way the Cafe Bag sits compared to the Timbuk2. I find the Timbuk2 doesn't collapse well and remains bulky when empty bit there is a place for them.

6. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

Have a look at Patagonia's Minimass/Blackhole Mini Messenger, it's right in between TB2 XS and S sizes and will take 8.5x11 folders (not 8.5x14 though). I converted over from a TB2 XS for iPad & EDC carry - it has compression straps to take up excess volume, better internal organization, and I really like the versatility of its soft strap which can be double-wide for comfort, rigged as backpack, and hidden for a briefcase mode.

7. cowsmilk

cowsmilk EDC Junkie!!!!!

I would second reppans remarks about the Patagonia minimass: a great all around bag.

8. gadgetjack

gadgetjack Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the input. I agree with you Municipal_Jedi that the Timbuks 2 stays bulky even when empty. I will also check out the Patagonia minimass, it looks interesting. The Hazard-4-Kato is too military looking for my new workplace but it is on my list for field work.

9. cowsmilk

cowsmilk EDC Junkie!!!!!

Here is a link to the minimass I owned with some pictures as well. Follow the thread a little ways to find some common items stuffed into it to judge the size for yourself.

10. Whiteswoodworks

Whiteswoodworks Loaded Pockets

I have the small timbuk2 classic. It holds an 8 by 11 notebook perfectly, but a file folder sticks up a little bit and the flap can sometimes bend it over if you don't have too much in the bag.