1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Tiiiiny cheap backup phone?

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by BlackM, Sep 13, 2015.

1. Quinby

Quinby Loaded Pockets

I don't have the details, but a company did a Indegogo campaign for a credit card sized phone.

I think it was an Australian company.

Last edited by Quinby, Oct 2, 2015
  2. Omega Man
    • In Omnia Paratus

Omega Man Loaded Pockets

I have a great collection of old "basic" phones of all styles, I have one of every carrier except for Boost Mobile,Alcatell, and Criket I think. I have sliders, candybars, flips, touch screens... I buy them at yard sales and flea markets for .50 to $2 at the most. I also make sure every one of them has a working charger, regardless of how old, bulky or antiquated the phones or chargers are. I mean I have OLD ones, post-suitcase-style ones that look like armored cordless handsets(those being Sprints).
    The Nokias WILL hold charges for months, I drag them out and power them up occasionally to see.
    PM sent, Black M.

Ben Rubinstein likes this.
  3. DennisM

DennisM Loaded Pockets

There was also a Kickstarter campaign for such a "credit card sized" phone, last year. I think the company is now in regular production, as talkase.com.

4. Knifestyle

Knifestyle Loaded Pockets

My car has an extra charging outlet in the console for some obscure reason, so I keep an old flip phone charging in there all the time without a sim-card in case I need a 911 call without access to my phone. As for one small enough to carry, the Spareone is ideal but overbuilt and pricey compared to the Tracfone options. Would a tracfone work without a Sim for 911 usage?

5. ngc604

ngc604 Loaded Pockets

fasttech.*om/products/1/10014742/3637000-h-mobile-x550-2-4-gsm-feature-phone-32mb

I watch this company everyday for new things related to vaping and I stumbled upon this. Seems right up our alley. Especially since the battery can be used as a power bank. Doesn't quite meet your "tiiiiny" requirement but it does meet the cheap requirement and being multi purpose is always nice. Should run on tmo and att based networks.

That site has a bunch of phones at pretty cheap prices. Bunch of unknown brands and will have at least 2 week ship times since they come from china. Also a great place to get vaping stuff if you are a vaper.

***I am in no way affiliated with fasttech nor do i gain anything from your purchase from this chinese based company***

6. Ben Rubinstein

Keep in mind also that the Nokia batteries are about $5 on ebay and will hold a charge for months. Recently tried an older one which had been sitting in a drawer for 6 months. Showed up as full. Going on holiday soon, not bothering with a charger for my Nokia, just two spare batteries and even that is too many.

7. james.lee

james.lee Loaded Pockets

i have a cheap track phone that bough before i went to summer camp 2 years ago i used i a lot then and when I'm in the woods so i have service time for the next 3 years i keep it in a ziplock bag in a back pack with the battery removed it lasts forever almost and if i don't use it the time doesn't go down btw the phone was $4 at Fread Myres though it was on sale its usually $10 its an Lg track phone just google it and buy the cheapest one

8. Guarddog
    • In Omnia Paratus

Guarddog EDC Junkie !!!!!

First let me say I am new to Prepaid Phones . . .

Do you have Unlimited (any) TXT messaging included with a plan like this?

1. Does TracFone still have a triple minutes for life phone/option?
    2. I assume that means that every time you load minutes you get triple the minutes for the same price?
    3. Is TXT messaging included with this plan/option?
    4. Does TracFone use Verizon towers/network?

Thanks,
    Guarddog

9. Burncycle

Burncycle Loaded Pockets

Wally world sells a care-f watch phone oriented towards kids. I wanted to get one and remove the bands (I wouldn't wear it on my wrist) because it would be about the perfect size for the watch pocket on a pair of jeans, but I'm not sure if the bands come off. Takes a sim-card and is a stand alone phone.

You can also find a bunch of "watch phones" from china for cheap on amazon and ebay, find one you can take the bands off of and you end up with a really tiny phone. You'll still need a sim card and service though.

Depends on which phone you buy. Some tracfones / net10 phones use ATT, some use Verizon. If you look on the front of the box at the lower left or right corner, it'll say either GSM (ATT) or CDMA (Verizon

Guarddog likes this.
  10. james.lee

james.lee Loaded Pockets

1. I have never seen one with triple min i have one with double though.
    2. yes but double
    3. yes but it costs 30seconds per txt also the cheap ones suck for texting
    4. i have no clue but i have one and it can get reception where my friends iPhone cant

Guarddog likes this.
  11. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

I have a few Nokia phones that I use as backup. The phones are bullet proof, will run plugged in with no battery and a charged battery takes a few months to die. Any good phone with a sim card should do, you can always use the sim of a trashed phone easily.

[​IMG]

Lellobeetle and Guarddog like this.
  12. masofnos

masofnos EDC Junkie!!!

If only the zoolander phone was real...

adnj and Bowman1911 like this.
  13. pantagana23

pantagana23 Loaded Pockets

Well, I think we can close this thread now:
    [​IMG]
    If this little f***er can live up to its predecessor, the ultimate backup phone is here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lellobeetle and Moshe ben David like this.
  14. deadringer

deadringer Empty Pockets

15. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • Sponsor - Home Craftsman
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

I backed the Talkase and it was garbage.

16. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Reminds me of a very old SNL skit from the early days of cell phones. Don't recall who did it, but he was impersonating
    a totally hipster type from Berlin; using a small folding phone smaller than his finger... Funny at the time.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

17. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Backup nothing. I'd replace my current folding phone with this. Less moving parts is great! Thing is, this is probably a bit bulkier. I remember the Nokia from the day.... fondly!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

18. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

I thought my wife was going to give me a smart phone (her account) put replaced my Motorola flip phone with a 3G DORO flip phone. small.

19. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

I purchased a couple of SpareOne phones from Target in clearance for $1.98 which needs a $25 Go Phone card for active service other than 911. The phone uses AA batteries and is designed to be stored for emergencies.

My son had dissembled one phone for educational purposes.

#39 garza, Mar 1, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
    Lellobeetle likes this.