1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Tight Clothing vs. Loose but more room.

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by jegrundh, Jan 6, 2010.

1. jegrundh

jegrundh Loaded Pockets

Hey everyone, so normally i wear reasonably tight fitting clothing for a few reasons. First off and probably the lamest reason is because i think it looks good and its the first time i've been able to wear such thin clothing (I'm an adult small tee and wear skinny straight levi's). Secondly I believe it's smart to wear close fitting clothing because it's harder to be caught by someone and less likely to snag yourself on someone. Also I think it's somewhat of a more classy look. However, there are problems with closefitting clothing, I can't fit a ton in my pockets and certain loads tend to be uncomfortable when sitting. Also It will become a problem if i want to holster carry a CCW in a few months. Right now i DO occasionally EDC my jumbo, but i don't want to have to take that with me everywhere. I am working on cutting down my key chain, and am thinking about belt carrying my phone and perhaps flashlight and knife which would ultimately free myself up and leave things comfortable.... But i was wondering if you guys had any ideas on alternate forms of carry, especially in regards to CCW and how to remain reasonably fashionable while EDCing a good amount of gear without sticking out like a sore thumb.

Thanks a bunch guys, and stay frosty.

2. shrap

shrap Loaded Pockets

There's nothing "lame" about looking good. But you will have to carry less, and be very selective about your gear.

A light jacket can easily hold a phone and some garb. Instead of a Maxped Jumbo, maybe you can get something smaller and more stylish like a leather musette or map case? For tiny things you don't want in your pockets, maybe pockets on the wrist or shoes like runners?

3. jegrundh

jegrundh Loaded Pockets

yeah, i am going to cut down on gear. I don't mind the jumbo, it's stylish enough for me because its in black and i like it because it has a good mix of organization and size. I'm not looking to be uber classy, but i also don't want to look like i just jumped out of a helicopter/swat van and am ready to take someone down. What my real concern is for is once i have a CCW (which i will have because i am going into the force). Again, for the year that im on the force idc how i look off job, and even after college idc how i will look that much off job. I figure by then looking good won't be super important because i won't really be out and about like i am in college. For the coming semester though and for the ensuing 3 years i guess i will just have to try and limit gear / find a way to make it work? again a belt pouch for the phone along with the fenix pouch (slightly modded) which came with the flashlight will help. Although I'm sure i'll catch crap for it from all the artsy people that live in my suite as it is (they think its unnecessary to have a knife on you, much less a flashlight). But again, that's ok methinks if i am comfortable haha, and they'll get used to it :D

4. solocanoe

solocanoe Empty Pockets

well, the CCW is definitely going to be your biggest challenge.all other EDC prob. will be ok, (light, knife, etc) but the gun could be an issue.

My wife is 5'2 and about 110 pounds...ankle rig? maybe...but she'd never wear it. she'd be a purse carry, but she carries a Taser C-2- clipped to top of her purse, always. You may look at the smart carry - there are pics of women in tight pants / shorts all over the web wearing these...and it's an area no one looks at. :shocked:

a shorter / smaller gun would be best here, given how tight you like your pants. something like a NAA Guardian in .32 or .380 or Beretta bearcat/Tomcat in .22 or .32...something less than 4"-5" overall, it could ride "below the buckle, but above the stuff"...if you think that phrase thru, you'll get what I mean. :green:

I actually, in the past, have carried all the above guns in a smart carry for everything from dirtbike desert rides to 10 day canoe trips. Shorter guns work best for lots of sitting or tight pants. I have a Glock 23 that rides in a smart carry at night in my home now (backsleeper) but no way you can pull off a gun of that size in close pants - prob. not anywhere on your body.

you may look at back pocket carry, maybe - again, a small gun in a "wallet style holster"...lots of leather makers to choose from, again you need a shorter overall gun to make this work - a seecamp 32 or .380 or robaugh 9mm but these are more in $$ than the first two guns... :broke:

if you like tight shirts too...the Kramer Confident undercover shirt wouldn't help you...but if you were willing to wear a big looser shirt, it could. I own one, works ok for a back up gun - just don't think you are going to be drawing very fast from it....

as you progess thru / get closer to actually carrying....you may find your tastes changing a bit - so I wouldn't worry too much about it now.

5. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

You just have to decide if you are willing to go with mean & lean gear or be a walking tactical gear store.

Replace heavier gear with lighter gear of the same function. For instance, you could replace a Strider knife with an AL-scaled SAK or small slip-joint or a Surefire C2 with a Fenix LD01, etc. Par down unnecessary redundency and unnecessarily over-built items.

If you do carry on your belt, go for compact black leather holsters. Even if you have a cell phone holster already, quite a few people actually do carry two cell phones. A leather holster probably won't get a second look from most people.

You could always carry a stylish-looking attache case or messenger bag for your CCW. Perhaps use a Cocoon Grid-It to organize the bag.

6. straightpuke

straightpuke Loaded Pockets

I wear slim fitting clothes also and I carry everything on my body. I wear an adult small and Levi's 511 slim fit jeans. I usually don't carry a bag unless I'm at school so when I'm hanging out with friends, everything goes into the pockets.

Front left pocket: Surefire E2DL or E1B
    Front right pocket: Spyderco Tenacious or Police
    Back right pocket: wallet (with credit card tool)
    Back left pocket: cell phone

Since it's cold I wear a jacket and keep my keychain in the right pocket of the jacket and chapstick in the left. I have a Spyderco Ladybug, Utili-key, Photon light, and keys on my keychain.
    I have been wearing a little bit more loose clothes though and I don't see how there is more room. Sure the pockets have a little bit more room but I don't like the feeling of bulging pockets. I still carry what I've been carrying regardless of slim fit or not.

Also, when looking for jackets I like them with a lot of pockets or with deep pockets so I can carry more things comfortably.

7. patches152

patches152 Loaded Pockets

belt clips for most EDC gear, and a smaller sling style pack, or maybe get one of those maxped admin panels or the neat freak organizer, something like that. then you can stuff it in a jacket pocket, or inside a messenger bag.

my brother and his "hipster" friends all wear those skinny jeans, but to the extreme. among them messenger bags and backpacks are necessary for all of their trader joe's food and apple electronics and accessories. especially good for their REI lightweight fleeces and rain shells.

sorry, had to make a poke at 'em!

8. jegrundh

jegrundh Loaded Pockets

haha, i actually wear the exact ones straightpuke wears, slim straight, mispoke with the skinny :p

9. straightpuke

straightpuke Loaded Pockets

I'm used to carrying everything on my body. I don't carry a backpack that much outside of school unless I'm at a theme park or camping...I also keep a BOB in my car that has things I don't pocket carry.

10. Ghillieman7

Ghillieman7 Empty Pockets

As long as You don't mind Your shirt untucked, I have found a good paddle holster fits most any clothing I wear. From the sound of it, I dress much like Yourself. I like to wear an overshirt most of the time an usually carry my Glock 36 in a cross draw in front.
    Sometimes I carry it in my remora clone pack, but I prefer it to be actually ON my person.

I also agree with a small frame model. I carried a Kel-tec p11 for a long time, and it even had a pocket clip on the gun itself.
    I ditched this in favor of a holster eventually as I liked the added safety. :luck:

11. cupioarcanamundi

cupioarcanamundi Empty Pockets

Putting stuff on your belt is a good way to reduce pocket bulge; I carry my wallet, phone, and gerber on my belt and find it much easier to get at each while giving me more room in my pockets. Trying to avoid the bat belt look, I have refrained from putting more things on my belt than those three items, but if you don't mind things on your belt, that is an option. It sounds like this might not be what you are looking for, though. If you want to look good (and if you can get the look, go for it), then you need to make some sacrifices. During colder times, tossing things in your jacket is a good option; when I go dancing or otherwise don't want things in my pockets, a lot of my EDC goes into my jacket pockets if I trust it to be safe in coat check. As for what ends up in your pockets, try to arrange things so that they support each other and remain organized and flat in your pockets instead of stacking up and making a bulge. This works particularly well for longer objects like pens or knives, which in tight pants will sit nicely next to each other, organized and ready for use. Good luck and let us know if you come up with any cool solutions.

Stephen

12. tsacain

tsacain Loaded Pockets

What kind of wallet do you carry on your belt? Im imaging a billfold with a flap over the belt.

13. cupioarcanamundi

cupioarcanamundi Empty Pockets

I carry T.H.E. wallet which doesn't fit in my pockets (unless I am wearing something with cargo pockets) but wraps around my belt nicely. I imagine one could stick a bifold wallet on a belt (one fold on each side of the belt) but I am not sure if I would trust it to stay; the sharkbite closure on T.H.E. wallet ensures that it stays attached to me even if it moves around some.

Stephen