1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Tick Twister

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by iacchus, Mar 13, 2010.

1. iacchus

iacchus Loaded Pockets

I got to use this handy little implement last night for the first time. This morning, I tried to PM Chief -Yeah to thank him for bringing it to my attention in his treasure trove thread. Well, his pm inbox was full so I couldn't.
    This thread will have to serve as a way to communicate my thanks to him.

Heres a quick rundown:

I had never seen or heard of the Tick Twister before reading through Chief's Treasure Trove thread, but the video and cheap price sold me. I ordered one, and it sat on my dresser for several days.

Last night, I was on the couch with my dog Loki (he is a Siberian Husky) and noticed a tick on his neck. Tick Twister to the rescue!

I have rarely seen such a useful tool. I am stunned by how easy and well it worked. Tick removed completely in a matter of two seconds. No wound or two month scab, which usually results when hand removing or tweezer removing a tick because some small mouth parts I always leave under the skin.

I closely studied the removed tick. It was completely and totally intact.

I plan to tell my vet about it next visit. The twister now resides in my EDC bag so I will have it nearby if I need it.

Seriously, thank you for bringing this little tool to the forum's (and my) attention, Chief-Yeah.
    Loki sends his thanks as well!

2. marsos52

marsos52 Loaded Pockets

thanks for sharing ,, we live with woods on two sides of the property and our dog picks up ticks each and every time she is out to do her business.
    also many times the kids and wife and i find a tick on our person too. the ticks we get are as small as can be ,,,im hoping it will work as all as the video demos.. will be ordering soon

3. WhiteWolf

WhiteWolf Empty Pockets

The twisters are great, carry both sizes in my EDC bag on a daily basis.

WW

4. marsos52

marsos52 Loaded Pockets

yesterday we got our dog groomed and we asked if they carried them. and they didnt but told us the pet shop down the street did.
    went there and they had several similar ones and the owner showed us what he felt was the best. it looks like a pen but when you depress the tip
    a wire loop comes out and opens creating a lasso. you lasso the tick and let go of the depreesed tip and it holds the tick then you go around and around spinning the tick out.. same basic process

sold ... now waiting to try it

5. Krustofski

Krustofski Loaded Pockets

I don't really see the point in this tool. I mean, it's not like ticks have a screw thread. SOP for removal is to grap it on the cheliceres as low as possible, using splinter tweezers or a lenght of sewing thread, and pull straight out.
    Rotating a tick seems a good way to ensure ripping of the hypostome and leaving stuck in your skin. :shrug:
    Not that this would be dangerous or anything, but what is the advantage over a pair of fine tweezers?

6. Hoshnasi

Hoshnasi Empty Pockets

OP Said that when he normally uses tweezers it results in a wound and a two-week scab. Whereas, by twisting the tick comes out clean. I assume because ticks try and fight a vertical removal, by twisting tere it breaks it loose clean.

7. Krustofski

Yeah, sorry, I was a bit out of my mind. I've had different expieriences, but then again, the American deer tick is a different species than the European sheep tick, so...

8. Hoshnasi

Hoshnasi Empty Pockets

Living in Southern California I can't comment. However I've always "heard" from people that by giving a little burn the tick it'll come out? Or cover in Vaseline to stop it from breathing? Do those methods work to get them to come out?

9. iacchus

iacchus Loaded Pockets

From the tick twister site (and verified by my experience):

"The tick’s rostrum (the part that is embedded in the skin and improperly referred to as “the tick’s head”) is covered with backward pointing spikes that allow the tick to “anchor” in the skin.
    By pulling up on the tick, the spikes will rise and lock the rostrum in the skin. The tick may break leaving body parts resting in the skin and causing a painful inflammation, or an infection.
    By twisting, the spikes bend into the axis of rotation, and the tick is easily removed, without traction, decreasing the risks of breaking the rostrum."

There is a microscope close up of the "rostrum" on the site too. Looks to be as they describe it.

10. Krustofski

Since I've allready posted a dumb comment on this, I'm probably not the most reliable source, but:

HELL NO!

If you try to burn, choke, drown, or plastinate a live tick, it will probably vomit in the wound. Instant germ bolus.

11. iacchus

iacchus Loaded Pockets

+1. Burning is a bad idea (and a good way to hurt the dog or person). Choking and drowning is a bad idea for the reasons given above ( or so the vet has told me years ago when I asked).

12. Hoshnasi

Hoshnasi Empty Pockets

Sounds horrible, thanks for the info! :)

13. Hoshnasi

Hoshnasi Empty Pockets

Oh man, I went to one sites to get definitions on the terms you guys were using...

I went here and clicked on the "Animation of the compression of a tick" and I was greeted with what looked like a science video from my elementary school days backed up with stock :censored: mousic. Pretty awesome.

14. Stuart69

Stuart69 Empty Pockets

I've been using the twisters for a while now. My sisters a dog-groomer and recommended them to me. They work great with my black Lab and our UK ticks.

15. Krustofski

Hmmm, okay, if you all like that thing so much, I'll try to get ahold of one and eval it for my camping FAK.

16. Chuck Norris Light

Chuck Norris Light Loaded Pockets

This is the worst you can do.

17. kevinwho

kevinwho Loaded Pockets

I'm with chuck norris light on this one it'll cause the tick to get 'sick' back into the carrier.

The best way I've found is to rub the tick around in a circle quickly , After about 60 seconds it will withdraw itself so no danger of leaving a leg in & no tools required, although a rubber glove is advisable.

Here's a good page with a video: http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-remove-a-tick/

18. Haubitz

Haubitz Loaded Pockets

I’ve got two big and two small twisters. I’ve had them for about 3-4 years and they are the best tick removers I’ve ever had (and I’ve had quit a few)

19. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

I've never used a Tick Twister, but I have used a Tick Key successfully for dogs and people. I keep a few of them.