1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Ti vs. Stainless Keychain Tools

Discussion in 'Keychain Tools' started by Bolster, Nov 30, 2007.

1. Bolster

Bolster Loaded Pockets

Do you prefer premium stainless steels, or titanium, in your user (as opposed to collectable) keychain tools? Why do you prefer one metal over the other? Or perhaps it's better to ask: under what conditions do you prefer one over the other?

2. jay_imok

jay_imok Banned

my budget = stainless

3. Smith357

Smith357 Empty Pockets

Stainless, Titanium is far too soft for a working tool.

4. Bolster

Bolster Loaded Pockets

See, that's what I was thinking, too. Take a Mini Keyton. Weighs 1/2 oz, but hardened to RC 58 or so. To save a quarter ounce, do I really want one made of a softer metal? For example, I would never choose a Ti knife (unless I needed a non-magnetic option). Ti is usually hardened to what...the RC 40s?

I'm asking this question because I'm considering a Flat Ti Keyton or Flat Ti SpannerPryBaby. As a user, not collector, just wondering if these will do the work a stainless will do.

5. HoopleHead

HoopleHead Banned

agree on the knives, id skip any Ti knife unless you need the non-corrosive, non-magnetic, non-reactive aspect of it.

for really small things, the weight savings is not as great. but that does come into play as you move upwards. you can definitely notice the difference with the Ti handles of a sebbie for example. plus Ti is cool :)

my keyton and prybaby XL are both 154CM, and i love em. the prybaby is thick and fairly big, and it is pretty heavy considering. but still works for me.

6. Chux

Chux Loaded Pockets

Mostly stainless for me so far. The things I have for which I know there are Ti options are an Inka pen (Ti is far more expensive and I don't notice the weight of the steel one) and a mini Keyton. I have a flat Ti keyton in the post so we shall see how this compares ...

I figure if the weight doesn't bother me why go for Ti (other than cool anodised patterns and, well just general coolness), corrosion has not proven to be a problem for me even with carbon steels.

7. adimag

adimag Loaded Pockets

I have both a Ti miini keyton and a cmp154 keyton that are carried every day. However, I always end up using the steel keyton. The Ti is more for show than actual work.

8. NoName

NoName Loaded Pockets

I used to think that I'd always choose steel over titanium (especially since titanium tends to make stuff like watches feel cheap, due to the relative lack of heft and luster), but when I got my first titanium keychain item, I was sold.

Granted, the weight savings aren't critical for EDC applications (vs space missions), but whenever I hold a tooled piece of titanium in my hands, I can't help but marvel at how it weighs next to nothing. And when I think about how something that feels like that is actually as strong as steel, I well up with joy and it just makes me all warm and fuzzy.

Okok, I know. I need therapy.

(P.s. If you want solid-er titanium, try looking into aluminum titanium nitride (AlTiN) items. Very very nice.)