1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Thrunite customer service?

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by Evil D, Jun 26, 2018.

1. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

Well, I got this TC12 V2 a few months ago, carried it once only to have it come out of my pocket due to the pathetically weak clip design so I haven't carried it since. I tried bending the clip to make it tighter and it instantly snapped. So, I contacted Thrunite on 3/29 about buying a replacement clip and on 4/1 they said they'd ship me one, but I haven't heard anything since and haven't seen anything in the mail. I know they're in China but geez it's almost been 3 months now and I'm starting to really regret this purchase and look at other brands.

2. Swe_Nurse

Swe_Nurse Loaded Pockets

I can't say anything about Thrunite's customer service but what I can say is that you possibly got a bad clip. I carried my TC12 every day for three months straight last fall as well as the better part of two months earlier this year (because I was away from home and that what was I had) and it certainly was not weak in any way. On the contrary I find that the clip is kinda hard to clip back into the pocket.

That said I've never really heard much bad about their service, I would email them again and explain to them what happened. Its probably more likely it got lost in the mail than it's a problem with the company.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

3. flux

flux Loaded Pockets

my T10S clip poked through fabric once and when I jumped up it snapped off. I sent them an email with my serial number, received a kind answer and got 2 or 3 spare clips and screws from china in the mail free of charge. Very pleasant experience.

That being said, the clip has held up great ever since. Love my 3 year old T10stainless.

#3 flux, Jun 27, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
  4. Willy

Willy Loaded Pockets

Good experience here also, although I didn't follow through.
    I had a battery leak in my Ti3. I told them it was my fault (or actually Duracell's) and they were going to send a new light.
    I ended up cleaning it up several times and finally brought it back to life but it sounded like they would replace it free.
    I would contact them again.
    Good luck.

5. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

I expected the problem with these snap on clips to be popping off the light completely, but this one held on quite strongly. The problem is in the design of the clip itself, it's too narrow and the contact area beneath the clip where it hits the body of the light is way too small. So, narrow clip plus small contact patch equals very very small amount of friction holding the light in one place. I guess this is fine if you just need to clip the light in your front pocket, where the shape of the pocket is essentially a V and the light hangs down into the bottom of the V so it can't move around, but I carry my light in my back pocket and 1) it would not stay where I put it at all and slid around every time I moved and 2) the first time I got on the ground to get under a car to do my job it fell out of my pocket and rolled across the street.

By comparison my 10 year old Nitecore could be clipped to the bottom of a piece of fabric and hang upside down and it wouldn't budge. Overall this is just the weakest clipping clip I've ever dealt with, and I suspect I'll have similar experience with all of these new clip on clips, as it seems every company has moved over to these ball point pen sized clips for lights that are far too big and heavy for such small clips. I'll probably just make a leather sheath for it even though I really prefer having it clipped in my pocket. It seems that there are only a small selection of lights available with the features I want that have a stronger clip design, so I either choose the light/features I want and figure out another carry style or I compromise on features to get the clip I want.

6. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

Well it took almost 4 months but the replacement clip showed up in the mail today. I still think it's a horrible design but it's better than no clip at all. I guess slow response is better than no response, it did ship from Singapore after all and they did send two. I wonder if I can talk to some of the guys who make custom pocket knife clips and have them make me one?

steeps likes this.