1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Thoughts on using older gear

Discussion in 'Knives' started by geekandwife, Oct 29, 2014.

1. geekandwife

geekandwife Loaded Pockets

So I have been cleaning out old boxes and such, and came across M7 bayonet and a pal rh 36 knife. Knocked the rust off and sharpened both of them up and was thinking of making them use knives and then got to looking that they actually have some value associated with them as collector pieces. Not a lot mind you but more than I would ever pay to replace them if they broke.

So what do you all do. Do you keep knives from those era's as collector pieces or do you treat them as you would any other knife and use and abuse them?

I was going to make the M7 a bug out bag tool and put the pal rh 36 in my get home bag.

pathwinder14 likes this.
  2. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

I abuse and collect.. It's a personal preference.

3. MTFatboy
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

MTFatboy Loaded Pockets

I try to use my collection, but if I were to come across anything really valuable, I might keep it as found.

4. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

I agree with what our friends said, Geek.

It really all comes down to personal preference and the real value of the item is probably the biggest deciding factor. Your M7, for instance, was produced in such numbers that you'll never be able to sell it and retire, so if you can find a place for it in your systems where it be of some use, why not use it?

I also think that even if one had great grandpa's pocket knife, and it had real monetary value, one might still consider using it because of the sentimental connection to one's own personal history is probably more priceless than any amount of real money.

microbe likes this.
  5. M4Lki3r
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

M4Lki3r Loaded Pockets

Agree with above. I have an old Cattaraugus 225Q that was given to be me by a friend of the family, prior military and no sons. I've cleaned it up a bit, but still use it as a camping/bush knife. Been searching for something to do for a sheath as the original leather is in pretty bad shape.

Buckeye Jake likes this.
  6. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

Pretty much in the same boat. We're not talking about serving soup out of a Ming Dynasty vase, after all.

The only reservation I have is that the bayonet wasn't actually designed as a knife - mostly as a hard, pointed piece to stick holes in other people. By all means, toss it into a go bag if you like - but I suspect it won't be especially useful in any other capacity. A cheap knife would hold an edge better and a cheap crowbar from a discount hardware takes care of most pry functions.

The Pal RH 36, however, is definitely a good multi-purpose knife and since it isn't in a Ming Dynasty vase class, use that sucker.

rongallant likes this.
  7. geekandwife

geekandwife Loaded Pockets

My thoughts with the bayonet is it gives me pry, and the knowledge i could baton it if needed to split wood. And with the ring on it, I have a go to spear if I so needed. I would have my get home bag with the rh36 with me anyways, and what ever folder i am carrying. So it would be used not as a knife in most cases.

8. BeanbagsRgreat

BeanbagsRgreat Loaded Pockets

I carry a Pal RH 36 in the woods a lot, so I'd recommend using it!

9. pathwinder14

pathwinder14 Loaded Pockets

Who is the maker of your M7? They were made by several companies. General Cutlery, Imperial, Colt, Ontario, Conetta, Frazier, and MIL-PAR. Most of them are worth around $20-$30 EXCEPT Colt. Colt M7 bayonets often reach $100. Look at the top of the bayonet lug near the blade to see the manufacturer stamp.

They make great Bug Out knives. I have a Gen Cut (General Cutlery) version. I bought it for $20 at a gun/knife show years ago. Great knife, carbon steel, full tang, convex grind (great for batoning), good length, and the bayonet lug makes it easily turned into a spear. They are heavy in the handle, especially if you cord wrap them.

10. MTFatboy
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

MTFatboy Loaded Pockets

I hadn't thought of that. Kinfolks Incorporated (K.I. on the crossguard) also bring a decent price.

11. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

I don't acquire many knives. When I do, it is after much research. I buy the quality stuff and I don't abuse them so it is not uncommon for me to still use something decades-old. I still have the five-inch fixed blade that I carried as a young teen traipsing about in and out of several US Navy bases in the Pacific ocean where my father was stationed.

That blade, when properly sharpened, cuts just as-well now as it did over 50 years ago.

MTFatboy and survivorman like this.
  12. gadgetjunky

gadgetjunky Loaded Pockets

Generally speaking, if it is vintage yet still somewhat common I will put it to work. If it is vintage and scarce / rare, even if it isn't particularly expensive, I will generally put it on lighter duty, maybe around the office or house, but not take it out into the wilds.