1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

thoughts on these 3 for CCW?

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by kkay, Jan 1, 2016.

1. kkay

kkay Uber Prepared

Success today! :D

2. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

Pics or it didn't happen.

sent from a device with a keyboard that hates me

kkay and Dorian like this.
  3. kkay

kkay Uber Prepared

LOL...oh IT HAPPENED alright. No pics right now. I even got the Pearce Extensions put on for me too. I am going to clean it later today. Hopefully tomorrow I can test it out.

Dorian likes this.
  4. J_C
    • In Omnia Paratus

J_C Loaded Pockets

I think you'll like it. I have a G26 Gen4 with the Pearce +2 extension and it makes for a very versatile gun. I find it to be about as accurate for self defense purposes as my larger Glock 22. Find yourself a good holster or two and a good belt and you're all set.

WISluggo and kkay like this.
  5. kkay

kkay Uber Prepared

It is clean and lubed, and ready. I wanted to go to the indoor range, but my buddy told me they were closed on Sunday. Bummer. I may go to my friend's property out in the country instead.

Dorian likes this.
  6. Carcass

Carcass Loaded Pockets

I have an M&P Shield 9mm and I swear by it. Some people complain about the grip being a little short, but I have no issues. It's a great size to conceal carry, shoots great, reliable and very affordable. I paid $379 for mine. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Day Tripper

Day Tripper Loaded Pockets

This is an old post, but for anyone currently looking for info regarding the Ruger LC9s vs. M&P Shield vs. M&P compact vs. Ruger SR9c, I've got a bit of insight that may be helpful:

Ruger LC9s - I love it...mine is my summer carry gun, as it is small enough for pocket carry, and big enough with its 9mm caliber to make me feel a bit safer than carrying a .380. The Ruger triggers are much better than Glocks or M&P's IMO. Just really smooth...smooth like butter. I saw them on sell for around $300 today, and that is a ridiculous bargain on a great single stack EDC gun. The only thing I don't care for is the sights are a bit small. Not that big of a deal for a self-defense weapon though, as if you ever have to shoot it, chances are it will be up close and a point of aim type situation.

M&P Shield - I got one in 9mm and one in 45, and they are both great guns. Easy to shoot, easy to carry, just all around another great value on single stack EDC gun, especially considering you get the extended mag with it. I have never had anybody point out to me that I am printing, but I feel like I conceal the LC9s much better than the Shields, so I typically use them during colder weather when I can cover up more with a sweatshirt or jacket. The sights on the Shields are way better than the LC9s, but the trigger does not feel as good. It is completely serviceable though, so not really a big deal. I do not like that it doesn't have an ambidextrous magazine release though, but with some training, it isn't that big of a deal.

If you are in the market for a "best of both worlds" type of hybrid carry gun and house gun, then the M&Pc or the SR9c are both good options. I love that both of them are able to use smaller capacity magazines, as well as the full-size magazines of each of their larger, full-size cousins, the M&P and the SR9 or 9E. Much like the single stacks, the M&Pc has better sights, but the trigger on the SR9c is much better. One of the biggest downsides on the Ruger SR9c for me though is the awkward loaded chamber indicator. It is flipping huge compared to the sights. Although I really thought it would be an issue shooting with it popped up, it isn't an issue, but I just hate it. It looks cheesy, and they could have just machined out some type of window like all the other guns mentioned. Even a few of the Springfields that I've owned with the loaded chamber indicator were nowhere as obtrusive as the Ruger one, just an all around bad design for it. I also think that the SR9c feels a bit barrel heavy compared to the M&Pc. I think they designed it this way to help with recoil, but it just feels weird to me, although it is a really great shooter. Add this pet peeve in addition to the loaded chamber indicator, and the teeny, tiny sights that are difficult to replace, and I think the M&Pc is a much better buy. The SR9c is a fun gun to shoot, but if you are looking for an actual use gun and not just a range gun, go with the M&Pc.

8. kkay

kkay Uber Prepared

I kinda wish I had tried the M&Pc before I got the Glock. If I had the money (which I don't) I'd like to try that M&Pc. I was worried about not liking the trigger though. Yes, I know about the trigger kit, but that is more money for sure.

9. Telstar

Telstar Loaded Pockets

There is nothing wrong with any of those choices... it all simply boils down to personal preference and ergonomics. This is a choice that others cant really help you make. Sometimes you will buy and gun and decide you don't like it.. it comes with the territory. My advice would be that you not wring your hands over the decision. The hard part is narrowing down the field to a few "good" guns. You have already done that, so just jump in.

kkay likes this.
  10. gazz98

gazz98 Loaded Pockets

Congratgs kkay! Post some pics when you get a chance. My CCW is an M&P9c. I like the ability to carry the smaller and larger magazines. Only reason I didn't go with the SR9c is the external safeties. My wife carries the Shield.

11. kkay

kkay Uber Prepared

I didn't like the feel of the Shield in my hand. I never shot one. I haven't done any target practice in several months. Some health issues came up, and family issues. I like the Glock, but I don't love it. Maybe with more practice I will. I have always liked long guns much more. I never liked pistols, but decided to get one for protection.

12. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Tell us more about this "need." Have you been a victim of a crime recently? Are you reacting to recent events? If so, what event? Did you have the opportunity to obtain a CCW earlier in your life?

13. kkay

kkay Uber Prepared

I guess you could say I am seeing crime increase quite a bit. I never saw a need for a CCW license before. But as I see crime increase, I decided it was finally time to do it. Then I hit a rough patch financially, and haven't been able to follow through. I still plan to do it in the future, but right now it isn't possible.

0dBm likes this.
  14. captainamerica

captainamerica Loaded Pockets

I agree that crime is on the rise and violence seems all around us and sociopathic, cold, heartless people are constantly on the prowl. I carry a firearm just in case it comes to me or my loved ones or other innocent victims that I might be able to help.

15. kkay

kkay Uber Prepared

There are people who are robbing stores, banks, old people, and homes. You aren't safe going to the store anymore. If you take your dog to the park, and you are on a fairly secluded path you are a target for some of these low life individuals. Where I live the population has greatly increased. It used to be a pretty safe place to be, not anymore though!

Spyke likes this.
  16. Sinkhole

Sinkhole Loaded Pockets

I'm a lefty so finding and ambidextrous gun that I like is always a huge plus (though not a necessity). This is one reason my primary carry gun is an M&P9c. The only dimension that is larger than the Shield is width so I cant see loosing capacity when comparing the two.
    The Ruger LC9s is a great gun though it lacks any sort of ambidextrous controls and I will assume since you mentioned it is important to you.
    As for you last choice well, I have never been a fan. Not saying it's a bad gun but there are better options for the money.
    Some handguns I would recommend you look at the Sig Sauer P290RS. It comes with night sights and a 6+1 magazine as well as an 8+1. the mag release is reversible also. they can be had for $399.99 street price and I am waiting for more to arrive at my LGS as the guy in front of me bought the last one, last week. I would also consider the Springfield XDs: it's a little more money and I personally don't care for the feel of the grip but it is a quality firearm. I would also consider the Sig Sauer P320 sub-compact. It's ambi andalmost identical in size to the M&P9c but you can get conversion kits to go to different size guns. The Shield should also be considered. Though not ambidextrous it's one really nice firearm.

17. dhw46725

dhw46725 Loaded Pockets

My EDC is a .357 Dan Wesson 15-2 snubbie. I've always been a revolver fan as they are the most reliable you can get. My backup for when I can't dress well enough to conceal my pistol is the Ruger lc9s that I just bought for Christmas and I love it. I haven't put a lot of ammo through it but I shoot and carry 124 grain hollow points that are handloads at a local gun shop

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

#117 dhw46725, Jan 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  18. WISluggo

WISluggo Loaded Pockets

^ this

I have two g27s and they are so much easier to shoot with the grip extensions and talon wraps.

19. Spyke

Spyke Loaded Pockets

I'm a lefty with arthritis and am an M&P fan. Easy enough to rack, conveniently located slide lock and reversible mag release. Shoot great and reliable.

20. ScottieG59

ScottieG59 Loaded Pockets

I think there is a lot of good ideas here. As to semi-automatic pistols, smaller and lighter will mean the slide will be tougher the rack, a firm grip is needed for reliable function and recoil will be higher. Beretta makes several handguns with tilt-up barrels and it is great if you insist on a semi-automatic, but are unable or unwilling to rack the slide. Calibers available are for the tilt-up barrels are limited. There is a very wide selection of small revolvers available, many of which have laser aiming available or built in. If you have a revolver in 357 Magnum, you can fire 38 special or 38 +P, or you can just go with a 38 +P. Of course, you should get some experience with the handgun with the carry options in mind. I have some very small handguns I never carry since I am able to conceal larger ones. Also, self defense options may not be in good light and it may not be immediately clear there is a threat. At the very least, I carry a small powerful flashlight with strobe function, pepper spray, a couple folding knives with one fully serrated, a fully charged mobile phone, a plan to avoid danger, some situational awareness and a plan to deescalate and to get away. I have experienced bad situations as a soldier and as a civilian, and the situations rarely go as expected and we are often in the mess due to a lack of preparation and awareness. Handling a violent encounter in reaction mode involves acting in a way most of us find revolting and extreme, but it is necessary in order to gain an upper hand. Ultimately, the objects you carry are either useless or harmful to you and innocent parties if you lack a plan and effective training.