1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

thoughts on these 3 for CCW?

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by kkay, Jan 1, 2016.

1. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

I've heard this repeatedly, and to reach his own. But, I disagree, especially for someone relatively new to pistol shooting. That technique is good for training yourself to point a pistol more naturally and to feel recoil correctly. A lot of my range sessions start shooting a group with my eyes closed (not the whole group yet...aim, close eyes, trigger, follow through, open eyes). It works to tell you if you're muscling through recoil or if your grip is wrong.

But it is not IMHO a criteria for selecting one.

The grip you use when you're new is NOT the grip you'll use when you learn what you're doing. Same with the draw stroke.

It's not going to be consistent until you train for it to be.

A modern draw stroke has you tracking the front sight in your peripheral vision as you press out, so you'll overcome differences in grip angle naturally (obviously doesn't apply when point shooting from retention).

Some pistols like the M&P and the new H&Ks have interchangeable grip panels that will affect it.

The strong hand grips for single and 2-handed shooting are different, so it won't even be consistent there.

And there are a lot of people who shoot glocks, 1911s, and Berrettas well...there's no possible way they all naturally point the same.

I just don't think that matters as much as a lot of other things that go into pistol selection. It's certainly not something to toss one away on.

Longbow_06, chaosmagnet and Kilted1 like this.
  2. Kilted1

Kilted1 Loaded Pockets

Hybrid holsters are great. Any holster is made better by attaching it to a belt that's made to carry a load. You won't find such a belt at Wally World but most sellers of holsters (and many others) sell belts that are designed to hold up more than your trousers while looking good.

For summer wear with no belt required, check out SmartCarry or Thunderwear (and like) in addition to the more traditional belly bands. I'd call these more of a "groin carry" than anything. You can see a similar one in this thread and the SmartCarry web site has some rather amusing photos of it's inventor wearing his in various stages of dress. I've worn my SmartCarry with lycra cycling gear and it's invisible as well as comfortable. Even crashed on a downhill while mountain biking and everything stayed put. It would work just fine with most medium frame or smaller pistols while wearing the shortest of shorts and a crop top.

kkay likes this.
  3. kkay

kkay Uber Prepared

Well I went to two stores today. Nobody had the Glock 26 Gen 4. I am going to have to call around to other places. They did have an M&P 9c though. I wanted to see the two together. Oh well.

Now I've called every shop an hour away. Nobody has the Glock 26 Gen 4. I can't believe it. Gen3's are everywhere, but no Gen 4.

Last edited by kkay, Jan 6, 2016
  4. tom frost

tom frost Loaded Pockets

Are you certain that a Gen 3 won't suit your needs? It might be worth a look. I don't think there are a of differences between the sub compact gen3s and 4s, since i believe the gen3s (sub compact models only) already used the dual spring recoil spring assembly.

5. kkay

kkay Uber Prepared

Yes, the Gen 3 will not work for me. I did not like the mag release, the Gen 4 one is like the Glock 19 Gen 4 mag release, it is larger. You can reverse the mag release button on the Gen 4. Those two are biggies for me. The mags are different too, from what my son said. I did look at a Shield today, I do not like the very thin grip. So it is down to two guns. Nobody in this area anywhere within reasonable distance has any. Just got off the phone with the local store. He said they were selling around 80 guns a day! It is crazy out there. I can either be patient, and wait for who knows how long. Or I can get one I know I liked. My son is really pushing the 26 Gen 4. If I knew one was coming within a couple of weeks, I could wait. But I don't want to what for 3 months, and then find out it is not gonna work for me. I did get some 9mm ammo today though. I did test the trigger pull on the M&Pc .40 I think it was. It surprised me, it was not too hard at all. I am not considering the .40, just the 9mm. But I was surprised that the trigger was so easy.

6. tom frost

tom frost Loaded Pockets

Good luck finding the one you want! Of the pistols you're considering, there isn't a bad choice in the bunch, so I'm sure you'll be happy with whatever one you end up with!

kkay likes this.
  7. kkay

kkay Uber Prepared

Thank you Tom. At this point the S&W M&P9c looks like the one I will end up getting. (It is a shame I couldn't compare it with the Glock 26 Gen 4.)

8. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

The glock 26 gen 4, to me, feels a lot like the 19 gen 4 that I think you tried, just with a shorter grip and muzzle. The balance, grip shape, and ergos are all basically the same to me.

Honestly, if you put a +0 or +2 mag extension similar enough to the 19 grip on the 26 and blindfolded me, I'm not sure I could reliably tell a difference just from holding it. My guess is the difference would largely be the feel of the finger ridge between my ring and Pinky fingers.

If you like the 19 better than the 9c except for the size and can deal with or want an even smaller gun, you'll probably like the 26. The biggest difference is a few rounds missing and slightly harsher recoil.

sent from a device with a keyboard that hates me

kkay likes this.
  9. kkay

kkay Uber Prepared

The first time I used that 19 Gen 4, I shot a few rounds. I liked it. But then I had trouble pulling the slide back. (the gun was new) Later on the down the road, I tried it again. Same thing. About 2 or 3 nights ago, I tried to pull the slide, and it was pretty easy. (MUCH EASIER than I remember) The slide isn't as easy as the Glock 26 Gen 3, but it was very acceptable. The 19 Gen 4 is a little heavy for a carry gun. It is fine for my son. Lighter, and a bit smaller would be great. I would've liked the mag release to be a little easier, but it was MUCH better than the Glock 26 Gen 3 mag release button. The Glock 19 Gen 4 would be nice to have, just not for carrying.

10. Durandal64

Durandal64 Loaded Pockets

Seriously consider a Smith and Wesson J Frame revolver like a 442 if manipulating the slide on a semi-automatic is difficult due to physical issues. You can get a lighter spring kit if the trigger is difficult that will not get you into trouble if you have to use the weapon in self defense. Also, maybe take an intro to hand gun safety / use class if they are offered in your area. A little more education is always better on pistol types, legality of lethal force in your state/city and carry options.

11. kkay

kkay Uber Prepared

Durandal I did not have trouble with the slide release button on any other gun I tried, just the .40 caliber M&P. I am going to take a class asap, after I've used the one I buy for a short time.

Durandal64 likes this.
  12. kkay

kkay Uber Prepared

Well I found a Glock 26 Gen4, and liked it, with the Pearce Grip Extension. My friends and I went to a place in the next state. I decided I liked it just a little more than the S&W. Found out I could not buy it, because I am not a resident of that state. So, back to the drawing board. I am very disappointed. Hopefully they will get one in here before long.

Longbow_06 likes this.
  13. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

Well, now that you know what you want, you should be able to order it.

kkay likes this.
  14. LivingUpNorth

LivingUpNorth Loaded Pockets

Like Moostapha said, you can order one online, and from any location/state, I might add. You'll have to have it shipped to a local gun store (or anyone with a FFL [Federal Firearms License]) and still do the background check paperwork, of course, but it could be faster than simply waiting around. You'll have to check with your local store to see if they'll do that, or search online for local FFL holders in your area. Most FFL folks will charge a small fee ($20-$30) to do the check. I've done it once myself, and it was pretty easy, it just took a few phone calls.

Longbow_06 likes this.
  15. kkay

kkay Uber Prepared

Yes, I could do that. The store I was at said they charge 70 or 75 dollars. These people are ridiculous. They had the gun for 599 though. That was a decent price. A shop here said they could order for me. I will have to see what the final charge would be. They wanted 599.99 I think it was, for the Gen3 here. So the Gen 4 will probably be 50 more. That is really more than I wanted to pay. 600 is reasonable to me.

16. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

That's insane.

Gen 3s cost $500 here. Gen 4s are 560. FFL transfers are 20-25.

Monopolies are apparently stupid.

Longbow_06, chaosmagnet and Dorian like this.
  17. kkay

kkay Uber Prepared

Well since the demand is so high, they can do this. I am not thrilled about it. I have another lead locally that I found out about this evening. There is another store, I didn't know about, until now. They are closed tomorrow. The story of my life...

18. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

Yeah, I get supply and demand. I still think it's almost entirely because there are so few shops in your area.

There's still some variability here, but you mostly see it in magazines. And the shops actually inside the city limits are more expensive than the ones in the suburbs, supposedly because of taxes.

If you do find somewhere that has reasonable fees, you could probably save money by ordering from a shop online.

Longbow_06 and kkay like this.
  19. Longbow_06

Longbow_06 Banned

You can buy in TX right ? There has to be like, A million gun stores in TX.
    Surely a store there has a Gen 4 for a good price.
    Edit for Gen number.

Last edited by Longbow_06, Jan 15, 2016
    Dorian likes this.
  20. kkay

kkay Uber Prepared

There are a lot of gun stores in Texas. They are sold out of that particular gun in my area. I am going on a little road trip tomorrow. I hope I will find what I want then.

Dorian and moostapha like this.