1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

thoughts on these 3 for CCW?

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by kkay, Jan 1, 2016.

1. Longbow_06

Longbow_06 Banned

Do have any friends/family/acquaintances with former/present .Mil or LEO service ?
    Surely someone who can instruct you without costing you too much ?

kkay likes this.
  2. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • The Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

Indeed the Glock 43 is noticeably shorter, thinner and lighter. The magazine release is reversible but the slide release is right-handed only, from what I see. I've read that some folks who reversed the magazine release have had some problems, but I haven't seen that for myself and I don't know if it's been resolved.

kkay likes this.
  3. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

kkay, if Texas requires a strap for carry, there are a handful of gun bloggers who have published pictures of themselves doing it wrong.

It sounds like the kind of thing that gets proposed and then cut when people realize it's dumb.

Charging to rent guns and then forcing you to buy range ammo is normal. $40 is a bit steep, though. Normal in Atlanta is $10 and you can trade in and out whatever rental guns they have. It's a bit different for machine guns sometimes, but that's just because it's very hard for normal civilians to own them.

As far as the shield....it's kind of impressive how easy it is to shoot for its size. But I keep saying that about tiny guns I try.

It IS harder to shoot. It's harder to get it to point naturally. It's slower to present and slower for follow up shots. But, it's a lot easier to conceal. As with everything, it's a trade off and one you'll have to decide for yourself.

chaosmagnet and kkay like this.
  4. kkay

kkay Uber Prepared

I see now the Shield is right handed only. So this still brings me to the M&P 9c. It is either going to be that in a heavier gun, or I will just pick a right handed gun, that is lighter. I do not like the mag release on the Glock. I don't like plastic mags, it feels cheap. (and I worry about cracking) Yes I do understand that brings the weight down. The Glock also has plastic sights too, if I remember right. I like metal sights. I like higher capacity rounds not because of one attacker, but in the event I have multiple attackers. The only reason I am willing to go with less than idea, is because of the lighter weight, and concealment factor. If this was a house gun, I'd already have bought the M&P most likely. (when I find one with a thumb safety that it)

5. kkay

kkay Uber Prepared

That retention strap was an amendment, and my friend was under the impression that was the law. But from looking it up some, it looks like the amendment did NOT pass, thank goodness. But it does say a shoulder, or belt holster. I do not know if an inside pant holster that clips on the belt/waist band is going to work according to the rules. It is not specific enough. After reading your post, it pushes me more towards the original choice. My son thinks I am too small to conceal the gun I really want though. (I am not small, but to him I am. He is well above 6ft tall...lol)

I think 40 bucks to rent this gun is ridiculous. I forgot to ask if there was tax on that.

6. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

My shield doesn't have a thumb safety. I'm fine with it not having one. But, yeah...I'd cut it out of contention if you're only looking at the thumb safety version.

As for plastic mags...I've watched a lot of people drop a lot of them on concrete over the last year and a half...most of them more than once a night. No cracks. I wouldn't worry about it.

Frankly, I think it's more likely for the metal ones to be dented. And now that I think about it, they might have metal liners. Don't quote me on that, I might be pulling it out of nowhere.

All of my AR mags are plastic, and I have no qualms about them either. I like plastic.

Glock factory sights are placeholders. Assume you'll replace them pretty much right away. I did.

And I get you about multiple attackers, especially nowadays. I have the shield for deep carry when I absolutely can't get away with anything else (or to occasionally put in a jacket pocket in addition to my normal carry), but I carry a full size with 35 rounds as a baseline. I've added another 17-round mag with a +11 extension on it before. If I owned more than one of them, I'd do it more often (the mags are $40 and the extension is $50, and I have other priorities).

7. kkay

kkay Uber Prepared

My son is active duty. I also have a friend who was Army, and well versed on firearms. I have another friend who has firearms, but not the ones I'm interested in. He likes big pistols, and I am looking for something much smaller. Plus I want a 9mm.

chaosmagnet likes this.
  8. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

An IWB holster is a belt holster.

As for what you can and can't get away with....it's really down to body shape and wardrobe. Sarah Tipton on the truth about guns has some articles on carry for women. As does the cornered cat website. Neither of which I can link to.

Also, when I say I have the shield for deep carry, I mean a suit without a jacket and no visible bulges even when I bend over or stretch and no belt clips showing in a non-permissive (but still technically legal) environment.

If I relax any one of those criteria, I can conceal a full size gun. Most of the girls I know could conceal at least a compact the size of a 26 or even a 9c if they were really comfortable carrying and making small adjustments to their wardrobe....even the tiny ones.

9. kkay

kkay Uber Prepared

Thank you moostapha. I will check into that. That is the type I'd prefer. I will have to learn about holsters. I like the hybrids a lot. I looked at the local store, and didn't like any that I saw there. During the cooler months, I'd prefer a shoulder holster. In the warm months, I'd like to wear it inside my pants with clips. I was most concerned for hot weather, and wearing shorts with no belt. It gets boiling hot here in the summer. I hate to wear jeans then. I wear shorts constantly in that kind of heat.

I found both sites easily. Thank you very much!

chaosmagnet likes this.
  10. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • The Omnia Paratus

The big difference between a Shield and a M&P 9/40c is the thickness -- the compacts are smaller in other dimensions. But the Compact is ambidextrous in every way other than the magazine release, and that is reversible.

For me, I would say that I draw, present and get the first shot off with the Shield as well and quickly as I do with bigger guns inside ten yards. Bigger guns are more accurate in my hands beyond that. I can make followup shots with the Shield pretty quickly but definitely have better splits with a compact or full size.

The Glock shooters I know beat up their mags at least as much as I beat up my M&P mags. Both hold up very well to significant abuse. Nobody I know hangs onto stock Glock sights for very long -- but I've put aftermarket sights on my M&Ps as well, so that's not really different.

kkay likes this.
  11. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • The Omnia Paratus

Most people muzzle themselves when they draw from a shoulder holster. Most ranges don't permit them for live fire practice. I do not recommend them for most people. If you can wear an untucked shirt, you can carry IWB in any weather.

kkay likes this.
  12. kkay

kkay Uber Prepared

Well my son said the Glock 26 Gen 4, that I wanted to see previously is very different from the Gen 3. The Gen 3 is the only one the store had, that I could see. He says the Gen 4 mags are like the Glock 19. I like the mag release on the Glock 19 "okay". I don't mind the Glock 19 mag either. I dunno. He is pushing on the Glock 26 Gen 4 that was originally on my list. Maybe the store here can finally get in the ones I'd like to see. I hope they can do it while he is here. He will only have 3.5 days here, sadly. If he was on a longer leave, I would have him with me, until I found the "one". I am hoping the new shipments get to the local stores asap. I will also ask around if there is another range, that may happen to have the ones I'm interested in. I could drive up to an hour away, if they had what I wanted to try.

13. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

I find it hard to believe you can't find a better stocked shop in Texas. I live in Atlanta, a very bright blue dot in a red state, and one of the best shops I've ever seen is inside the city limits with like 30 bays and just about everything you could want outside of 50cal rifles (apparently they don't sell) and machine guns (they're too expensive to stock...except the M4 they have for rent, which I think they legally manufactured). They also have multiples of everything you're considering.

As for shorts without a belt...look into belly bands. They're....a double edged sword. They work well and are really flexible in positioning. But they don't COMPLETELY protect the trigger guard. I'm wearing one right now, having coffee in my pajamas. It's comfortable and easy and about as quick to draw as my all-kydex rig, but I COULD pull an M&P trigger with it still in the band (much harder with a glock or an Apex trigger...the trigger safeties are different). I don't worry about my clothes pulling it, but I'm very careful around my dogs.

I'm actually getting close to designing something that fixes their shortcomings but should be about as flexible....probably have a prototype by the end of the month. But, I'd be hesitant to offer it to anyone else until I get a lot of feedback from people I trust.

I also don't like hybrids. No matter how much the manufacturers say they breathe, they always felt bulky and unreasonably hot to me.

kkay and chaosmagnet like this.
  14. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • The Omnia Paratus

This right here is the glory and the wonder of the capitalist system: we get to choose the toothpaste, deodorant, pistols, holsters, multitools, knives, pens and so on that work best for each of us individually.

If you can't find a range near you with reasonable prices and a decent selection of rental guns, kkay, could you plan a road trip?

moostapha likes this.
  15. kkay

kkay Uber Prepared

Moostapha, you have to realize I don't live in a big city like you do. If you don't have competition, you can keep your prices high. You also have to build your business in time. They probably will get those kinds of guns I am interested in, especially if people keep asking to try the same ones. I have never been to that range. I know most people know someone who lives in the country, or they live in the country, or they have a deer lease somewhere. The main ones who do not have either, will be the ones going to that range. You have competition in business like that. That drives down the price, and they have to increase selection for rentals, too. I am sure if I was in a big city they would have a good selection to choose from.
    Chaos, I mentioned I would be willing to drive for a reasonable distance. I will have to find out what options are available to me.

Dorian and moostapha like this.
  16. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

I guess I just don't realize how much bigger Texas is than GA. Driving halfway across the state for a match is the kind of thing I MIGHT pack a bottle of water for.

Dorian likes this.
  17. kkay

kkay Uber Prepared

I have been in Georgia, it is a lovely state. It is nowhere near the size of my state though. My vehicle is very old. I do not want to drive too far with it. That is why it must be a reasonable distance. I carry a get home bag if I drive half an hour away! So we are a little different. I need to have some maintenance done, before I would consider a longer trip. I plan to get that done soon.

Dorian likes this.
  18. kkay

kkay Uber Prepared

I have a double post. It said error try again. Then it said error again. Hit reload, and see I sent two messages by accident. Sorry about that!

19. Kilted1

Kilted1 Loaded Pockets

Maybe it would be cheaper to buy an hour or two with a trainer who can bring an arsenal of pistols for you to try, than to rent several for you to try on your own. You'll also get the benefit of having some 1 on 1 time with a trainer.

For me, if I'm looking for a gun with a purpose but haven't settled on a model, I'll go with some general criteria (double-stack 9mm compact) and go the the store to do some fondling. You need to be able to easily reach all the various controls, it needs to feel reasonably good in your hands, and it needs to present an intuitive sight picture. For this last, you face in a safe direction, chose a "target", close your eyes, and bring the gun up to firing position (finger off the trigger of course). Open your eyes and if the sights aren't lined up more or less on target, move on to the next one.

20. Kilted1

Kilted1 Loaded Pockets

Hybrid holsters are great. Any holster is made better by attaching it to a belt that's made to carry a load. You won't find such a belt at Wally World but most sellers of holsters (and many others) sell belts that are designed to hold up more than your trousers while looking good.

For summer wear with no belt required, check out SmartCarry or Thunderwear (and like) in addition to the more traditional belly bands. I'd call these more of a "groin carry" than anything. You can see a similar one in this thread and the SmartCarry web site has some rather amusing photos of it's inventor wearing his in various stages of dress. I've worn my SmartCarry with lycra cycling gear and it's invisible as well as comfortable. Even crashed on a downhill while mountain biking and everything stayed put. It would work just fine with most medium frame or smaller pistols while wearing the shortest of shorts and a crop top.

kkay likes this.