1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Thoughts on the Spyderco Sharpmaker

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Jimmer2109, Nov 20, 2013.

1. Jimmer2109

Jimmer2109 Loaded Pockets

I would love to learn to sharpen by free hand, but I see that more of a hobby. A hobby that I would like to get into, someday. I ended up purchasing the smith 3 in 1 sharpener so I can maintain my sharp edges at the moment. My next purchase, after some research, will be to learn to free hand sharpen. And I can take my time learning and mastering that skill.

2. jcc

jcc Banned

I see learning how to sharpen as learning how to take care of your knife and about what the knife needs in order to perform properly. I can see how some have it as a hobby, purchasing several stones and polishing compounds, etc.

3. Jimmer2109

Jimmer2109 Loaded Pockets

I completely agree to what you have to say. But there is a learning curve to learn how to free hand and properly care for knives. I'm gonna be using the smith 3 in 1 sharpener to keep them sharp for the time being.

And for my own knowledge, what do you like to sharpen yours with? I honestly have no idea how to even start to choose how to sharpen my own. It seems like there are so many different types haha

4. sl66ICEcuba

sl66ICEcuba Loaded Pockets

Sorry if anything I mention here has been covered. The Sharpmaker is good for quick touch ups and lightly maintaining an edge. I have heard by numerous people that free hand sharpening stones are the best but there is human error and I opted for what seamed to be the most repeatable option for me. I bought the Wicked Edge with all the stones and upgraded arms, I absolutely love it, I can get a perfect edge consistently and I can easily repeat it, for me this was the best option. I know it is not cheap but my knife collection is not either, this is something that I will not be replacing often so why not opt for the best?

5. Snappy Hat

Snappy Hat Loaded Pockets

Just never be tempted to use the pull thru shrapener thats on it , good way to ruin an edge.
    You will be fine with the other parts and like you say good way to get test the waters.
    cheers

ProjeKtWEREWOLF likes this.
  6. this_is_nascar

this_is_nascar Loaded Pockets

I have a SM that I purchased some 10+ years ago and believe it or not, have never used. Anyway, I have a fairly new Spyderco Dragonfly-2 that I want to attempt to sharpen. What angle do you recommend I use on the SM? Same question as it relates to the Benchmade Mini-Griptillian. Thanks in advance.

7. Snappy Hat

Snappy Hat Loaded Pockets

Sal in his you tube how to states they use 30 degrees but then suggests you use the 40 inclusive on the SM
    due the the 30 being too hard to maintain . He said it not me .
    Watch it here .

From Benchmade is the following however people have noted otherwise , angles from 15 to 30 to 40 .
    ( Makes sense if they are hand sharpened and you dont know the state of mind the employee might
    be at the time. )
    "We hand sharpen all of our knives and tend to sharpen at between 15 and 17 degrees on each side (30 inclusive). Hope this helps…."
    Thanks,
    Dianna Daniels
    Product Services Representative
    Benchmade Knife Co., Inc.
    800-800-7427 x-190
    ddaniels@benchmade.com

8. bh49

bh49 Loaded Pockets

I bought sharpmaker +UF rods in 2005 with one intention to save $$ on sharpening. This was the best $50 I ever spent. I still use it. Great tool for maintaining blades. Easy to learn, easy to use. Of cause you need to watch DVD to remember routine and read about sharpening in-general to understand what are you doing and what are you trying to achieve.
    To reprofile with sharpmaker can take a while, hours, depending on steel and condition of the blade. The only good thing that you do not do this often. I never had diamond rods, but spent couple hundreds on various stone trying to set them up with sharpmaker. I didn't achieve desired result of creating nice edge fast until last summer I bought WE. I love it. Great addition to sharpmaker. Or vise versa.

Try 40, if this will not work with griptilian, sometimes BMs have thick edges, you will have to reprofile

9. this_is_nascar

this_is_nascar Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the responses.