1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Thoughts on the Spyderco Sharpmaker

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Jimmer2109, Nov 20, 2013.

1. Jimmer2109

Jimmer2109 Loaded Pockets

First off, I'm not sure if this is the correct forum for this so please move to the appropriate place if necessary.

I have a few knives now and really would like to get into sharpening them. Some recent online searches I came across the Spyderco Sharpmaker. People say it is easy to use, but for a first timer would this be a good purchase? Does anyone else have any recommendations?

2. ProjeKtWEREWOLF

ProjeKtWEREWOLF Loaded Pockets

Purists would say a mouse mst ansd sandpaper would be cheaper or results would be better with waterstones.....as a spyderco sharpmaker owner i would probably agree at this point. The sharpening angles are predefined so not a lot of flexibility, but it is essentially foolproof.
    The diamond hones make reprofiling easy, but are very expensive.
    I like mine though.....but mine was also half price.

Check out bladeforums and british blades forum. Lots of sharpening info.

3. MedusaOblongata

MedusaOblongata Loaded Pockets

Sharpmaker is the easiest way to maintain your edges so they don't get too dull. If they do get too dull, or if you want to reprofile, the Sharpmaker is not ideal.

4. kertap75

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

I have a sharpmaker and like others have said it is very easy to use. but also like others have said the angles are pre defined. Personally I'm looking to get a decent set of stones and start sharpening by hand again. I did it growing up and think I was at least "OK" with it.

Nick4305 likes this.
  5. straightpuke

straightpuke Loaded Pockets

I started off with the Spyderco Sharpmaker. Now that I have separate stones that can make my knife even sharper, I won't ever go back to the Sharpmaker. Having said that, the Sharpmaker did help me for starting off. It's a great starter kit.

ProjeKtWEREWOLF likes this.
  6. blacmud8

blacmud8 Loaded Pockets

Get some micromesh of various grits, lay it over a piece of glass, drip on some water, put the glass on top of something about 3 inches tall and learn to sharpen freehand. It's really not that hard. My sharpmaker has been gathering dust since I did this.

7. jtice

jtice Loaded Pockets

I have used a Sharpmaker for years now, and love it.
    It is very easy to use, and most the time I get very good results from it, if the grind angle of the knife you are sharpening matching it.
    As others have said, reprofiling takes alot of time on it.
    But for keeping up on your knives, nothing beats it. Just a few swipes and you are sharp again.

Having said that, I do want to learn to freehand better some day. But keeping that angle can be tough at times, especially getting both sides to match.

8. Jimmer2109

Wow, thanks for all the info! I do have a little extra finances at the moment to afford the sharpmaker. So, maybe I'll go with that. I'd really like to not ruin any of my knives attempting to sharpen them by other methods haha. Once I get the basics of sharpening and have a few knives I can practice on, maybe I'll try some other methods

9. blacmud8

blacmud8 Loaded Pockets

How would you ruin them? Unless you try to sharpen one by stabbing it point first into a stone, that might do some damage. Any sharpening will change your knives, will change the edge geometry and shape. If you don't want your knives to look different, (if that's what you mean by 'ruined') then don't use them!

kertap75 likes this.
  10. Jimmer2109

Well, I've read some people using sharpeners and end up dulling their knives worse than before they attempted to sharpen it. That's what i meant by ruined. Maybe not the best choice of words haha. I'm not afraid of wear and tear, that puts character into your knife!

11. blacmud8

blacmud8 Loaded Pockets

Just bad technique. It's all about when you think the sharpening is over. If I have a few flat spots or little chips in an otherwise relatively sharp blade that I want to sharpen out, I will need to use a rougher grit which will remove the dings whilst dulling the rest of the blade. The point is to keep going until you have ironed out the creases so you can then work up the grits to get a proper edge.

12. Jimmer2109

See that is too much for me to handle at this point haha. I literally bought my first folder about a month ago, so I'm very new to all this. I'd rather use the spyderco so there is less things for me to mess up on haha.

And if I do get a ding in my blade, the rougher grit will dull it and help get the ding out? and then use the finer grit to sharpen it back up?

13. blacmud8

blacmud8 Loaded Pockets

The rougher grit isn't that rough, I remember it taking quite a while to get dings out. The standard stones are more like 'fine' and 'very very fine' than rough and fine. Never used the diamond rods but they're supposed to be pretty good, if pricey.

14. ProjeKtWEREWOLF

ProjeKtWEREWOLF Loaded Pockets

I have the diamond rods for the sharpmaker....i paid £20 for the pair though.....great for quick reprofiling.

15. blacmud8

blacmud8 Loaded Pockets

Steal!

16. Jimmer2109

Thanks, I appreciate the info! I haven't been on this forum long, but it seems like a great community here. Unfortunately, I think my wallet will be taking a beating in the near future :p

17. blacmud8

blacmud8 Loaded Pockets

A set of micromesh sheets here in the UK are about a third of the price of the sharpmaker, and mine have lasted me nearly two years ;)

18. Russ Prechtl

Russ Prechtl EDC Junkie!!!!!

I do think the Sharpmaker is good for the beginner. No fuss, no muss, and nice, repeatable results.

19. mushnz

mushnz Loaded Pockets

Sorry to derail, but there is one thing I have always wondered about with these systems...
    I know the sharpmaker has fixed angles for the rods, but surely not all knives have these same angles?
    Does the sharpmaker reprofile the blades to the fixed angle, or does it just not work on other blade angles?

20. Blair

Blair Loaded Pockets

I got one for myself for my birthday a few weeks back, I've never been able to get my knives as sharp as I have with my sharpmaker.

I got the extra-fine rods as well. Love this thing!