1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Thoughts on Goruck

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Locomoco, Jan 4, 2016.

1. Locomoco

Locomoco Loaded Pockets

Well it seems Goruck has drastically streamlined their product line after determining what their "sweet spot" was in terms of most popular items. Really sad in a way because my personal inclination are for items that are extinct like the Radio Ruck.

15L Bullet Ruck is no longer available. Shadow Rucks have come and gone.

Do you all agree with the company's stance on its current line-up? Me personally I think the Radio ruck and larger bullet should make a come back but not holding my breath.

Anybody here got an inside track with the Goruck crew? Any chance for limited releases on their phased out models you think?

ManVsLawn likes this.
  2. ManVsLawn

ManVsLawn EDC Junkie!!!!!

All I know is I was looking at the 10 and 15l for a day pack.

I can't blame a company for producing what makes the most money though! :)

3. 62Tele

62Tele Loaded Pockets

First guess would be it's just business, stopping production on slow sellers and responding to their customers and critics. We also live in a retail environment where new and gimmicky gets a lot of the market share, so they have to contend with that element.

I hope that while their line evolves, they keep a couple of "classics" available. I always appreciate it when a company maintains a certain core product line of the tried and true. What's attracted me to their stuff is the simple, no nonsense kind of design and materials that reminds me of old Land Cruisers, and F250's, Fender Telecasters, DC3's etc. - stuff that may not offer the newest twists or materials, but quietly takes a beating and does its job year after year.

Howler4 and ManVsLawn like this.
  4. fresh eddie fresh
    • In Omnia Paratus

fresh eddie fresh Loaded Pockets

Currently the most profitable GoRuck products seem to be their events. At this point it seems like the packs are almost an accessory for the challenges.

MikeM and Locomoco like this.
  5. syne'

syne' Loaded Pockets

I just ordered my kifaru zippy, so I'm planing on selling my 15l goruck bullet. :)

JerryD likes this.
  6. Brit1664

Brit1664 Loaded Pockets

I wanted a 15l bullet for training as 10l bullet was too cramped for trainers, FAK and personal kit. Settled for a litespeed but bullets are so nice to run with.

7. tigz

tigz Loaded Pockets

Been enjoying my 15L all summer to winter now. To me the most versatile and price worthy of the packs from gorucks line-up. I can see that as the threat to the more expensive GR line-ups.

FlyersFanJV likes this.
  8. RoboSim

RoboSim Loaded Pockets

This. They're more interested in selling events now.

"Oh, and by the way did you know we also make bags? You might want to snag some gear for our challenges."

Jarhead Greasemonkey likes this.
  9. Howler4

Howler4 Loaded Pockets

I was able to snag a 20L gym bag recently from GoRuck. I was looking for this for awhile and it wasnt on their website. It recently popped up before the holidays and was discounted. Not sure it was left over inventory or not, but i was pleased at getting my hands on one.

Ive noticed that they seem to be more into events recently. Its been hard to come across some of the more practical gear that a couple of my friends purchased from GoRuck 1-2 years ago.

10. 62Tele

62Tele Loaded Pockets

Not sure how anyone outside of the organization can judge what they're "more interested in" or what's "more profitable." Also not sure why having a two armed business model would be a negative? A lot of very similar stuff happens in track and field, hunting, music, motorsports etc.

11. Viper101

Viper101 Loaded Pockets

Yeah, I was disappointed when the shadow rucks went as I cannot afford the full spec ones. I ended up getting a Sitka and later a Kelty, but I think I would have been happy with a shadow ruck and been done with it.

12. Locomoco

Locomoco Loaded Pockets

I came to the Goruck thing relatively recently. They were always on the radar for me but for the longest time, it took awhile for me to appreciate their understated design. I've moved the opposite direction from the busy look of the TAD gear packs.

The more I read about the Goruck packs though I'm learning some interesting stuff! For example, the current line-up has two versions of the GR-1 (26L and 21L). The smaller GR-1 is actually the GR-0, which when it was sold as the "GR-0", cost less than the current price as a GR-1 21L. (Which is again, actually the GR-0)

Anybody know what they were selling for as regular GR-0's before this product consolidation?? I'm happy with the pack I have, I just want to know how much more I spent being late to the game.

13. Lane DeCamp

Lane DeCamp Loaded Pockets

As others said, they have always had a first love for the events.

Additionally, they are always experimenting. Some things hit the bullseye, some don't. Their rucking plates have been successful, their sandbags were at one time but as a fitness trend sandbags have moved on, they came out with far too many pack variants (to the point that people couldn't even understand what they needed) and are focusing on the best sellers. That's only natural. At least they're consistently creative, more than I can say for most pack manufacturers. They also made the GR's both as computer bags and as rucking bags. That was never an overlap for most people -- once you've rucked seriously with one, it has silt and sand embedded in it and it looks a bit beat up, so you aren't going to be walking into the office with your computer inside it. There's also (and I hate to say it) a big crowd of people who buy packs, fantasize about how they'll use them, outfit them well, and end up selling them without any real use. Not any of us of course, but there are a lot of them out there. They go from one thing to the next and Goruck isn't their thing any longer. Goruck now has to sell their hardware more to their ruckers than to people looking for the next great computer bag.

Jarhead Greasemonkey likes this.
  14. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I just took my GR2 on my Maiden Voyage with it for an unplanned week long service call trip in South Florida.
    I thought it would be a quick 1 or 2 day in and out trip but I am glad I brought 4 sets of clothes and only had to wash once!

The GR2 is really brilliant overall and though I am not yet expert with it I am starting to understand and appreciate a lot of subtle design that went in there too.
    It really does carry lighter than the load looks somehow and it packs bigger than seems possible too.

I look forward to more trips in its future.

Wolfman Zack and zatoichi like this.
  15. 62Tele

62Tele Loaded Pockets

Good to hear. I bought one for travel during the holiday sale and look forward to seeing how it's going to work for me. Love the organization built into the pack - are you using any extra pockets or organizers?

16. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Sure.
    I am playing around with everything that I have to find my options and what works for me and I am trying to resist the temptation to use pockets inside of pockets where I can as they take up space while giving organization.
    This trip I really tried to use the GR2 for clothes and minimal toiletries but I ended up sticking pockets with tools and some food/snack items in there too to get to the destination but then put them in the briefcase once there.

It is a really nicely made and rugged bag.

17. 62Tele

62Tele Loaded Pockets

Cool. I picked up some padded pockets and a tough bag to add some versatility for different trips/loads. Since it fits perfectly into the built in pocket, I can see the GR1 pocket getting regular use as a removeable Dopp kit, and the tough bag for shoes.

Seems like every review I read of the GR2 raved about the pack for travel. Good example of a core piece I hope they continue to make.

18. smcguirt

smcguirt Loaded Pockets

I just bought 62tele's bullet 15L but not new to the goruck game. I bought a challenge before I ever bought a gr1. I was training with a rush 12 and the yoke setup just didn't work for me but I was like I am not paying $300 for a assault pack. I gave in and bought one now I now have 4 gr1s, sd25, 10L, 32L kit bag, and had a gr2 and field pocket. My name is Shawn and yes I have a bad bag addiction. Kifaru is my other vice. Anyway, I had heard Jason say on a reddit ama that there will be something possibly taking the place of the 15L and they kept the 10L because it sold better. I also think they realized that too many different models and options wasn't feasible just a business deal. However the rucker seems to be a good way to get people drinking the kool-aid which just leads to gr1s and 2s. As for travel setup I use a gr1 and kit bag works very well and gives a little more versitility with your load out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Locomoco likes this.
  19. Brit1664

Brit1664 Loaded Pockets

I started off with a rush 12 but the shoulder straps were rubbish. Now have a GR1 for work, GR2 for travel and bullet for running. Tempted for another GR1 in the sale for sports stuff as my TAD Litespeed is looking far too military at the moment. Gorucks are simple sturdy and roomy apart from bullet.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Wolfman Zack likes this.
  20. Wolfman Zack
    • In Omnia Paratus

Wolfman Zack Loaded Pockets

I took the leap and bought a GR-1 last winter, I love it for a daypack, it just works beautifully for my needs.
    May add some water bottle holders eventually for convenience, but that's about all I've ever wished it had.

[​IMG]

I'm now looking for a GR-2 to use for travel, as the GR-1 has worked well, but is a bit small for more than a few days even packing light.