1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Thoughts on backpack chest mount

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by iomatic, Mar 2, 2016.

1. iomatic

iomatic Loaded Pockets

Hey folks,

Any backpack chest strap mounting options (like Hill People Gear) out there for admin pouches? Or other thoughts around quick gear/map access for hiking, walking, trekking, etc.?

I'm looking for:

• [LI]Small pouch for edc, map use[/LI]
      [LI]Zulu Nylon Mega admin seems huge (with map sleeve-$$$) but possibly workable[/LI]
      [LI]Super easy on-off; don't want to run a plate carrier; think backpacking, etc.[/LI]

This can't be the first time this was thought about? Maybe a belt rig would better?

Thanks!

Weej likes this.
  2. CanvasNBrass

CanvasNBrass Loaded Pockets

I used to backpack on occasion wearing a RIBZ. Kinda only works for long distance stuff where you want to carry more and balance out your load. The older models were a little difficult to get on. But the current model has improved greatly. Pretty affordable option, too. They're pretty beloved in the flyfishing and fishing communities.

Their site is Ribzwear dot com.
    (No affiliation. Just like their stuff.)

Weej likes this.
  3. iomatic

iomatic Loaded Pockets

Thanks!

Weej likes this.
  4. 62Tele

62Tele Loaded Pockets

If the straps on your backpack have Molle webbing or something similar, you can try this; I use an Eagle Creek Side Trek held in place by two Grimloc caribiners, so you can release the pack quickly and easily with the push of a button. The Side Trek has a built in waiste belt that zips into the back so you get carry options, and it work really well as a drop-in organizer. It's a very well made and versatile pack for the money.

Weej likes this.
  5. Scoman

Scoman Loaded Pockets

Plus one for RIBZ. I carry maps, gps, compass, binoculars, cliff bar and more in mine.

Weej likes this.
  6. phatch

phatch Loaded Pockets

There are some packs made for this purpose, usually fishing back packs. Fishpond makes some of the nicer ones. William Joseph usually has some as well. The hill people one comes with it's own harness for wearing under other packs as I recall. Fishpond and WJ usually offer a separate carry system as well, their theory being you pack into your fishing destination and then fish from just the chestpack--sort of a summit bag approach. My current one is left over from a Body Glove fishing pack whose shoulder straps failed catastrophically. Sierra Trading post often has fishing style chestpacks at inexpensive prices.

Most chest packs have an agenda in mind in their design. Fishing, SAR, LEO/MIL admin seem to be the most dominant ideas. So their configuration choices reflect their agenda. The trickier part imho is getting the chest pack you like to fit a pack you like. Many packs have a vertical 1 inch webbing strap running on the shoulder strap you can use for mounting. Get a triglide slide for retrofitting onto such webbing. This type of triglide is cut on the middle bar usually biased to one side leaving you something like 2/3 and 1/3 length bar. This makes it possible to fit onto webbing sewed in on both ends. With this in place, you can weave another strip of webbing into the triglide that will have your SRB on it that mates to your chosen chest pack. There should be enough friction to hold a reasonably loaded chest pack in place. You'll know if you have to increase mounting friction or reduce weight. For the mounts on the lower part of a strap, a Grimlock, D-Ring or other looser attachment is sufficient. You can go with triglides and SRBs again for a tighter custom fit and full release. Quick release on at least on lower and upper on the same side is important of course around water or similar emergency situations.

Last edited by phatch, Mar 3, 2016
    Weej likes this.
  7. Roguetrooper

Roguetrooper Loaded Pockets

Hazard 4 / Civilian Labs Ventra pack?

Weej likes this.
  8. Elieolio

Elieolio Empty Pockets

I've got a plain molle chest panel that I've fit with a couple of large general purpose pouches to function in the same manner as a RIBZ. Haven't tried it out in the wild yet but it seems to work OK, all though rocking a separate set of straps under the pack straps is not something I'm too excited about. As a result, I've been playing around with the idea of attaching my EDC MOAB 6 to my pack straps to act as a front compartment using the TIER system. It is somewhat bulky and blocks visibility down to my feet so it's something I'll need to try out in action before actually recommending it. The idea does work well in theory (in the living room) when attached to a RUSH 24.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Weej likes this.
  9. panzer

panzer Loaded Pockets

The Sarma Custom Made Torba Mini can be used in a chest rig configuration. They can be found on ebay and facebook. Lots of reviews on youtube as well.

Weej likes this.
  10. karlito

karlito Loaded Pockets

something like this? [​IMG]

There were a pair of molle mounting straps (you can use tacties or whatever) I just ran the sternum strap through. If your pouch has molle on it, it should be a pretty easy project. You would only need some extra webbing and hardware; grimlocs, side release buckles, tri glides etc.

11. phatch

phatch Loaded Pockets

You really need to consider emergency shedding of the pack with a chest pack. It complicates things.

sungame likes this.
  12. onebadwagon

onebadwagon Loaded Pockets

not really. Decide whether you want to keep your chest gear under the pack. If so, there are harnesses specifically for that.

If you want to attach it to the bag, that's easy peasy too. There are plenty of quick release mounting options to most packs, I don't think it'd take too much fiddling.

The Koala/HPG kit bag users have already done much of the leg work for you.

13. AlgoOPC

AlgoOPC Loaded Pockets

GoBliNuke likes this.
  14. That Movie Guy

That Movie Guy Loaded Pockets

15. weylan

weylan Loaded Pockets

I did this with An admin pouch. And a couple of soft shackles.

From Weylan

rr1071 likes this.
  16. panzer

panzer Loaded Pockets

Grim locks are great for attaching pouches to backpack straps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. AlgoOPC

AlgoOPC Loaded Pockets

That's The Condor T & T with a Condor Administration Pouch On the Front. I used the Haz 4 Varness Shoulder Straps and Haz 4 Chest Rig Adaptor Kit.

That Movie Guy likes this.
  18. AlgoOPC

AlgoOPC Loaded Pockets

Here are the Hazard 4 Straps.
    . [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. nikao

nikao Loaded Pockets

Don't know if you would like this better but this is what I did. A Fox Outdoor Multi-Field Tool & Accessory Pouch some webbing and buckles. I like that I can take my pack off and still have this on me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Elieolio, marcclarke and AlgoOPC like this.
  20. AlgoOPC

AlgoOPC Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

GoBliNuke likes this.