1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Thoughts on .380 Pocket Guns

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by jeremiahak, Mar 21, 2013.

1. rm3482

rm3482 Loaded Pockets

I carry a Glock 19 most of the time but my backup to it or the gun I carry sometimes is a bodyguard. Absolutely love the bodyguard. Not the best long target practice gun because of the long trigger pull but considering that FBI statistics state that 80% of all gun fights happen within less than 10ft I'm not too worried about the long trigger pull. It is a fun gun fits great in my hand. I would suggest going and trying them out at a range or borrowing a buddy's gun. Good luck!

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

2. jackknife

jackknife Loaded Pockets

Yeah, I gotta go with what he said. For a backup gun or hot weather gun, I'd go with a LCR. Heavier bullet on target, more accuracy, and total reliability. I kow that the .380 pocket autos are very popular for concealed carry, but if needed, the range is going to be arms length and it's all over in a second or two. Like a wise man once told me, "When a bad guy is very close to you, and one of you is going to die, there's no time for tap, rack, bang drills. I can't see how five 150 grain semi-wadcutters are not going to solve the problem.

3. Tony D.

Tony D. Loaded Pockets

I have a .380 as a bug . I dont really recommend that caliber as a regular carry. Its definitely a close up gun in any of the guns I have used. If you look in my profile pic you will see a NAA .380 Guardian its a fine gun but its a back up or a run to the store gun not an all around carry gun. If you need something small look for a J frame .38. A chiefs special or some thing like that. I also have a Kahr 9mm CW9 that is not much bigger than a Bersa .380. It is a fine gun and can be pocketed in cargo pants if need be. Just what ever you do get a pocket holster so you protect the gun and keep other items form getting in the trigger.

4. sarge1967

sarge1967 Loaded Pockets

The LCP is a fine weapon for what you pay. I have an LC9 and like it a lot. 9mm and .38 are the smallest calibers I will use for SD. My daughter just bought a Sig P238 and she loves it. They are far nicer pistols than the Rugers or Smiths but they cost much more as well. I have known a lot of folks that carry both the LCP and the Bodyguard and like both.

5. tkcenterline

tkcenterline Empty Pockets

The sig P238, Mustang Pocket Light the Micro Desert Eagle and my choices. The P238 is my first choice when I carry. However, please be careful!!! All Sigs P238 and the Mustang Pocket Light will ,in fact, drop the hammer in the half cocked position with the SAFETY ON. Plus, you can, not knowingly halfcock the gun when holstering it. I have called Sig regarding this and they claim that the gun is designed to only be carried in the Cocked and Lock position. Personally, i feel that any gun that drops a hammer with the safety on can be a potential problem? Don't get me wrong this is a great shooter and is my favorite. Another guns that I like in the 380 cal is a Walther PPK(s) by Smith and Wesson. It's on the heavyside. But what a great feeling gun in the hand and accurate shooter. I don't care for the Ruger LCP!! My friend has one and the pistol is always stove piping in the second round. I tend to like full metal guns and not the lighter polymer ones. Good Luck buddy!

Last edited by tkcenterline, Mar 23, 2013
  6. jeremiahak

jeremiahak Loaded Pockets

Lots of good input on here. Thanks. I'm going to just keep carrying my M&P Shield for now, and wait until I get a chance to shoot some of the various pistols mentioned on here. I need to build a holster for my Shield so I can get it out of my pocket though.

7. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • Sponsor - Home Craftsman
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

I've shot the Bodyguard and I really liked its ergonomics. I then went and bought a Shield in 9mm. The Shield conceals well on me and I shoot it very well. For me, the extra bulk is worthwhile.

8. twistedotter

twistedotter Empty Pockets

I keep a Kel-Tec 3AT in my pocket at all times. Additionally I OWB carry LC9, Sig P239, Glock 19, Ruger LCR .357 (in rotation...depending on outerwear) most of the time. But the Kel-Tec is always there. Not the best load, but the gun you don't have on you is useless,

Drewglynn likes this.
  9. HappyPuppy

HappyPuppy Loaded Pockets

Find one that you can live with the trigger. Some have a really long trigger pull which I don't care for. The big advantage IMO is the mouse guns are easy to always carry.

10. Cokeman

Cokeman Loaded Pockets

11. whyedc?

whyedc? Loaded Pockets

Throw in another non-.380. S&W 640 Pro Series. It can do .357 and has honest to goodness sights. Plus with a revolver you don't have to worry about tap-rack drills and it can also use moon clips for quick reloads.

12. RBid

RBid Loaded Pockets

These little 380s are fine for when you can't or won't carry anything else. I'm not a .45 guy, coming in to say you need a more manly caliber. The snag for me is actually the trend with the launcher, itself.

Most conversation about the long DAO triggers centers on the difficulty of producing consistent accuracy with them outside of 7 yards or so, and is (rightly) brushed aside by pointing out that these are contact distance pistols. My concern is rapid fire. Knowing that handguns generally require multiple hits to stop, we have to plan on rapidly putting those shots on target. With the BG, LCP, and similar designs, that long trigger pull means a lot of finger travel (pull to break, release all the way forward, repeat). Your finger really has to be flying to make those things spit rounds out quickly. Factor in the narrow and short grips, and the incredibly light weight, and you have a less than ideal pistol to be holding if you need to do more than present a firearm to stop a threat.

Please note that I am not saying that they can not be, or are not effective.

If you opt to carry a 380, as with carrying any firearm, you should practice rapid fire at realistic distances (1-7 yards).

13. jeremiahak

jeremiahak Loaded Pockets

RBid, I carry a full size or compact M&P in 9mm everywhere I go. The .380 would be used as a back up gun. I agree with you though that any firearm used for carry should be practiced with extensively. So far I'm leaning towards the body guard, but I'm also considering looking at the revolver options as well.

14. ske3t18

ske3t18 Empty Pockets

I got 8 rounds coming out of my Ruger LCP! I am using MAGGUTS high capacity magazine conversions and am completly happy with my backup pistol.

15. vermeire

vermeire Loaded Pockets

Check out Looper Leather's line of female specific holsters.

http://www.looperlawenforcement.com/the-pinup-collection.html

16. JB in SC

JB in SC Loaded Pockets

The Kahr is the best of the bunch: decent sights, great trigger, very accurate, soft shooter.

17. scbubba
    • In Omnia Paratus

scbubba Loaded Pockets

I have a Colt Mustang Pocketlite and it's a great little gun. Key point being little gun. As many have said, the .380 is not the best for SD. The Mustang is a back-up or holy :censored: weapon. I carry it if a pocket pistol is the only option I have based on dress code.

If you are dead set on a .380, the Kahr is a great choice and I would also look at Ruger's new .380 offering.

18. GG_Blaisdell

GG_Blaisdell Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

KelTec P3AT carries extremely well in right rear pocket. Essentially the same thickness as my Saddleback wallet. I normally carry a real pistol but I can carry the KelTec without any trouble. I sprung for the hard chrome slide so I wouldn't have to worry about any surface corrosion.

19. thiescea

thiescea Loaded Pockets

curious why .38 tends to often be seen as an improvement over .380, penetration etc is pretty much identical

20. Skipperbrown

Skipperbrown Loaded Pockets

Generally .38 +p loads from a 3" bbl shoot a much heavier projectile at the same or higher speed than the 95 grain .380 in a 3" bbl. The .38 is considered a more powerful cartridge plus the head of the bullet doesn't have to be designed with the concern for feed issues. I have guns in both calibers and prefer to to carry the .38 with +p.