1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Thoughts home home defense and open/ccw

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by Bloodstriker, Mar 24, 2014.

1. Kilted1

Kilted1 Loaded Pockets

With rights come responsibilities. I have all the rights and responsibilities of a free range human. That includes doing everything I can to make sure I get home to my family, making sure they are fed, clothed, housed, etc. It also means keeping them safe both in and out of our home as well as myself when I'm not with them. If I can help out someone else who is in need or in danger, then I'll be happy to do that as well. It also means making myself as good as I can be on a continuing basis. Training is a perishable commodity, if you don't think that's true, try learning a new skill, then don't do it for a year or even a month and see how good you are versus how good you were. If you're not practicing and refreshing your training regularly, you're not as good as you could be.

The police are under no legal obligation to protect anyone. "To serve and protect" is nothing more than an advertising slogan. That's not to say that they don't try, at least many of them, but it simply isn't a requirement of the job.

2. callelk

callelk Loaded Pockets

One thing I forgot to mention, I have been shooting since I was 6. I shot skeet professionally and served six years as an airborne infantryman with one year of combat in SE Asia in the early 70’s.

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  3. CUTLERY_KID

CUTLERY_KID Loaded Pockets

As far as Concealed Carry, I can't legally right now (16 years old). That being said, I'm fairly proficient in Krav Maga, carry pepperspray ( I know, not the best thing), and believe in my birth right to own and carry a firearm. And you can bet when I'm 21, I'll have my ccw permit. I have a FOID card, am a member of the NRA, shoot every weekend, and have been shooting since age eight. I also believe in the god given right to protect my family, and will do so at all times. If I hear something go bump in the night and I can't get my hands on a gun, I keep a Maglite d cell and coldsteel inferno spray in the drawer of my night stand. I train in defensive shooting when I can get the money together to take a course, and routinely spar. Bottom line is, you should be able to protect the lives of you and your loved ones at all times. Be it in a store facing an active shooter, or in your home against a burglar, you should be ready and willing to take the steps necessary to protect yourself, because the police won't always be there when you need them, and they won't magically appear the second you dial 911.

4. Twitchy

Twitchy Loaded Pockets

Firearm ownership in Germany is very restricted. Weapons are not even allowed to be kept in a loaded state at home if you happen to have a licence (ammo must be kept in a seperately locked compartment in a firearm safe, which must be bolted to the wall or floor). Having said that, crime rates for violent offences, such as mugging and murder are only a fraction of that in the US. This is true for most of the EU. Ergo, I believe it is safe to insinuate that most pro-liberal firearm arguments are often based on over-simplification of the complex circumstances, and that many arguments for further liberalisation are fatally flawed, if not completely erroneous.

Oscar4883 likes this.
  5. Tony D.

Tony D. Loaded Pockets

I have a ccw and i carry when ever I am not at work and my pistol may or may not be in my car every day ;). I started carrying specifically to protect my loved ones. I could not live with myself if something happend to them that i might have been able to stop. I slowly began to carry all the time. never know when you'll be in the convenience store while its being robbed. I carry a CZ 75 P01 9mm almost all the time and have a mossberg 500 pump with 18 inch barrel for home defence loaded with number 6 dont want to over penetrate and number 6 turdey loads will still scramble the organs pretty good at close range. I hope I never have to shoot anyone. If I have to I can. Killing some one will certainly NOT be fun but if its an innocent vs a criminal it is what it is. I also say it is my responsobility to practice and learn as much as i can to be prepared for the tragic event that may be created by a criminal. You should be able to handle that cocktail of chemicals your body produces when under extreme stress and be able to do it in any situation. That can only happen if you practice practice practice till muscle memory makes it natural.

6. pathwinder14

pathwinder14 Loaded Pockets

I hear what you are saying, but the stats tell a different story. Germany is not all logic and cool headed people. They have plenty of crime. As I sated it's all about violence. Wether or not someone owns a gun just determines the type of violence, not the amount. What about knife crimes? What about rapes? What about the Albanian, Russian, and Serbian Mafias? What about the Bosphorus serial murderers? Check out the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime web site for better stats.

7. Norm66

Norm66 Loaded Pockets

I own guns and carry as insurance I hope to never need. Same as health, car or home insurance. My neighborhood has gone down hill in the nearly 15 years I've lived there, but honestly even if I lived in a really nice suburb I'd still carry a gun. Crime happens everywhere and needing it and not having it would be the worst feeling I can imagine.

8. clandr1

clandr1 Loaded Pockets

Simple: I want to protect myself and my family from those would who want to bring them harm. Pro: I am capable of defending myself against almost anyone. Con: with that capability comes certain liabilities and consequences.

I do not believe I am responsible for anyone but myself, my friends, and my family. Everyone else is on their own - too many sue happy idiots these days to get involved in someone else's business.

While I don't think training should be mandatory for CCW holders (we have the 2nd amendment which precludes prerequisites to defending yourself), I train often to keep my skills fresh. It's hard to believe people have a hard time hitting a stationary target on a two dimensional range, but the truth is in a real life scenario, it is very much a 3D/360 degree range that not only has moving targets, but sometimes you don't know which targets are targets right away. It's all about OODA loop, processing data, scanning, staying aware of your surroundings.

The name of the game is situational awareness. I feel sorry for the person who buys a gun and thinks they are set for home and personal defense. It's a much more complicated solution.

9. MTFatboy
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

MTFatboy Loaded Pockets

Aside from the grave responsibility not to use it carelessly, the decision to carry a firearm is much like the decision to carry the other gear we at this forum decline to do without. The unpredictability of the world around us leaves us with two options: carry items we don't need, or need items we aren't currently carrying. The former is ALWAYS preferable, especially if that item is a weapon.

10. Twitchy

Twitchy Loaded Pockets

Really? So being almost 5 times as likely to be murdered is an acceptable state of affairs?

US homocide rate per 100,000 = 4.7
    Germany = 0.8

Document with stats availabla from UNODC, based on analysis of data up to 2011 (can't post the link as they haven't been approved by admins).

11. pathwinder14

pathwinder14 Loaded Pockets

I apologize. Germany is certainly better than teh U.S. with crime stats, however they are still high compared to many other countries in the world. I looked at the UNODOC stats too. U.S., England, and Germany didn't have wonderfully favorable stats. However neither of them was as bad a some others.

I simply point out that removing guns does not remove crime or violence. There is no country in the world *(except maybe super small countries like Monaco) that has no violence or crime.

*I looked them up. They have had violence and crime.

Last edited by pathwinder14, Apr 9, 2014
  12. martin_j001

martin_j001 Loaded Pockets

Other than when I'm at work, I carry 24/7. When I'm at home, a firearm is within arms reach at all times, if not on me. I firmly believe that people have a right to continue living and defend their own lives. I do not believe that right should be trumped by being in a specific location, building, etc, etc, etc...so I avoid places where I cannot carry when possible.

13. Soup

Soup Loaded Pockets

It's not the national crime rate that's telling but where you actually happen to live.
    Here, for example, in good ole France, we're fortunate to have a relatively low crime rate when compared, say, to the US, but that statistic alone doesn't mean sh... There are hoods nationwide where the crime rate peaks up like in third-world cities (Sevran Beaudottes, Marseille quartiers nord... etc to name a few), and though very limited in size, these parts exist and are to be taken into account. Finally it all comes down to environment assesment, as to where carrying could come in handy and save one's life.
    I, for my part, would love it to be authorized to carry, but as in the rest of Europe the laws are very restrictful. I own three handguns which I use mainly for range action an sport shooting. The only situation where they would be "allowed" to be made use of, as regards the french system, would be in a Castle Doctrine like situation, where someone would attempt to invade my home with ill intents and where the intruder would bear a "lethal mean", which you could understand by knife, gun or whatever dangerous tool there is.

14. dc5446

dc5446 Loaded Pockets

There will always be evil, I would rather be prepared if I must face it.

15. GQP

GQP Loaded Pockets

I do not feel my responsibilities change when I am armed. Nothing changes really except I have a chunk of metal attached to my body. I would not do anything or go anywhere armed that I wouldn't unarmed.

Other than that, its all situational.

2 weeks ago I had lunch at the mall food court a block away from my office. An hour after I left, two men got in an argument and one shot the other twice and then fled. I can only guess to what I would have done, but I believe I would have probably just drawn my weapon and taken cover. I would try to make note of any information the police could use and treat who I could with first aid (assuming 911 was called and it was clear).

If it turned into a mass shooting where the guy was walking around assinating people, then I probably would have tried to find a way to take a shot. However, I would not rush the guy guns blazing. If I couldn't engage without relative safety for my self and others, I would probably just stay hidden.

neutrontech likes this.
  16. neutrontech
    • In Omnia Paratus

neutrontech Loaded Pockets

I think I would respond the same in a similar situation. In a shooting scenario my first priority would be to secure the safety of my children. If I could get them out I would. If not I would try my best to find cover for them, draw my gun, and cover them. I wouldn't do anything to draw attention to us. Unfortunately, even if an assassination situation occurred, I would be forced to sit and watch if I had adequate cover for my kids. Moving in to stop the shooter would put my children at risk. Now if my children weren't with me I would still maintain cover, but I honestly don't know if I would stop a rampant assassin. I would certainly like to, but risking my life to save others puts the livelihood of my kids at risk. However I can't say for certain. It's very likely that I wouldn't be able to sit idly by while a madman walked around putting rounds in the heads of innocent people. I might be compelled to act. I hope to never be put in such a scenario.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk