1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Those who don't EDC a handgun.

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by Erik88, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Rawls

Rawls Loaded Pockets

I am not sure if this is a good reason but my family has been very anti gun since my great uncles shot and killed each other at family function in the 1950s. Ever since there has been an outright ban on guns. I thought I'd be able to escape that history when I moved out on my own but the misses is also anti-gun. Now that I have a little one I think I'd be disowned if I got a gun. There is no reasoning around it, no arguing about it--two dead hotheads at a family picnic leaves a lasting impression on lots of people.

2. Erik88

Erik88 Loaded Pockets

Well when I have kids that will only further my interest in protecting them. Therefore I will ALWAYS carry. And my kids will be raised with a detailed knowledge of firearms and learn to exercise their 2A rights. YMMV

3. Rawls

Rawls Loaded Pockets

Oh I completely agree with the increased desire for protection with kids, but things get sticky with a terrible tragedy mucking things up.

4. Mister Scribble

Mister Scribble Loaded Pockets

This is one of those issues that people are very divided on. I'm a city guy, and I was raised to think gun control was a good thing. And in a crowded city with a lot of people who have questionable judgment, it may be a good thing. If I thought all my neighbors had guns I'd be tempted to move to Montana. And to be honest I am not sure I'd feel comfortable with a gun in the house.

However, in the last few years I have come to see the importance of the Second Amendment for a variety of reasons and I support it. I think it does drop the crime rate if you have a body of responsible citizens who can carry firearms concealed. But in my city there are so many hotheads that it could also result in a Wild West situation with lead flying everywhere at the slightest provocation.

5. arkangel37

arkangel37 Loaded Pockets

Would love to carry a pistol but am in the UK so i can't have as much as a BB gun :eek:(

I think it's dumb that as long as you can prove you need it you can own a .308 or even a .50cal rifle (mind you there are only about 3 places in the country where you can shoot one!) but pistols are a no no.

I think some deer hunters can have a revolver for the humane despatch but they are few and far between.

Just out of interest how many states in the US can you own and carry a pistol? To the uninitiated in the UK we assume that your "right to bear arms" means that you can all own anything you want. It seems after spending some time browsing this forum some states have even tighter laws on guns and knives than we do! It must be a nightmare if you are going from state to state with their different laws!

6. FlatFender

FlatFender Loaded Pockets

One may own a pistol in every state in the US. Some states limit magazine capacity to 10 or 15 rounds. Nearly all states have some provision for concealed carry, I believe (someone correct me if I am wrong) Wisconsin, and Illinois and Hawaii being the only ones without it?

Anyone not convicted of a felony, or certain violent misdemeanors may own a handgun.

7. arkangel37

arkangel37 Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the clarification!

8. Erik88

Erik88 Loaded Pockets

The only 2 state that don't allow CCW permits are Wisconsin and Illinios. However many states such as Hawaii are "may issue" which can make it nearly impossible to obtain a permit. Basically you have to be someone important or filthy rich.

Most states are "shall issue" which means as long as your pass the requirements then you are able to obtain a permit. Each state has different requirements.

9. Erik88

Erik88 Loaded Pockets

I'm not sure what city you live in, but I would bet that there are probably quite a few CCW holders in your area that carry daily and and go on about their daily business without turning it into the "wild west". I live in a good size city and I can assure you that there are a large # of people who CCW and it's far from the "wild west". This is a common misconception.

10. redfox

redfox Loaded Pockets

Not only that people here are not allowed to carry guns, but even any kind of self-defense stuff. Nothing! btw I'm in Canada, folks.
    Otherwise I would gladly carry at least one gun on me.

11. Inspector

Inspector Empty Pockets

I'm in the UK and carry a firearm, or two, most of the time when I am at work. When I am off duty I have no need, and very little ability to carry a firearm. There are several firearms in my home though, shotgun, .223 rifle and my .50 Nemesis, but should some self defence situation arise they would be my last point of call.

12. bpa

bpa Loaded Pockets

I appreciate both your candor and your courtesy

You run with a good crowd.

Humans have a long, sordid history of murdering each other with whatever weapons are available. For every Isaiah, there is a Joel.

The original question was why people don't carry firearms, and requesting reasons for not doing so. I provided my reasons. Feel free to disagree with me. Doesn't make either of us right or wrong - it's all opinion, observation and experience.

13. J_C
    • In Omnia Paratus

J_C Loaded Pockets

I rarely carry, though I do have a permit. My employer prohibits weapons on their premises, including the parking lot, so that covers 5 days a week. On weekends when I get out I may choose to carry depending on where I might be going, but many shopping centers, stores and restaurants are posted with "No handguns" signs so if I'm going to one of those I won't carry either. If I'm going out to a restaurant with my wife on the weekend I may choose to have a beer or glass of wine with a meal, so that's also a "no carry" situation.

Doesn't leave me that many opportunities to carry legally and I won't knowingly violate the law or my employers policies.

14. Erik88

Erik88 Loaded Pockets

No offense but it just sounds like you are making excuses. I'm in TN as well and there are very few places in Knoxville that are posted against firearms. As for no weapons allowed on company property, I believe Haslam just voted so that employers can't keep their employees from keeping a gun in their car.

But it's your life, do as you choose. Just sounds like you are looking for reasons not to carry.

The ONLY place I don't carry is when I'm on the "criminal enrichment zone" aka UT campus. Otherwise I am armed.

15. vegassprky
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

vegassprky Loaded Circuits

Ever been in a crowd of people? Just saying carrying an unloaded gun in the open around others is not a good idea! There are bold criminals that just don't care or are high on drugs. But to each their own what ever you are OK with.

16. burnd4life

burnd4life Loaded Pockets

In Ca. no CCW here or I would.

17. Mister Scribble

Mister Scribble Loaded Pockets

You may very well be right.

However, I live in the Bronx--part of New York City. I'd half jokingly tell you that parts of the Bronx and Brooklyn are the Wild West already.
    (Though I must admit I believe it's better than it was some years ago.)

Gun ownership here, I think, is controlled by The Sullivan Law--which has been in effect for many years and is one of the toughest gun control laws in the country.

The police have been known to shoot kids carrying toy guns, the cops mistakenly believing that they were in danger from the kids' guns.

I do believe it is really tough to get a Concealed Carry permit here. Unless you have a really good reason or have a lot of influence.

18. jumpingincold

jumpingincold Empty Pockets

I was personally attacked some years ago, and I feel that a handgun would be useless in another such situation, at least partly because I was not aware until the attacker was too close. At the time, I happened to be carrying a diver's flashlight on a short lanyard, which turned out to be an excellent weapon, thanks to both its decent heft and intensely bright beam, and I escaped without serious injury.

I still carry that flashlight everywhere (mostly it's an emotional attachment because I think it saved me from being raped, or worse), but I think that being aware of one's surroundings and alert to potential threats is the best self-defense. I am not averse to guns, I just don't feel that an EDC handgun is requisite to my personal safety.

I would be interested to hear other forum member's experiences of how a personal firearm did preserve their safety, if any are willing to share such a difficult experience. Perhaps another perspective or possible scenario would alter my opinion.

19. ovaltine

ovaltine Loaded Pockets

I'm also very interested in hearing other people's experiences when carrying a handgun did help the situation.

20. tonester

tonester Loaded Pockets

??? criminals DONT care. its not that they are bold, they just dont care. and yes, there are bold criminals out there. there are criminals out there that will kill a cop who has a loaded handgun. this isnt news.

i would never open carry as a civilian especially unloaded. there is just so much that can go wrong with unloaded open carry. you would be a sitting duck to anyone who saw you as a threat. you dont have to let a stranger get close to you… what if some one pulled a knife on you 10 to 15 ft away from you? are you gonna have enough time to unholster your handgun, unholster a magazine, load the magazine, rack the gun, and then aim and shoot before that stranger closes the gap and slits your throat? if so, then you sir got talent cause i dont know of anyone that can do that.