1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Thorfire flashlights?

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by MillsHere, Mar 11, 2015.

1. Blerv

Blerv Loaded Pockets

If you don't have a plan B then disorienting just delays the inevitable by a few seconds. If a strobe travels the speed of light hopefully your right cross lands about .5 seconds later. Or a shot. Or your 100 meter dash in the opposite direction.

As for the light, truth is these days you get a ton for your money. Most "quality" ones are made in China for little to no money. These range from decent to impressive and the "impressive/quality" ones can be had for a fairly mundane dinner for two. If the light has what you want, make sure you aren't overpaying and enjoy carrying it. Sure your neighbor on Instagram will make you feel cheap but that doesn't really matter. The line between seeing in the dark and not seeing in the dark is huge and not very well illuminated. :p

2. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

One thing I noticed when searching vendors for this light is that it has apparently been manufactured in 2 different versions. The manufacturer's website lists it as having Low, High, and Strobe modes, while some vendors list Moonlight, Low, and High. The OP may want to take this into account when purchasing.

T.H.Cone likes this.
  3. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

Let the cloning and outright counterfeiting begin!

tmedina, Blerv and twin63 like this.
  4. MillsHere

MillsHere Loaded Pockets

I noticed the difference in modes also. One of them might be a newer version and the description just hasn't been changed or they're still selling the older version.

I guess the moonlight version would be more practical considering it's only a single aaa but I like the idea of being able to have spontaneous raves :)

theirishboxer likes this.
  5. Blerv

Blerv Loaded Pockets

IMHO, moonlight is best on a light with at least three modes as the jump from .2 lumens to 60 (or whatever) doesn't leave a middle ground.

twin63 likes this.
  6. Guitarman19853

Guitarman19853 Empty Pockets

Pretty sure it's a Thorfire TS05 that Adam modifies in this episode of Tested:

As such, I just ordered one and it's incoming on Wednesday.

[​IMG]

twin63 likes this.
  7. Guitarman19853

Guitarman19853 Empty Pockets

Ok I was totally wrong, Adam even says in the beginning that it's a JETBeam. And now I see that it's an E3S.

Oh well, the Thorfire is still fantastic. Extremely bright and I like the metal button. The machining on it is flawless and it's barely bigger than a AA diameter wise.

This thing will now permanently be in my pocket.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

T.H.Cone and twin63 like this.
  8. Blood

Blood Empty Pockets

Thorfire sent me some flashlights in exchange for writing reviews on Amazon for them. So a lot of the reviews you see probably came about thay way. They dont require a 5 star review, they just ask that you are honest. I completed my obligation to write amazon reviews and am writting this purely because I genuinely liked the lights I got and was googling it and came across this post. I was surprised by thorfire, I was expecting bell and Howell taclight quality at that price, but the two lights I got from them have both been very nice. They are not quite as nice as premium name brand lights, but they are also considerably cheaper and nicer than other lights I have gotten at the same price point such as bushnell pro lights.

The only things I didn't like about the lights i got is that it defaults to high and cycles down and you have to turn it on then half press to change modes rather than half press from an off position. Both of those are just a personal preference though. Also considering a lot of other lights in thorfires price range force you to cycle though all the modes to turn it off or don't have modes it could be worse. For the price I definitely recommend them.

The tail switch is a little squeaky when half pressing but other than that they seem well constructed.

Personally I am a fan of fenix flashlights and will buy something from them if i have the cash but if I was looking for a budget flashlight I wouldn't hesitate to buy something from thorfire based on my experience with them.

9. Blaablaaguy

Blaablaaguy Empty Pockets

Hi,

I have a thorfire pf04, been carrying it for months now, and its been working well. I don't have any experience with expensive lights though, but it works for me :)

10. turbo6

turbo6 Loaded Pockets

I picked up a Thorfire C8s about a month ago and more recently a BLF Q8 (made by Thorfire).

The C8s certainly doesn't feel like a $17 light - very well built, very clean beam profile with excellent throw. Feels very balanced in your hand with a good tail switch. Larger flared head to achieve distance but it's still wonderfully compact. Great light.

The Q8 is just an absolute beast. Such a robust UI, smooth ramping, so many options. I love the glowing indicator switch and it is built extremely well for its price, everything is spot on. It's by far the brightness light I own.

I can't comment on longevity yet but thus far, I wouldn't hesitate to buy more of their products.

11. david57strat

david57strat EDC Junkie!!!

12. Chips177

Chips177 Loaded Pockets

I just got back into town last night from a long trip and had a Thorfire TG06S waiting for me. I received a discount from Thorfire to buy the light and do a review, but I won't sugar coat anything. I will say that first impressions are very positive with one major negative: the light has no mode memory and always starts on high. For this reason I will never use a 14500 in it for EDC and utilize the full 500 lumens. I know myself too well and know that I'll forget I'm about to get blasted with 500 lumens while looking for something I dropped and blind myself. That's why I always cycle my lights with mode memory back to their medium setting before turning it off.

13. dmattaponi

dmattaponi Loaded Pockets

I guess having started my edc flashlight carrying habit back in the days of the incandescent Maglight Solitaire, and then with the incan Surefire 6P, back when Surefire touted their 60 lumen lamps out as being near death-ray blindingly bright, I still find anything over 60 lumens pretty useful for just about any task. Nowadays, just about any AA or AAA Chinese light will put that out and more (and less), with a nice selection of modes and mode spacing. I've learned to like these "cheap" lights quite a bit. Although I have no experience with Thorfire, I have bought a bunch of the Thrunite lights (yes, after seeing so many positive Youtube reviews) since early 2016. In total I have somewhere near a couple of dozen. All of them AA & AAA. I've also given quite a few as gifts. All of them have performed perfectly with not a bit of trouble. My Fenix, 4Sevens, Surefire, and Mags have all been relegated to backup status. As a matter of fact, I keep surfing the Internet looking to satisfy my flashlight purchasing urges with some other brands, but just can't seem to find any that do what I like a flashlight to do, any better than my Thrunites. If the Thorfire lights are half as good as the Thrunites (in my experience), I think you'll like them a lot.

Last edited by dmattaponi, Mar 6, 2018
    #33 dmattaponi, Mar 6, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
  14. turbo6

turbo6 Loaded Pockets

I've used the Q8 a lot in the past few months and I'm very impressed with the build quality - I know this is sort of an atypical example, but it does show Thorfire is pretty capable when it comes to lights. [​IMG]

15. dml24

dml24 Loaded Pockets

Concur with the others suggesting that the Thorfire light is worth taking a chance on. Thrunite makes some very good budget lights. I use the TN4A a very good 4XAA light.
    Thrunite makes some lights similar to the Thorfire you are considering. Most of my lights are Fenix, E12, E05, LD09, TK15 and TK47UE. Along with the TN4A I have good EDC lights E12 and LD09, keychain E05, room lighting and distance lights are the TN4A, TK15 and TK47UE.

Would like to add more, but justifying the expense when I have what I need, actually more than I need.
    As you mentioned. These forums are good place to find ways to spend a lot of dollars.

16. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

I've got thorfire vg15. Bright enough and pretty compact for an 18650.

17. turbo6

turbo6 Loaded Pockets

I've spent a bit more time with both of my Thorfire lights (C8s & Q8) including some heavy rain use and a brief power outage as well as the basic night time tasks.

I'm still very impressed. The C8s is a good budget thrower, very well rounded light and a decent option in the $20 range. It's not quite an all purpose light like some other similar priced lights (Wowtac A1 etc) but it throws well and has a usable interface with a nice moonlight mode.

Of course the BLF Q8 is still amazing too. Probably the most impressive thing I've seen them involved in. Not a pocket light by any means, but it definitely packs a punch at a reasonable price.

18. charlie fox

charlie fox Loaded Pockets

I’ve got both the PF01 and 02 - both are solid performers.