1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

This saddens me...

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by David L. Holt, Mar 10, 2013.

1. David L. Holt

David L. Holt Loaded Pockets

This always saddens me:
    [​IMG]
    6 LEDs, 18 Lumens, originally $15 and just crap compared to any of the lights on this forum.

whoozle and joelbnyc like this.
  2. Fabregas485
    • In Omnia Paratus

Fabregas485 Loaded Pockets

Tell me about it. Someone I know brought a torch that was about 10 lumen for about £10. I felt so sorry for them I gave them my fenix e11.

Mighty Max and Gryffin like this.
  3. mwoj

mwoj Loaded Pockets

It is sad. At school the power went out during a concert, so a teacher came out with two really big lights that were 50 lumens tops combined and bigger than bricks. My Tank007 was brighter and had more throw then the two! It was pretty bad.

4. David L. Holt

Considering the a Streamlight Stylus and a Fenix E05 are just a couple of bucks more and brighter with a better build...

Of course I prefer my EagleTac D25LC2, but 700+ lumens is a bit much for most people... lol.

joelbnyc likes this.
  5. hiljentaa

hiljentaa Loaded Pockets

It's incredible how terrible mass-market flashlights are.

While looking at a house a few weeks ago, the realtor busted out this ridiculous plastic housed multi D-cell brick light in an attempt to light up the utilities downstairs. It was probably about 25-40 lumens and had about 20 feet of throw...

I grabbed the D25A Mini from my pocket. It worked much better to say the least.

rongallant, =RedFox= and kikaida like this.
  6. keith1234
    • In Omnia Paratus

keith1234 Loaded Pockets

That's like the Energizer led penlight 11 lumens off 2 AAA batteries and IIRC it 's runtime is 16 hours. Completely pathetic!!

7. Gryffin
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gryffin Loaded Pockets

:nah_disagree:

Good for you! One more saved from the Dark Side!

keith1234 likes this.
  8. ItsHardToKnow

ItsHardToKnow Loaded Pockets

mass-market, this is true.
    its a lot about availability. yes, the Fenix stuff is just a little more and a lot more output from a smaller source, but not all are comfortable with buying online, or going to gun shows to purchase these items

kikaida likes this.
  9. David L. Holt

I'm actually happy to see more places carrying Fenix etc. Jax, a local outdoor place here, Gander Mountain, Sportsman's Warehouse, and some Ace Hardwares carry Streamlight, Surefire, or Fenix now. I've even seen 47s

10. ItsHardToKnow

ItsHardToKnow Loaded Pockets

i've not seen Fenix at our Gander :( just GSX and streamlight....NO THANKS!

11. NeverAnonymous
    • In Omnia Paratus

NeverAnonymous Loaded Pockets

I see what you did there!! ;)

12. Blerv

Blerv Loaded Pockets

They are marketing to a different group. It's easier to explain how something has a dozen "high power LED's!" instead of just one.

Another example is many people in the states who are obsessed with a sports car's 0-60 time. It's only a small part of a car's performance spectrum but car makers gear accordingly to avoid the 2-3 shift. This often messes up the entire gearing system over just designing for proper intervals to match the powerband.

Give the people what they want I guess... :p

Gnarly likes this.
  13. Random Dan

Random Dan Loaded Pockets

But at least then you have a car that's good at one thing, drag racing. A dozen "high power LED's" ain't good for :censored:.

keith1234 likes this.
  14. Blerv

Blerv Loaded Pockets

No there isn't anything good about those multi-led lights in comparison.

There isn't any disadvantage to properly spaced gears except for fuel economy (depending on how many gears and if there is an O/D). The sport though tends to favor control than a ton of shifting, ie 2-speed autos and a plethora of horses :).

15. Turtle75

Turtle75 Loaded Pockets

When it comes to a light, you certainly get what you pay for!

However I do have a little Energizer LED single AA battery that is quite impressive.

16. sarxsvt

sarxsvt Loaded Pockets

We had the power go out for a few minutes (30 or so) at work last week.

A couple of the building maintenance guys found some of the old 2D yellow Rayovac incandescent lights. I actually burst into laughter at how little light those generate.

My Solarforce/Nailbender xml2 would basically illuminate entire departments at a time. Grabbed my headlamp (Black Diamond storm) and Eagletac G25mkii out of the car people were astounded at how much light things can generate....

I love the "Why do you have all these flashlights?" question.

Because: I like to see things in the dark? Like .. say when the power goes out.

whoozle and keith1234 like this.
  17. KeyeEl

KeyeEl EDC Junkie!!!!!

People I show lights to usually have this "a-ha" moment. I don't think I've converted anyone though unless it was directly. Bought my father a Fenix for Christmas last year to replace his multiple led cheaply from Walmart.

Good lights are small enough and cheap enough that there really isn't any reason NOT to carry one nowadays.

gibbsrule9 likes this.
  18. Kilted1

Kilted1 Loaded Pockets

True, but for even cheaper you can get one that's super crappy! This society just keeps refusing to learn about getting what we pay for.

keith1234 likes this.
  19. Fabregas485
    • In Omnia Paratus

Fabregas485 Loaded Pockets

Which is why I want a 2000+ lumen torch xD

gibbsrule9 likes this.
  20. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

That's the same thing at my job. We have this new pm security guard that does checks every few hrs and he walks around with his flashlight and literally checks every single crack of the facility with such urgency and seriousness. I talked to the night shift security and apparently he's obsessed with his new flashlight as he was bragging about how cool it is, and that he bought it for $28 at Home Depot. If only he could see what my d25a on 14500 or Maelstrom x10 could do. Lol