1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

this really peeves me off...

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by mynameisfoxtrot, May 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shrap

shrap Loaded Pockets

Re: this really peeves me off...

On 9/11, the Afghan "government" was the Taliban, which had connections with Bin Laden.

Government is in quotes because Afghanistan has been in a civil war for control for a long time before 9/11 (and still is).

2. Circle of Owls

Circle of Owls Loaded Pockets

That may have been their intent, but that was not what they did. There is no justification for targeting completely unrelated targets - innocent civilians. This is nothing less than justifying terrorism, and I think it is disgusting.

None of the governments involved is innocent, but the kind of isolationism proposed by the article would have us do nothing but stand by and watch as third-world tyrants, and warlords carry out horrible crimes against their own people.

3. Hectorx

Hectorx Loaded Pockets

I vote we pull out of the Middle East and invade Canada... :evilgrin:

4. phill

phill Loaded Pockets

As one of the greatest men of history said, "An eye for an eye, and soon the whole world is blind."

Maybe that is the unintentional genius of the poster. Whilst the original intent is a very narrow world view, in its simplicity it can start discussions like this thread.

Also history started before Sept 11th. Perhaps that is the ultimate message that we in the west have been getting involved in other countries, propping up bad guys to help our goals of the time and that is "what goes around, comes around", where the enemy of our enemy have repeatedly throughout history been proven to end up being our enemy too.

Bush was actually correct that the best way to help the middle east, and by virtue help us, is to bring democracy to the area. It holds back radicalising elements and like a virus it can spread once you have achieved a foothold in just one or two countries. Whilst his methods were flawed if i were GW that is what id like my legacy to be and hopefully with Obama we can follow through with those goals. Maybe then we can end "what goes around" and there wont be any "comes around". Yes we can?

Blair likes this.
  5. powernoodle

powernoodle Loaded Pockets

That is not possible, since the troops support the war - evidenced by their voluntary service. One cannot say, "I support you, but not who you are, what you do, and the values you hold dear."

Are you describing the liberals - like Pelosi, Reid and Hillary - who overwhelmingly voted in favor of the resolution authorizing military action? Link.

6. phill

phill Loaded Pockets

This is probably where the thread descends to anarchy and gets locked.

To say you cannot support the troops without supporting the war is a pretty offensive thing to say.

Blair likes this.
  7. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave Loaded Pockets

Can you not disagree with the actions of a your child/parent/sibling/loved one and still not love them any less?

Perhaps some believe that the war doesn't reflect the values they believe their military to stand for?

I'm proud of my country's peacekeepers, but that certainly doesn't mean I agree with everything that has been done by them.

Blair likes this.
  8. jehan60188

jehan60188 Loaded Pockets

what a clever poster
    sorry you're peeved, but that's the great thing about america- you're allowed to say things that might offend people. if you don't like what they're saying, then look away.

9. scríbhneoir
    • Administrator

scríbhneoir Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

A friendly reminder: Let's remain civil.

:peg2:

10. defloyd

defloyd Loaded Pockets

Here's another good quote, "Kill or be killed." and let's face it, suicide bombers are going to kill themselves AND kill others, militant, civil, American soil or foreign. They're going to "poke their own eyes out" to "poke out the eyes of others". It's not about revenge, it's about prevention.

11. bpa

bpa Loaded Pockets

It is worth remembering that we armed the Taliban back when the Soviets were invading Afghanistan. There were voices even then warning that we may be arming terrorists, which in fact turned out to be the case. We achieved our short term objective, which was to have proxies drive the Soviets out, much as they did us in Vietnam. We sowed the wind and reaped the whirlwind.

Whatever way you want to interpret that poster, the weapons we provided in Afghanistan ended up arming one of the most repressive, benighted, Anti-Western regimes that the world has seen since Iran. And those very weapons are being trained on American troops to this day.

12. phill

phill Loaded Pockets

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lernaean_Hydra

13. RacerX

RacerX Loaded Pockets

I really shouldn't respond to this but I shall. First of all, while our Armed Forces are doing voluntary service, the orders given to them are very much mandatory. They also cannot just quit when they don't like or agree with the orders given...

I didn't even look at your link. I described the "CIC" of our Armed Forces, which is an acronym for "Commander-in-Chief" also known as the "President of the United States"

However, your sarcasm has been noted, finally. How could I miss this???

Blair likes this.
  14. rsitter

rsitter EDC Junkie!!!!!

dude, its 3 years later. the end.

15. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

I would, but that poster wasn't created by someone who wants to stimulate a thought-provoking discussion regarding the Iraq War. It was created by a pathetic attention-seeking jerk who simply wanted to tick off as many people as possible, and laugh in glee at the attention his clever but ultimately empty and meaningless poster would generate.

It's not WORTH a lengthy, honest, thought-provoking reply. (Wasn't worth it 3 years ago. Not worth it now.) And thus, will not get one from me.

Here's an appropriate, emotional, rebuttal ... "Marine rescues kitten."

(Okay, it was in Afghanistan instead of Iraq. But, whatever. Who else thinks MY poster is a helluva lot better to look at than the one above?)

[​IMG]

16. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Ironically, quite a few soldiers get offended when someone says, "I support the troops, but I don't support the war." To them, you're basically saying you don't support their efforts. You don't support what they're out there doing, and in many cases dying for. Those efforts include bringing stability to a part of the world where women are considered less valuable than livestock. Hunting down terrorists who are actively training to come here to America and commit more examples of 9/11. (Make no mistake, there is definitely a connection. And quite frankly, a rather blatant one.) So how could you possibly say you're supporting the troops? And that's why many of them find that statement offensive.

warchild likes this.
  17. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

My Dad used to say that the best way to support the troops is to give them what they need to do their job as quickly as possible, and as safely as possible so they can come home as soon as possible.

Sent by Owl Post

18. evolutionglitch
    • In Omnia Paratus

evolutionglitch Loaded Pockets

FOOOOOOD FIIIIGHT!!!!... :frantic:

...oh :( wrong cafeteria... carry on...

19. valhalla

valhalla Loaded Pockets

I choose to ignore the poster's message. My rebuttal to it would seem small minded and violent. While I admit I have a closed world view I also admit to myself others have the right to their views. The respect this community member's show to one another is what interests me. Good on you guys and gals! Happy Independence Day!

20. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Ice, Ice, Tigre

Gee, this was a happy thread to bring back for no reason after 4 years...
    Great way to add cheer to the 4th. :rolleyes::nah_disagree:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.