1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

This might be fun...what super popular edc items have you NEVER purchased?

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by dmattaponi, Nov 7, 2020.

1. dmattaponi

dmattaponi Loaded Pockets

Through the years of surfing edc forums, I have been tempted by and purchased many items after seeing them promoted time and again on the Internet. Most have long since been forgotten. A few have become my standard edc, and then there are a few super popular edc items for which I’ve never felt the appeal. I thought it might be fun for a change to instead of listing our chosen edc, to list a few very popular edc items that we haven’t ever been tempted to buy. Of course this is just my not so humble opinion (three specific brands that I won’t name come to mind),but these three in particular I see regularly talked about on the forums and YouTube, and I wouldn’t have anything to do with any one of them :)

1) overpriced and overhyped pocket knives with all of the aesthetic appeal of a cinderblock, that won’t do anything for me that a decent run of the mill pocket knife won’t do. Buying one would be bad enough, but collections of basically identical knives with slight variations?? I don’t get it.

2) edc channel locks...what can I say about these other than, “I cant even imagine”...and I can have a wild imagination :)

3) pocket pry tools that cost an arm and a leg but don’t really accomplish much other than posing for photo ops. No thanks.

What are yours?

For the record there is one that I have been tempted by many times, but each time I’ve come close to buying one, I’ve talked myself out of it because I just don’t think it would be very useful. That would be one of the NAA mini revolvers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#1 dmattaponi, Nov 7, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2020
    ox71 likes this.
  2. Bad Company

Bad Company Loaded Pockets

3. neo71665

neo71665 Loaded Pockets

I have never purchased any beads, pry tools, or a lighter that costs more than $20.

That said I have all 3 because somebody close to me knows I'm into EDC done enough research to see they are popular items and gifted one of the 3 to me. My g/f gave me an auto knife last year with a chinese knockoff bead. My mother gifts me a mid range zippo every few years because she knows I like zippos. My little brother gave me a leatherman keychain pry tool thing years ago. I can't ever remember using it but it lives on my wallet chain because he gave it to me.

Something I've never and don't own is titanium, or copper trinkets. I will also add brass trinkets if you don't count zippos. I love the look of titanium just can't justify the cost of the items. I'm an electrician so I deal with copper enough on a daily basis. Brass and copper aint durable so I don't understand pry tools and items made out of it, I'm rough enough on aluminum lights, don't want anything softer.

dmattaponi and Bad Company like this.
  4. charlie fox

charlie fox Loaded Pockets

I’ve never been a fan of the cleaver style blades that seemed to be all the rage a couple of months ago (looks like the craze is dying out). Never understood the aesthetic. Also, I don’t get the channel lock thing...I’ve got a set in my tool box, but wouldn’t carry them unless I needed to. Oh well; to each their own.

5. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

Fidget toys/spinners. I’m not sure how popular these actually are, but I see them for sale on some of the sites I frequent. I understand the reasoning behind them, I’ve just never personally felt the attraction or the need.

twoisone, kikaida and dmattaponi like this.
  6. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

A maxped, 5.11 or first tactical bag. Been very close on numerous occasions but could never justify the cost. Ditto a leatherman juice. Nice enough but ridiculously priced in the Uk.

dmattaponi likes this.
  7. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

That list is shrinking fast. I guess I’m not all that smart cause I usually have to buy something before I realize why it’s useless (for me). Even so, I can still claim to never have bought fidget spinners, hanks, coins, patches, branded apparel or grappling hooks (super popular might be a stretch, but the longer I can make this list the smarter and more stoic I will appear).
    What I am pretty good at, is avoiding big items. However hyped, I’ve never given into big knives, big lights or big anything.

All in all my quest for EDC items has matured quite a bit in the couple of years I’ve been into it. It takes a while to figure it out. Still I have one silly item left to buy, that perfectly fits the bill for this thread - the Brasswerx prybar in brass. I’ve stopped chasing it though, so who knows if it will ever happen. I don’t mind so much burning the money, but I can’t stand wasting my time hunting down custom made hens teeth on Instagram.

FiaOlleDog, jcombs and dmattaponi like this.
  8. MatBlack

MatBlack Loaded Pockets

The fire steel / knife combo seems more trendy than useful. A Bic lighter and a vaseline saturated cotton ball has started many a fire for me.

jcombs and dmattaponi like this.
  9. ox71

ox71 Loaded Pockets

Leatherman free anything, magnetised tools cannot replace changeable bits.
    Big I design screwdriver thingy, a Gerber armbar would better suit budgets.
    Titanium pens, or anything in titanium really.
    Field Notes, rite in the rain has a more pocketable option.
    A backpack to fill up with nonsensical items for everyday carry when a small shoulder bag with the essentials for the day is all that's needed.
    Folding knives costing more than $100, they may bring joy to those that show them off, but if you don't do stupid things on a daily basis, a $40 Kershaw made in china will do just fine for opening Amazon boxes and cutting paracord lol.

dmattaponi likes this.
  10. dmattaponi

dmattaponi Loaded Pockets

Lol, thanks for playing along everyone. I’m enjoying reading. Haha, I forgot about grappling hooks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PragmaticMurphyist likes this.
  11. Boy SureFire

Boy SureFire May The Bridges I Burn Light The Way

I'm with you, fidget gear is one area of EDC I've never particularly felt the need to join.

dmattaponi likes this.
  12. MatBlack

MatBlack Loaded Pockets

EDC Whistles? Those have puzzled me.

dmattaponi likes this.
  13. PragmaticMurphyist

PragmaticMurphyist Loaded Pockets

Zippos! They look extremely cool but, as a non-smoker, they would be an expensive paperweight!

karlito and dmattaponi like this.
  14. Sentinel-14

Sentinel-14 Loaded Pockets

popular EDC items that I have not purchased.... hmm.....

Never bought any kind of prybar or Atwood tool. Just can't see a need for it in my EDC.

Never bought one of those key-bar things: I don't have enough keys to need one. House, office, shed, truck, all on a normal split ring has worked fine for decades.

Never bought any of the keychain greeblies, like keychain lights, pens, tweezers, etc. I dont want that stuff on my keyring, bulking up my pocket.

Never bought an EDC lighter, of any kind. I simply do not have need for fire on a regular basis. I have a few Zippos I've acquired as part of subscription boxes but I don't carry them or even keep fuel for them.
    (I do keep a fire kit in my truck emergency bag, with a bic, matches, ferro rod, and a fresnel lens, so fire's never more than a few yards away if I do need it.)

Never bought anything made from copper. In my (semi-informed) opinion, it seems susceptible to damage as copper's a relatively soft metal, and for the weight I'd rather have more durable stainless steel. I also dont like the way copper patinas over time.

Never bought anything brass either, for the same reasons. Heavy, soft, not as durable as stainless, don't like the patina.

Never bought anything titanium. It's prohibitively expensive for the applications I see it used in, and the weight savings over steel seems negligible. Using pens as an example, I have a stainless Bastion bolt pen, and at 2.8oz. it's not that heavy in my opinion. The Titanium version is about half the weight at 1.6oz, but nearly double the cost. My MachineEra original in stainless is 1.3 oz, and when holding the Bastion in one hand and the MachineEra in the other, sure I can notice the weight difference. But its not that significant. I think once you get below a certain threshold the weight savings of titanium is negligible, to the point of not being worth the increased cost. In aircraft? Sure. In pocket gear, not so much.

Never bought a triple-digit knife. My most expensive was around $90, and I cannot justify spending more when the value just is not there. A Sebenza is nice, sure, but my $20 Rat 1 functions just as well with perfectly serviceable D2 steel. I'd love to have a ZT0452, but the price is ridiculous.

Never bought anything for EDC that doesn't have a functional purpose. No fidget toys, no beads, knucks, bottle openers... I don't even wear jewelry anymore. Even my watches are worn for function, not fashion.

The opinions expressed above are my own and pertain only to my edc. I do not criticize others for what they choose to buy and carry, even if I would not do so myself. Different strokes, and all that. :)

Last edited by Sentinel-14, Nov 9, 2020
    #14 Sentinel-14, Nov 9, 2020
    Bad Company and dmattaponi like this.
  15. victograph

victograph Loaded Pockets

Up until last year it would have been a benchmade knife. Wanted one, but could never justify the cost, when I have other bills to deal with. All 3 of my kids went together to gift me one. I carry it daily because it came from them. Have not bought titanium items just because of cost factor. At that I still have too much stuff which I have learned through health issues is just stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dmattaponi likes this.
  16. Mark_Trail

Mark_Trail Loaded Pockets

A spinner

Lähetetty minun SM-T515 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

dmattaponi likes this.
  17. neo71665

neo71665 Loaded Pockets

I'm guilty of carrying a whistle on my keychain but I squirrel hunt with dogs and frankly can't whistle worth a crap to get their attention.

dmattaponi likes this.
  18. jcombs

jcombs Loaded Pockets

I’ve tried about everything tbh, some exceptions are fidget toys, beads, hooks and anything in brass. What I haven’t done is buy a bunch of everything, especially all at once.

I only own a few knives, lights, pens, etc and they all get used. Like @aicolainen, I think you have to experiment some with what works and what doesn’t and that means owning a few things to get a feel for what is “necessary”.

I have 2 sets of edc gear, 1 for rough duty use and another nicer set that really hasn’t been carried much lately, because COVID, but I did go through 30+ knives, lights, pens and watches before I figured all of this out. Once I did I haven’t bought much since and don’t have anything I’m really looking for, just a part of the process, IMO.

dmattaponi and aicolainen like this.
  19. parnass

parnass Loaded Pockets

Iphone, beads, bracelets, fire starters, fidget spinners, knives costing over $120 (US), skull jewelry, morale patches, pistols, credit card type single piece multitools, copper items, expensive pens, tactical pens, fancy hanks, Billy Bob teeth, ...

Last edited by parnass, Nov 9, 2020
    #19 parnass, Nov 9, 2020
  20. MatBlack

MatBlack Loaded Pockets

When I was about 12, I decided to teach myself how to whistle. It took a week or two of trying before I figured it out. I can whistle as loud as those who stick their fingers in their mouth but I do it without using my fingers. I have to say it's the most useful "stupid human trick" I've mastered.

In case you want to give it a try:https://www.wikihow.com/Whistle-Loud