1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

This idea will save we,the Taxpayers, BIG $$$

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by elkhills, Feb 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bpa

bpa Loaded Pockets

You should be proud of your culture, yourself and your determined parents who enabled you to live here. You seem to be experiencing something common to recent immigrants - proud of what they achieved and rightfully resentful of being viewed the same as the most recent immigrant. It's not fair, but typical. Jews, Irish, Vietnamese, Japanese, Chinese, and Filipinos can all tell you similar stories.

For example, the first wave of Jews came in the 17th Century, and were mostly Sephardic (Iberian and Dutch). When the Central and Eastern European Jews immigrated in the 19th and 20th Century, they were looked down upon by the more established immigrants. But like all immigrants, they pulled themselves up by their bootstraps, and are actually now the majority of US Jews.

I attended a fancy charity dinner a few years back when I was doing such things, and I met a journalist whose family started here as migrant workers. He observed that the Latino population here will always be perceived as first generation because of the volume of immigration.

This culture treats all immigrants the same: like dirt. It takes at least a generation for each new group to gain acceptance.
    Don't worry about it. It will pass, and you are here, part of the dream, and part of what makes this country great.

2. DiabloSc(+)pe

DiabloSc(+)pe Loaded Pockets

3. peacefuljeffrey

This is bunk. I pay whatever it costs for my orange juice (surely not $6 per half gallon, though!) but I do not send missives to the growers/producers telling them that I want them to hire illegals to keep the price down. They decide that on their own, and I as the consumer just pay what it costs for the things that the manufacturers produce. I don't accept your assessment of blame on my part. It's not "US," it's those in positions to be able to take advantage of the illegals, and it's the illegals who are willing to get taken advantage of because it's actually a step up for them from where they came from. But you shouldn't be trying to include "the rest of us" in this blame game. If you feel guilty personally, that's your prerogative, but I don't consider myself culpable for these social ills.

It sounds to me like you're saying that they have us over a barrel. It's like the crooked people have gotten lucky in that we actually don't want to go to the expense to see that their wrongdoing is punished. I suppose there has never been a better time to be a leech on the system than right now. :shrug:

4. scríbhneoir
    • Administrator

scríbhneoir Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

Thread now closed.
    :peg2:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.