1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

ThirstyTurtle's EDC

Discussion in 'Show us pics of your EDC!' started by ThirstyTurtle, Jun 29, 2015.

1. ThirstyTurtle
    • +1 Supporter

ThirstyTurtle Loaded Pockets

Hi everyone! My name is Matt, I'm in my late 20's and I live in NC. I'm a Civil Engineer and I'm mostly into knives, watches, flashlights, and keychain things.

I've been EDCing since before I knew what I was really doing. Almost always carried a pocket knife since high school, and in true EDCer fashion, I was never quite satisfied with what I had and was looking for the next thing to get that would better suit my needs. I've been hard at it the last couple of years primarily with flashlights and I've just recently gotten back into knives and I'm really digging keychains, watches, and wallets now as well.

As of this initial post I'm carrying the following:

Phone: LG G3 in white
    Wallet: SlimFold Micro in gray w/ orange trim
    Watch: Seiko Sports 100 Chronograph on a Eulit Perlon strap
    Light: Trustfire Mini-01 modded by Vinh with his DriverVN V2, a 4000k XM-L2, and an AR coated lens. Run it on Efest IMR 16340.
    Knife: Spyderco Caly 3, G10 scales, VG-10 blade
    Notebook: Field Notes in black
    Pen: Maxmadco Ti Bolt
    Keychain: TEC UFO w/ McGizmo #1 clips and TEC Python clips on a TEC P7 with a SAK MiniChamp Alox

Here are some pics of things I'm carrying or have carried:

Keys
    [​IMG]

Buck Marksman 830
    [​IMG]

Trustfire Mini-01vn
    [​IMG]

My heavily-patina'd Beta QRv2
    [​IMG]

Pilot Custom Heritage 92 and my dad's Tesla Model S Signature key
    [​IMG]

White Lamy Safari
    [​IMG]

Zebralight SC62w, I carried this for almost a year, by FAR the longest I've carried a single light. It finally became a bit bulky for me.
    [​IMG]

And here is my place setting at a good friend's wedding. Obviously my friends are aware of my flashlight hobby.
    [​IMG]

I'll be adding to this thread from time to time with photos of new things I'm carrying or thinking of carrying as well as my reasons for getting and getting rid of my EDC gear. By the way, I almost always sell what I no longer carry in order to buy new stuff I want to carry, so it's rare that I keep something I no longer EDC. For instance, the Lamy Safari and Pilot Custom Heritage 92 are both currently for sale and I'm contemplating selling the Buck Marksman 830.

I currently have coming to me a Benchmade Model 32 balisong which will replace the Spyderco Caly 3 for at least a little while in a (slightly illegal) rotation. I had a Model 51 years ago and miss it dearly.

I'll post some pics of my full current EDC setup tomorrow.

Cheers!

Nick4305, KODIAKman, Gallows and 15 others like this.
  2. ManVsLawn

ManVsLawn EDC Junkie!!!!!

I like your keychain and the modded actual keys. It removes a lot of bulk from them, for sure.

What is that black thing on the far right in your keychain setup?

I also like the Zebralight. I'm highly considering one when I get back on my feet regarding finances.:help:

3. ThirstyTurtle
    • +1 Supporter

Thanks!

So the black thing is the circuit board from my VW "flip" key that I removed from the comparatively enormous housing and wrapped using heatshrink. Here are some pics:

Size comparison between housing and circuit board:
    [​IMG]

Wrapped in electrical tape so the top and bottom are completely covered:
    [​IMG]

Wrapped in heatshrink:
    [​IMG]

Size comparison between original product and final product:
    [​IMG]

Size comparison:
    [​IMG]

Here you can see the physical "key" part that I was using before:
    [​IMG]

And here you can see the size difference after I cut down the key and put it on a master link along with a cut down version of the key to my wife's car:
    [​IMG]

I never carried the remote before because it was simply too bulky but it's a minimal amount of additional size and weight now and I've really enjoyed having the keyless entry, especially when it's raining or my hands are full.

You should definitely get an SC62w if you're interested in one! Absolutely phenomenal light and one of the few EDC items that I kept after I stopped carrying it.

4. ThirstyTurtle
    • +1 Supporter

As promised, here are a few pictures of my full current EDC!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I need to up my picture game a bit and I'll try to do that in the future, but for now at least you can see what I'm carrying.

The wallet has been perfect as I'm all about the thinnest possible profile. I carry only 4-5 cards and rarely have cash but like to have the ability to easily carry cash on the occasion that I have some.

The watch is casual enough that I wear it all the time but not so casual that it looked out of place with a suit at a wedding last weekend. I love the super intense glow, the alarm functionality, and timer that measures to 1/5 of a second. The Eulit Perlon strap is practically weightless and as thin as a couple sheets of paper. All good things for my small hands and wrists.

The light is small enough to fit in the 5th pocket of my work pants and side pocket that I have on most of my shorts. It'll go anywhere from ~2 lumens to ~900 lumens and has a user-programmable set of modes so I can decide whether I want to start on high or low, how many modes I want, and whether or not I want mode memory. 4000k tint is nearly incandescent and very inviting and pleasant in my opinion.

The knife I freaking LOVE. I've owned it for nearly two years and it's the best knife I've ever owned to be honest. I got it in a trade on CPF and don't remember the exact trades but I essentially traded a $30 light for a $50 light, then traded that $50 light for a $70 light, then traded that $70 light for what I believe is about $100 knife. Pretty cool right?! The deep carry wire pocket clips is epic; not too flashy, no sharp edges, carries as deep as I like. The blade holds its edge quite well but is easily sharpened to hair-popping thin on a ceramic mug (always readily available at home and work). Very attractive, zero wiggle on lockup. I'm currently considering polishing the blade to a mirror finish for a change.

Just recently started carrying a notebook and pen but so far I really like the Field Notes. However, I must not use them fast enough as it's falling apart from being in my back pocket so I've had to duct tape it in a few places. Don't know how I ever operated without pen and paper on my person all the time though. Use it primarily for lists. Plan on buying "Word" notebooks in orange once this one is done.

The pen has been very good so far. This is the titanium Maxmadco Bolt. I originally purchased the stainless steel version but it was way too heavy to write with. Sold it and got on the waiting list for the titanium version which I just received a couple weeks ago. Aside from wishing it had some knurling on the grip (because I'm used to my Zebra F-701), it's the perfect pen for me. I use the Itoya gel refill and have no complaints. I modded all four of my F-701/402's to use the same refill.

Adding a dangler to my keys changed everything. Primarily it allowed me to carry more things without getting irritated about it. I HATE bunched up keys at the bottom of my pocket (or anything at the bottom of my front pockets for that matter, aside from my phone). Since adding the P7 (and then the UFO to flatten everything out) I've added the key fob for my car and the SAK MiniChamp Alox. I used to reserve my keychain STRICTLY for keys. Now I can carry more and it feels like less.

5. Lou_G
    • +4 Supporter

Lou_G Banned

Nice carry! I think as a ThirstyTurtle, a nice Hydro Flask would be a welcome addition to your gear! :p

6. ThirstyTurtle
    • +1 Supporter

I don't necessarily "carry" it all the time but I pretty much always have my Camelbak Chute in reach. I keep it wrapped in a penguin Freaker! (made in my town of Wilmington, NC)

[​IMG]

Also, I came VERY close to pulling the trigger on a Hydro Flask True Pint today but ended up going with a Yeti Rambler 20oz instead. My wife is getting it for me for my birthday next week!

7. ManVsLawn

ManVsLawn EDC Junkie!!!!!

TT - thanks for the information. I wasn't sure - How does it hold up if it gets wet (dropped in a puddle?)

I really, really like the Zebralight. I don't think anyone needs to sell me on it. :giggle: It is only a matter of time before I purchase one myself.

8. ThirstyTurtle
    • +1 Supporter

Don't know, haven't had it happen, it's certainly not waterproof, but it wasn't really before either. I think a quick drop in water wouldn't be a problem but prolonged submersion would probably be an issue.

9. ThirstyTurtle
    • +1 Supporter

The used Benchmade Model 32 I ordered was in rough shape so I returned it and ordered a Model 51 yesterday, can't wait! I've dearly missed the 51 I bought in 2009 and sold in 2011.

Strange thing, I went back and found the receipt from BladeHQ in 2009 and I paid $175 for the knife. Yesterday I paid $233...how the heck did the 51 appreciate so much?! At this rate it'll be my retirement fund in 40 years.

10. ThirstyTurtle
    • +1 Supporter

Here's a Sierra Nevada Summerfest and my Spyderco Caly 3 G10/VG-10 in my backyard tonight while grilling some chicken breasts for my wife and mother-in-law and myself:
    [​IMG]

And here's the reason my mother-in-law is at our house; my 3-week-old baby girl!
    [​IMG]

Football hold!
    [​IMG]

11. ThirstyTurtle
    • +1 Supporter

In the interest of quieting my rattling keys, I added some brass washers to my two master links. I already had the washers from a recent project and I had to sand them down a bit so that they fit but not too much because I wanted the keys to be very snug and require some effort to un-nest them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My keys hardly make any noise now when I walk, so I can sneak up on people much more efficiently now!

12. ThirstyTurtle
    • +1 Supporter

Today is my birthday! My wife got me exactly what I wanted: a Yeti Rambler. This cup is freaking fantastic! Ran a little test last night: 5 ice cubes each in the Rambler and a Tervis Tumbler, 10 hours later the Tumbler was completely water and the Rambler only had 1.5 cubes worth of water, INCREDIBLE!

I also got myself exactly what I wanted: a brand new Benchmade Model 51! Loving it so far, I really missed flipping. This thing needs a deep carry clip BAD though, thinking of asking Benchmade for another clip so I can try bending it to make it carry deeper. I'll certainly detail that process if I go that route. In the meantime, I'll be carrying it nice and high in my back wallet pocket.

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking!

Nick4305, KODIAKman, Gallows and 9 others like this.
  13. Antithetik
    • The Omnia Paratus

Antithetik EDC Junkie!!!!!

Happy Birthday, Bro! :dance:

14. ThirstyTurtle
    • +1 Supporter

A glass of Zinfandel w/ the BM51 before birthday dinner with my wife
    [​IMG]

Nick4305, KODIAKman, Gallows and 6 others like this.
  15. GiraffeHooves

GiraffeHooves EDC Junkie!!!!!

Happy birthday and great thread! I like how you modify your keys. Congratulations to you and your wife with having your baby girl!

Gallows and ThirstyTurtle like this.
  16. ThirstyTurtle
    • +1 Supporter

Updates!

I got a new wedding band! This is endlessly frustrating for my wife but it makes me happy. So I got married with a 4mm polished tungsten carbide ring. It turned out to be too tight (and too narrow for my tastes) so I got a 6mm polished ring. Wore that for a year or so and got a brushed tungsten carbide ring. Each one was only $50 so no big deal. I've been wearing the brushed 6mm ring for about 5 years now but lately I've been having to remove it when typing a lot at work because it would bother me. It's about the heaviest ring you can get so it actually would fatigue my finger a bit. Then a friend showed me his new band he got which is made out of medical-grade silicone and practically weightless compared to my ring. I had to have one! The ring is made by "QALO" and I actually got the "women's" band which is 6mm wide as I have small hands and the "men's" is pretty dang thick at 8.5mm plus they aren't sized small enough for me. Anyways the "women's" band is the same width as my current band so it makes sense. Here are a couple pics:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Comparison:
    [​IMG]

So far I'm LOVING it! The black looks awesome (IMO), I forget it's even on, it's weightless, and it flexes. The fringe benefits (not an issue for me) are you don't have to worry about it "crushing" on your finger and it's non-conductive for you welders and factory workers and mechanics and such.

I also got a new watch! It's nothing fancy and it's dirt cheap but I'm loving it. It's a Casio AE1200 (affectionately called the "Casio Royale" on Watchuseek) and I got it from Walmart for $17. I slapped it on a 20mm Perlon strap and I really like it so far. I had been looking at digital watches pretty hard for some additional functionality over my analog but the G shocks aren't very attractive to me and they're quite large. Figured I couldn't go wrong for such a cheap price. I now have 5 alarms, a timer, and a stopwatch. Plus it has world time which is pretty cool, and dual amber led back lighting. I plan on "debadging" it soon by removing all of the wording except the button labels and "Casio".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've also ordered a 22mm leather strap which I'm going to try on this to see what I think but I'm really enjoying the Perlon so far and may put the leather on my dad's old Omega that he have me.

Cheers!

Nick4305, KODIAKman, Gallows and 5 others like this.
  17. ThirstyTurtle
    • +1 Supporter

Although likely not the best idea, I've had a couple beers and been practicing my balisong moves, pretty happy with my twirl:

Looks pretty solid right?

Nick4305, Gallows, Antithetik and 2 others like this.
  18. ThirstyTurtle
    • +1 Supporter

Did a full black out on my new Casio AE1200:

[​IMG]

I opened it up with the intention of only removing the superfluous wording but the "Goof Off" I was using seriously screwed up the interior plastic bezel, so I put a couple coats of PlastiDip on it. Then I used Goo Gone and a Q-tip (and lots of elbow grease) to remove the exterior lettering.

I also put it on a higher quality (Eulit) Perlon strap which has a tighter weave and better clasp. I'm now super happy with the watch and it's aesthetics, it perfectly matches my new black wedding band.

Nick4305, KODIAKman, Gallows and 4 others like this.
  19. ThirstyTurtle
    • +1 Supporter

Wearing my 1972 Omega for an interview this morning. I only wear this thing for special occasions. My dad gave it to me for my birthday last year. He bought it brand new in 1972 when he was promoted to Senior Vice President at North Carolina National Bank (later Bank of America). He was wearing it when he married my mom and at the hospital when my brother and I were born. It was replaced by a Rolex in 1993 from my mom for his 50th birthday and sat in a drawer until last year when he gave it to me (and gave the Rolex to my older brother).

I like to wear it for interviews as it makes me feel like I've got some of my dad's supreme business awesomeness pumping through my veins.

1972 Omega w/ 1010 automatic movement on 18mm Eulit Perlon strap w/ gold hardware:
    [​IMG]

Nick4305, KODIAKman, Gallows and 3 others like this.
  20. ThirstyTurtle
    • +1 Supporter

Interview went great yesterday! I enjoyed wearing the Omega so much that I'm rocking it again today with some more casual attire:
    [​IMG]

I have been searching for a TINY o-ring for my BM51 latch (to quiet it down when flipping) and finally found some at my local Grainger yesterday. It's a 1/16" inner diameter o-ring and along with one wrap of tape, it holds to the latch tight enough to keep it from flopping around so much when I'm flipping the knife and now all you here is the handles. Makes the knife sound much more solid without such a tiny piece of metal rattling around.
    [​IMG]

I also have a "blank" titanium clip coming to me from USAKnifeMaker. It's flat and pretty thin and I plan on bending it to make a deep carry clip for the Benchmade. I'm really enjoying carrying this knife and being able to hide the flashy blue handles will make me more comfortable with carrying it in an office setting. I've been flipping it a LOT on long interstate drives, really passes the time and helps me hone my skills. Also, I used it to cut wrapped up twine off of a baby chicken's legs the other day, so it's pretty useful too!

Nick4305, KODIAKman, Gallows and 2 others like this.